Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

PamJH

Posted Sun May 17th, 2009 2:53am Post subject: Good, bad or foolish parenting?
My teenagers and I were walking down a rural road near the house when we saw the shards of a beer bottle all over said road. The kids asked what happened and I said that someone probably tossed it out the car window and missed the ditch. I went further and explained that if they were to try the same thing, they must throw the bottle with enough force to actually get it in the ditch. The kids nodded at this sage advice and we continued home.

Then I get home and wonder why I told them that. I'm not an idiot, at least I don't think I am. Perhaps this was just a momentary glitch.

Any parental advice stories to share? Or would you like to tell that I am, indeed, an idiot?

Telepresent

Posted Sun May 17th, 2009 4:18am Post subject: Good, bad or foolish parenting?
Well, you are teaching them the responsibility of a good aim, and keeping bad things hidden.

So if you're aiming to be very middle class (as I also am), well done.

If you want to tell the truth, tell them that such destructive behaviour (ie, missing the ditch, willfully or no) will go ignored by all but middle-class passers-by, who use is for their lessons.

Either way, it won't make a difference. Your kids will throw their bottles where they please.

Sorry.

Laur1991

Posted Sun May 17th, 2009 4:58am Post subject: Good, bad or foolish parenting?
Although I'm not a parent myself, I do remember times where my own parents have told me just plain weird advice. For instance, when I was madly cramming for a provincial exam last year, my mom suggested that before I start the exam, I write the answers on my desk so I could look at them during the test., (aka, cheat!) I was like, whaatttt?! I don't think she even realized what she said! hehe I still bug her about that. X-D

Don't worry. If your kids are young, they'll forget all about that bottle thing, and if they're older they should know better anyway.

PamJH

Posted Sun May 17th, 2009 5:22am Post subject: Good, bad or foolish parenting?
And you know what the weird thing is? I have never thrown trash of any kind from any car at any point in my life. So why did I offer this advice? I still don't know.

Katrina

Posted Sun May 17th, 2009 6:10am Post subject: Good, bad or foolish parenting?
Don't worry about it! Your kids are sort of older, right? So it's okay, if you were going to mess them up, it would've happened already! X-D

I've figured out that as long as you're a hard ass when your kids are little, you can totally be friends when they hit like, seventh or eighth grade, and they'll want to behave well. My mom's had some great moments, not so much advice, just sort of dumb blonde moments even though she's not blonde. For example: In the Field Museum, in an exhibit about Egypt for children, "Egypt is in Africa?" or, upon entering a library, "Wow, there's a lot of books here!" or, while contemplating various holy books, "Like, you know, the Toran (apparently a combination of the Torah and the Koran)" It's like having my own personal Jessica Simpson, but less annoying and much less likely to break into song.

So basically, yeah, you can say anything to your kids past a certain age and they'll turn out fine.

Open to suggestions as to what my sig should consist of...

Nitro

Posted Sun May 17th, 2009 8:38am Post subject: Good, bad or foolish parenting?
Pam, my mom and I were in an airport once and I guess she noticed me staring at a group of men. I was looking at their shoes, and the majority had on white loafers. She whispered this caution to me:

"Those men wear those white shoes to identify themselves as being homosexuals."

X-D X-D X-D Even as a kid I was thinking,"Mom...What the f*ck?" X-D I have no idea where it came from in her head or why she felt she needed to warn me about it, but she did it. She also used to tell me if I played with frogs I would get warts.

You can always go back to your kids and say,"Hey, that bit about throwing your trash out the window and into the ditch. I was only kidding. Keep your trash till you get home and put it in the garbage or flying monkeys will come kidnap you at night when you're sleeping."

Really? Wow.

ginj

Member *

Posted Sun May 17th, 2009 1:42pm Post subject: Good, bad or foolish parenting?
I am sorry Pam, I have nothing helpful to add; children scare me as much as breasts scare Stephen. However, after reading the above two responses I have to say, we do have some very funny people on this forum. X-D

PamJH

Posted Sun May 17th, 2009 3:53pm Post subject: Good, bad or foolish parenting?
I'm starting to feel better already. Yesterday, my husband and I took the kids to a bar for lunch and then to the liquor story so I could buy some brandy. The kids' reaction to the liquor store: "This place has everything!"

Boiler12: I was a real hard-ass when these guys were little; they're 15 and 14 now. They minded or else. Now they're easy to get along with (most of the time) and a lot of fun. They're respectful, too, and I get a lot of nice comments about how different they are from a lot of kids. Different in a good way, I'm hoping.

Nitro: I agree. WTF? I like the shoe and frog stories. Very funny.

Ginj: You're too much.

Laur1991: Write on the desk? That is a good one.

Telepresent: A good aim. Perhaps we should practice this one.

TobiasMonk

Posted Sun May 17th, 2009 7:27pm Post subject: Good, bad or foolish parenting?
Our twins are only 19 months old so I don't have a lot to contribute, but I imagine that's going to change rather quickly. My father-in-law has always been a heavy cigar smoker, and we don't like the boys to be around him when he's smoking, so my wife and I explained the reason for this was that smoking is bad for them. Fast forward a couple of weeks when we were in a church for a christening, and the boys spotted a couple of cigars sticking out of the pocket of an older gentleman sitting behind us. Within minutes the word "bad" became a battle cry and we had to make a hasty retreat form the church.

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

Maxx England

Posted Sun May 17th, 2009 7:58pm Post subject: Good, bad or foolish parenting?
Who needs espionage agencies and hidden recorders when there's kids?

Pam, this bottle story: I was 9, running along a path in a park, tripped like kids do, and put my right hand straight on a piece of broken beer bottle, half slicing my thumb off at the base. Stitches then, and nearly 50 years on, scar tissue that still hurts when I try and do more than the the thumb will stand, the thumb itself actually being slightly underdeveloped.

This isn't intended to make you feel bad, but if you want to show it to your kids, feel free.

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?

elTweeno

Posted Sun May 17th, 2009 8:36pm Post subject: Good, bad or foolish parenting?
I wouldn't worry too much about giving them "bad" advice, Pam. My dad always comes out with the weirdest advice, especially if my mum's not there to tell him off!

I can't remember anything specific, but he's also taught me some great pranks over the years, so his "advice" is really very valuable! X-D

I'm also on Twitter: elTweeno (of course!)

exoskeleton

Posted Sun May 17th, 2009 9:31pm Post subject: Good, bad or foolish parenting?
well my mother's headed out and before she returns I'll have left on my little babysitting excursion. her parting advice was "don't hurt the children." X-D

sockdolager.

elTweeno

Posted Sun May 17th, 2009 9:36pm Post subject: Good, bad or foolish parenting?
well my mother's headed out and before she returns I'll have left on my little babysitting excursion. her parting advice was "don't hurt the children." X-D

Excellent advice

I'm also on Twitter: elTweeno (of course!)

Katrina

Posted Sun May 17th, 2009 10:02pm Post subject: Good, bad or foolish parenting?
I'm starting to feel better already. Yesterday, my husband and I took the kids to a bar for lunch and then to the liquor story so I could buy some brandy. The kids' reaction to the liquor store: "This place has everything!"

Boiler12: I was a real hard-ass when these guys were little; they're 15 and 14 now. They minded or else. Now they're easy to get along with (most of the time) and a lot of fun. They're respectful, too, and I get a lot of nice comments about how different they are from a lot of kids. Different in a good way, I'm hoping.
See, you've totally got it under control. The household chore I complete most often is getting my mom another glass of wine, so I guess she's taking a break after doing the whole kid thing for so long.

Our family fun of the day consisted of my sister getting out the video camera and taping my dad trying to put our most obese cat in a bike basket for a ride. It didn't work out. This exemplifies our parents setting good examples for us. And it just shows that we might need to move somewhere more exciting.

Open to suggestions as to what my sig should consist of...

TobiasMonk

Posted Mon May 18th, 2009 10:12pm Post subject: Good, bad or foolish parenting?
Who needs espionage agencies and hidden recorders when there's kids?

What can I say, some Monks just don't belong in church X-D

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman