Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

woceht

Posted Mon Sep 10th, 2012 11:07pm Post subject: Going on meds

I'm going through my worst and most debilitating major depressive episode at the moment, and it led me to finally seek a diagnosis after all these years. Right now I'm debating whether to accept the medication my psychiatrist and therapist are trying to push on me.

I'm conflicted about medication because there isn't strong support that it works one way or another. There is publication bias and the pharmaceutical industry is a very powerful lobbying force. Individual reports about efficacy conflict, and to me trying to find the right combination that works for me seems like trying to find a needle in a haystack. My luck has never been something to count on, in my experience. I'm not sure I want to go down the rabbithole of tinkering with my brain chemistry, especially given the side effects and the dependency that ensues. My therapist insists I can just stop the meds if it doesn't work, and that conflicts with everything I've read about coming off depression meds. And yet part of me wants the meds because it offers the best chance of jolting me out of completely unable to leave bed mode in the near future to the point where I can actively take steps to get better. I guess I'm also terrified because this is the first time the depression has gotten this bad and lasted so long and is interfering with my work and life.

Anyway my next appointment is later this week and I intend to ask more specific questions about the medication plan, instead of resisting it outright, as my instincts and what I perceived as overwhelming pressure have caused me to in the last session. I think knowing the kind of drug they want to prescribe and being able to research it for myself would help me make a better decision.

I've found lots of posts about decisions to come off meds but none about going on them and I wondered if anyone would care to share their experiences. What made you decide whether to accept medication at first?

Frazzy

Posted Fri Sep 14th, 2012 5:24am Post subject: Going on meds

They do get pushy, don't they, actual drug dealers are easier to turn down. I don't take medication, but whether I have good reasons or am just insane is debatable.. But I think when you're feeling your worst, and are scared, is probably a bad time to make a big decision, and it is a big decision, one look at the lists of side effects and withdrawal symptoms (which are oddly similar to the lest of things they are used to treat, with the addition of scarier things like bleeding out your eyes while your liver implodes, causing a black hole into which the entire universe disappears, or something like that.) should tell anyone that..
Anyone who claims you can 'just stop' taking a drug is irresponsible..

elTweeno

Posted Fri Nov 9th, 2012 9:59pm Post subject: Going on meds

I finally found a medication that works for me earlier this year, I tried it after a little coaxing from my GP & psychiatric consultant, after a very troublesome phase of Ultradian mood swings (really, really rapid ones).

I was dubious at first - the last medication I'd tried had almost hopsitalised me with a severe allergic reaction - but, after a few weeks, I suddenly realised that I was finally content. I was finally able to deal with things consistently and rationally, for the first time in my life. I've not regretted the medication decision since then; I actually remember thinking 'maybe this is what normal people feel like'.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Bipolar Disorder for it's quirks and the creativity and drive it gives me. But I also know that if I want a career, and a family, I need to make sure I can cope with life first, and for me the medication has definitely made a stable lifestyle a real possibility, for the first time in many years.

Plus, the day after I started the medication, I got engaged.

I hope this helps. It's a very subjective view of my own experiences, but I think that's what you were looking for, from your post. If you'd like anything further, in terms of details, please feel free to ask. I know it's an agonising decision to make, especially when others are pressuring you.

eT

I'm also on Twitter: elTweeno (of course!)

Millicent Paradox

Posted Mon Nov 19th, 2012 8:55am Post subject: Going on meds

I can only say that I know that the decision to take medication is a difficult and very personal one. Unfortunately we simply cannot trust all health professionals, as they are often in relationships with drug companies, and will push medications they are not always fully cognisant of. Doing a great deal of your own research before making the decision is a good thing, and will help you to understand the role of your brain and biology in all of this.

Don't forget that, should you decide to take medication, you are in control, woceht. You can stop anytime you like, WITH the support and assistance of your health professional. It is NEVER a good idea to stop taking any medication immediately unless your doctor is aware of your situation and agrees that medication needs to be reduced then stopped.

Having a mental illness and surviving takes a great deal of courage, and you have demonstrated you have buckets of this. I wish you the best of luck, and perhaps you will come back to let us know how you go?
Millicent

michael

Posted Thu Nov 29th, 2012 2:42am Post subject: Going on meds

Hey there,

what ended up happening? how are you doing?

fwiw i think what i have was incurable by anything BUT meds. i went through a hell of a lot of suffering going through other therapies that just prolonged the situation.

to answer your initital question tho... going on meds is not a magical instant cure all. and you won't even know if they work right for months. i think it was about six months before mine did everything they were meant to do. but that was after about two whole years of really trying times, so it was worth it.

"HELLO I'M TACTILE !" is an anagram of my name