Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

ShaylaMorris

Posted Tue May 13th, 2008 6:11am Post subject: Good News and Bad News
Well as the title says I have good news and bad news so lets start with the good. As most of you have noticed I and many other students have not been around. It’s not, for me at lease, that I have become board with you all quite the contrary. I have missed you all so much but as most of you know I’ve been studying my hiney off to get an invitation to come and study in London during my fall quarter of 2008. Well not only did I get the invitation but my gpa (Grade Point Average) put me in the top 6% of Whatcom College which got me in to Phi Theta Kappa a Honor Society for academic achievement. I’m also a student government official and by the looks of things I will be next term too. So I should be happy with my 3.825, getting my passport, and packing a bag right?

This bring me to the bad news I won’t be coming to London. In order to go I needed to be awarded two scholarships to afford the program and when I turned in the paperwork everything looked good. However today I got a Dear Jane, or should it be Dear Shayla, that I won’t get the scholarship due to my declared major of Music and minor of human development. I had check with my bank to see if I could get a loan but because it’s for education out of the country it wouldn’t be cleared. Yes I feel a little down but I look at it this way I’m still waiting for word from the other scholarship committee and who knows my grant could go up. I just ask that people please cross fingers for me and if you pray please put me in after the people in Burma, China, and others that is in more need than I. I hope to be back on and in full swing soon. Love and miss you all.

Shayla

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Tue May 13th, 2008 6:33pm Post subject: Good News and Bad News
i'm sorry to hear that Shayla!

what is it about the music major that makes you less scholarship worthy? did they explain?

there may be some interesting private grants made for the arts or music majors, etc...perhaps if you told them your situation some place would step in and help. i don't know of any off hand, but when i research things for 2D art i find some interesting things. there are also probably some set aside just for women or minority groups.

you work really hard, and i think you're just the type of person these folks would WANT to award money to. just have to find one geared to music...hmm.

i'll keep you in my thoughts!

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Tue May 13th, 2008 7:40pm Post subject: Good News and Bad News
I've been missing you too!

ysabella

Posted Wed May 14th, 2008 12:38am Post subject: Good News and Bad News
Nice to see you here, and well done!

I hope some way is found to get you to London.

JSKanga84

Posted Wed May 14th, 2008 3:15pm Post subject: Good News and Bad News
It's a real shame that they won't recognize your hard work, no matter what your major is. That doesn't really send a very positive message to other students, either. :'(

Here's hoping your other scholarship is larger than you expect it to be!!

Soupy Twist

Posted Wed May 14th, 2008 5:46pm Post subject: Good News and Bad News
I've been missing you, too, Shayla. And I don't understand why all your hard work isn't rewarded just because of a 'wrong' major. I'll keep my fingers crossed that there will be a way for you to come to London.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Thu May 29th, 2008 11:19am Post subject: Good News and Bad News
Oh that sucks Shayla. Why why why do these people always award some subjects and not others? I hate how they place a value on some areas and not others.

Assuming direct control...