Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

monochromeprincess

Posted Fri Nov 21st, 2008 8:22pm Post subject: Goals
So I wrote two poems today for this book project. And it got me thinking, if people are beginning to produce things, how are we going to go about storing them?

I mean we could post them all up. I doubt anyone would say that they wouldn't want to buy the book just because they've seen the content on the website already...but at the same time, maybe it would be a better idea to have it unseen to the vast majority.

Just a thought

mp xxxx

@dreamingshadow

taluta

Posted Fri Nov 21st, 2008 8:35pm Post subject: Goals
Hi ... sorry I haven't posted my ideas yet... real life getting in the way at the moment! It has a way of doing that... and my pc which is really on its last legs.

I shall post before the weekend is over ..

I was thinking about storage, what about a zoho.com account that we can share or smthg??? Stephen had a blog about cloud platforms or such a little while back... we could pick any one of them and open an account and just share the passord and username via private messages?

What do you think of that? We can each just have our own folder with our name on it to put our creations in?

'Tell them I came, and no one answered,
That I kept my word,' he said.
Ay, they heard his foot upon the stirrup,
And the sound of iron on stone,
And how the silence surged softly backward,
When the plunging hoofs were gone.

The Listeners
by Walter De La Mare

amberzak

Posted Fri Nov 21st, 2008 11:11pm Post subject: Goals
Amyl_nitrate said something a while back about online storage space, so there must be something. Personally I would prefer it if we kept our work on something like that where only we can see it.

taluta

Posted Sat Nov 22nd, 2008 12:04am Post subject: Goals
Hey there hun, yes, I remember that and I know someone, but for the life of me can't remember whom, did in fact open a storage space, but I think it is for images only... could be entirely wrong about that. It is in one of these threads, monochromeprincess may know without having to read them all. I remember because the password was so funny I commented on it... explodingbotty or smthg like that.

We could just use that if it is suitable ...but I do think that the work must be kept private, at the very least amongst all who are contributing... perhaps a contribution forwarded to you or such could get them the password and permit them to post to the storage site... we could be like the Web Secret Seven... ROTFL!

Jokes aside though, we will have to have this all co-ordinated nicely...that will be no small feat.

The Listeners
by Walter De La Mare

amberzak

Posted Sat Nov 22nd, 2008 12:12am Post subject: Goals
Hey there hun, yes, I remember that and I know someone, but for the life of me can't remember whom, did in fact open a storage space, but I think it is for images only... could be entirely wrong about that. It is in one of these threads, monochromeprincess may know without having to read them all. I remember because the password was so funny I commented on it... explodingbotty or smthg like that.

We could just use that if it is suitable ...but I do think that the work must be kept private, at the very least amongst all who are contributing... perhaps a contribution forwarded to you or such could get them the password and permit them to post to the storage site... we could be like the Web Secret Seven... ROTFL!

Jokes aside though, we will have to have this all co-ordinated nicely...that will be no small feat.

Yeah, it will take a lot of work. But it will be worth it in the end.

monochromeprincess

Posted Sat Nov 22nd, 2008 11:49am Post subject: Goals
Yes, the last time we mentioned this it was by amyl_nitrate, here
http://www.stephenfry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33.....p;start=75

The conservation society does have a photobucket account, which I think is what you're referring to taluta, which I'm pretty sure is images only. Although, saying that , it's quite easy just to convert written work into pictures, if it solves the storage issue. Either that or we have a pm ring, where we write down everyone who's 'in' on the project and has access to the material, and everytime someone has a new submission, they pm it round to everyone within that ring (so written submissions can be just written, whereas pictures can be linked to photobucket). Although of course, if we are voting for a private thing, we will have to change the password on the photobucket considering its already on the forum X-D . But I think a list of people included on this is a good way to start; it means we know exactly who is pledging their support for this project. Of course anyone can join at any one time.

*thinks* actually as well I remember a similar idea to the pm ring happening with e-mail - you know those sorts of things where people write stories in groups, where they write a bit more on the last bit and send it round to everyone. Does that make sense?? Everytime someone has something to add they just e-mail their stuff round everyone, in a way that all the other things that have been submitted appear below, and gradually we add more and more, so that we eventually have a big long e-mail with everyone's contributions. So we could have an e-mail ring, that might be easier. Either that or we have it coordinated by one person, that we send all submissions to something like submissionsforconservationsociety@hotmail.com and then each week that person e-mails out everything that's been submitted that week/so far so that everyone can view the progress.

Do you know what I mean? I don't think we need to get too hung up on the storage idea, I think there's a lot of ways around it.

mp xxx

@dreamingshadow

amberzak

Posted Sat Nov 22nd, 2008 1:15pm Post subject: Goals
We do have an email address. It is conservationprojectsf@gmail.com
We could use that one for submissions.
I will give the password to active members who want it, but I didn't like to put it on here because then anyone has access to it, do you know what I mean?

monochromeprincess

Posted Sat Nov 22nd, 2008 7:06pm Post subject: Goals
Yep, that's cool amberzak. I've got a list of everyone that's at least posted in this forum:

amberzak
wooden_elf
tallyg
amyl_nitrate
fryfan20
Soph
gadgetgeekgirl
taluta
EternalStudent
Soupy Twist
TinaL
pinkspider
michael
RobertBruce
monochromeprincess

So I'm presuming they are all wanting to help in some way (I'm so sorry if I've missed anyone off). Anyone else feel free to add their name.

mp xxx

@dreamingshadow

amberzak

Posted Sun Nov 23rd, 2008 11:06pm Post subject: Goals
Thanks great.

Thanks Monochromeprincess.

Also, I really want to do a competition. I have mentioned this before, but it would be a great way to generate revenue as well as awareness.

Could be part of this book (winners get published) or could be seperate from it, but if we had three different catagories (poetry, short story and art, and maybe photography) and charged say £4 per entry, we could generate some revenue. Basically, it would mean us advertising it round lots of places. I know of a few places.

It would be at international competition.

we wouldn't be able to enter, of course, but then we are submitting our own work anyway.

What do you think?

taluta

Posted Mon Nov 24th, 2008 1:02am Post subject: Goals
Thanks great.

Thanks Monochromeprincess.

Also, I really want to do a competition. I have mentioned this before, but it would be a great way to generate revenue as well as awareness.

Could be part of this book (winners get published) or could be seperate from it, but if we had three different catagories (poetry, short story and art, and maybe photography) and charged say £4 per entry, we could generate some revenue. Basically, it would mean us advertising it round lots of places. I know of a few places.

It would be at international competition.

we wouldn't be able to enter, of course, but then we are submitting our own work anyway.

What do you think?

Hey there, I think this sounds great, but we just need to be very careful as it could amount to and sounds a bit like insider trading! Which is why I understand what you are saying, that we could not enter the competition ourselves, that is good!

We also cannot (and I know none of us are) arrogant enough to assume that because we are supporting or organising this entire process that our work is somehow better or more deserving than anyone elses who may not win the competition. Perhaps in this instance we need to have a specific category for the competition winners and/or ourselves to avoid any antagonism/hypoocrasy that may arise???

I hope you understand what I mean, brain not at best right now, it is 2am.

My ideas for the book in next message.

The Listeners
by Walter De La Mare

taluta

Posted Mon Nov 24th, 2008 1:23am Post subject: Goals
OK, so here goes nothing, this is just one of the ideas I had, but I am posting it first to see what the general response or feeling is.

Suggestions please as the evolution of the idea towards something we are all happy with is a necessary process.

Firstly, the book must have a basic theme/thread the follows through. Whether the theme is to focus specifically on conservation of certain creatures or more broadly on the planet and conservation. Bearing in mind that even with this theme, it can be expanded to incorporate many different aspects of the subject. ie. environment, people/tribes etc. in areas specific to endangered species, recipes, history - what led to the current situation, environmental threats, global threats, natural heritage sites, biological factors/issues pertaining directly to the creatures etc etc etc... we shall need to either touch very briefly on a broad range or more specifically on a select few (being that the idea came from the program in production, I suggest sticking to those creatures and areas).

This will also allow those of the willing contributors who are experienced at research to use their powers

Forgive any rambling I assure you, there is cohesion in my thought processes. I am just rather tired at the moment.

My general idea, or suggestion, for the layout and pulling together of all these aspects is that of an old annual, like Girls Own and/or .. the boys equivalent thereof. I found one of my mothers in a box (which triggered the idea). It was from the 30's 0r 40's and with retro being so popular, I thought this might be a great way to pull it together and it would hopefully draw attention as one would be inclined to notice an old style book cover on the shelf amongst modern ones (should it get that far).

Also, the idea of the annual need not be exactly as they were, these had evolved quite considerably by the time I was a child in the 60's/70's.

They had all kinds of things in them, such as art, quizzes, general information, historical stories, recipes, cartoon strips, fictional stories and poetry all put together. Rather like a Magazine or the Sunday Newspaper, there is something for everyone.

Only in this instance it would be comprehensively put together, not just a random collection of tit bits. Perhaps a chapter dedicated to each creature and one to the broader problems of the planet as an intro or conclusion. Oh and BTW, I am not suggesting it be an actual ANNUAL, just in case there is confusion, just a once off, but in that format. Heck, who knows if it goes well enough... ???!!!

OK... so that is one of my ideas, the one I liked the most purely because of the scope it will allow for contributions. What say all of you???

BTW, please don't feel the need to be polite or nice, I have worked in business for over 20years, I can take criticism; in as much as I appreciate good suggestions and input in whatever form it may arise.

The Listeners
by Walter De La Mare

amberzak

Posted Mon Nov 24th, 2008 11:08am Post subject: Goals
I like the idea of an old style book, as it would make it look different,

I have to admit I have never looked at the annuals you talk about, so will need to look at them before i comment further.

As for the competition, I know what you are saying, and I have had the same thoughts go through my head. Splitting up ther book would be quite a good idea I think. Also, not only different cataogries for the different art forms (poetry, prose, photography, art) but also I think we should do different ages (at least aplit up child, teenager and adult) as that would also be really good I think, and we can adverstise competition in schools.

Sorry this is only a quick message, I got to get to class. Running late.

Will be back on later.

taluta

Posted Mon Nov 24th, 2008 11:20am Post subject: Goals
I like the idea of an old style book, as it would make it look different,

I have to admit I have never looked at the annuals you talk about, so will need to look at them before i comment further.

As for the competition, I know what you are saying, and I have had the same thoughts go through my head. Splitting up ther book would be quite a good idea I think. Also, not only different cataogries for the different art forms (poetry, prose, photography, art) but also I think we should do different ages (at least aplit up child, teenager and adult) as that would also be really good I think, and we can adverstise competition in schools.

Sorry this is only a quick message, I got to get to class. Running late.

Will be back on later.
I am just prepping my work area today so I can get stuck into doing some decent art etc. Will see if my old scanner if working, if not use moms camera and take some images of the old style annuals to you can see what I mean.

The Listeners
by Walter De La Mare

amyl_nitrate

Posted Mon Nov 24th, 2008 11:26am Post subject: Goals
I like the annual based idea. I adore annuals and collect them. I have loads and like the old style ones. I like the idea of including stuff like recipes and puzzles. Annuals always have facts, quizzes, puzzles, jokes, recipes, arts and crafts, paper dolls (obv. not applicable to animals!), masks, posters, short stories, text stories (in the old ones until sometime in the 70s) and of course best of all the comic strips (in the old ones a mixture of adventure and humour though I'm seeing a comeback with the adventure ones). You can still find new annuals with this kind of mixture such as in Bunty which is still being made and reissues of old ones like Jackie. You'll find loads of these in the larger branches of Waterstones.

Assuming direct control...

amberzak

Posted Tue Nov 25th, 2008 12:31am Post subject: Goals
Oh, I know what you mean.

I like it. Nice idea. Just been looking at an annual.