Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

ShaylaMorris

Posted Thu Sep 17th, 2009 7:11am Post subject: Got Kicked Out Over Stephen's Book

I need a safe place to let off steam and have a small cry as I have been kicked out of a club on my college campus for (hold your hats folks) reading The Liar I wish I was joking but I'm not. Let me explain what happened.

I was in a improve club and before we started I would read a book since I get there three hours early. One member saw me reading and made a homophobic remark to which I replied that I was amazed that he could read at all but then again he had read Sex for Dummies so it was good that he was putting in to practice what he read. He went to the president saying his religious beliefs were offended and she told me to stop bring the book to the club. Two other members stood up for me as I told her my side of what happen and stated that I would bring the book as long as I reading it.

Last week I and the other two that took my side where given the heave ho. The official line was that I was being an annoyance and I'm not allowed back Yes I could go to the student government and I plan to however I now feel very alone on Saturday nights. Thanks for letting me rant.

wildfire

Posted Thu Sep 17th, 2009 8:23am Post subject: Got Kicked Out Over Stephen's Book

>He went to the president

hold on a minute, which president? ( ... I'm guessing it's not Obama...)

president of the book club, or president of the college? If the president is just another student, fuck them, frankly, go back to the club.

You're likely paying money to attend this college, the government likely supports the college via grants and tax breaks. You've got as much right to go to the club as anyone else who's at your college, and to make the most of the opportunities there. No-one is allowed to stop you doing that because of their religious sensibilities or other such nonsense.

If someone genuinely made a homophobic remark to you out of the blue, they're the one who needs to be getting thrown out of things. Get him to apologise, otherwise get his bigoted ass hauled in front of a disciplinary panel at your college. You'd actually be doing him a favour this way.

If this guy doesn't learn now that his homophobic opinions are just plain wrong and unacceptable, he'll find out to his surprise, by doing the same thing in a few years time to someone who does stand up for themselves, and by that stage he'll find himself getting thrown out of more than a reading club, (e.g. his job, etc.)

davemalley

Posted Thu Sep 17th, 2009 8:27am Post subject: Got Kicked Out Over Stephen's Book

you got to love education havent you.
where is this enlightened seat of learning? (or when)
his religious beliefs were offended??
how is that? by the fact that the book was written? or that the author exists? or by the fact that the book was being read? or that the book was near him and some of the gayness might come off the pages onto him ?
for gods (sorry couldnt help it) sake! dont tell him that in all likelyhood a gay was involved in the building of the roads and the campus even down to the chairs etc etc.
maybe its safer for him and his god to stop in bed for the rest of his life.
oh no! what if a gay manufactured his bed!!!
yikes!!!!

people who use P.S are just showing they havent put enough thought into their writing before they started.

P.S cant get out of the habit myself

michael

Posted Thu Sep 17th, 2009 2:55pm Post subject: Got Kicked Out Over Stephen's Book

ShaylaMorris said:
I need a safe place to let off steam and have a small cry as I have been kicked out of a club on my college campus for (hold your hats folks) reading The Liar I wish I was joking but I'm not. Let me explain what happened.

I was in a improve club and before we started I would read a book since I get there three hours early. One member saw me reading and made a homophobic remark to which I replied that I was amazed that he could read at all but then again he had read Sex for Dummies so it was good that he was putting in to practice what he read. He went to the president saying his religious beliefs were offended and she told me to stop bring the book to the club. Two other members stood up for me as I told her my side of what happen and stated that I would bring the book as long as I reading it.

Last week I and the other two that took my side where given the heave ho. The official line was that I was being an annoyance and I'm not allowed back Yes I could go to the student government and I plan to however I now feel very alone on Saturday nights. Thanks for letting me rant.

SHAYLA!!! runs*runs*runs*runsHUG

do you remember meeting me at the crumpet shop?

i'm so sorry, what jerks. that really surprises me! what school are you going to? (or what sort i mean...i'm curious why the "religious beliefs" part, that's strange)

"HELLO I'M TACTILE !" is an anagram of my name

TobiasMonk

Posted Thu Sep 17th, 2009 8:50pm Post subject: Got Kicked Out Over Stephen's Book

They have violated your rights Shayla, I hope you take it higher.

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

quantumofire

Posted Thu Sep 17th, 2009 9:07pm Post subject: Got Kicked Out Over Stephen's Book

Religion is all thinks to all people people. Just a parroted reason for them to express their inner prejudices and fears. Ask them what they're afraid of? Is it themselves?

http://quantumofire.blogspot.com/

Breaking contradictions in his mind was, to him, like walking through a winter forest snapping twigs underfoot.

michael

Posted Thu Sep 17th, 2009 9:45pm Post subject: Got Kicked Out Over Stephen's Book

TobiasMonk said:
They have violated your rights Shayla, I hope you take it higher.

YES. DITTO.

"HELLO I'M TACTILE !" is an anagram of my name

Britannicus

Posted Fri Sep 18th, 2009 2:12am Post subject: Got Kicked Out Over Stephen's Book

Uh, yes, that is appallingly ridiculous, Shayla. The part that gets me is that she also threw out the teammates that DEFENDED you. How shameful and cowardly. Definitely GO to student government -- and if they don't help, then write a letter to your school's newspaper or go to the Dean of Students or something. They're not likely to be pleased, not when that kind of behavior can be associated back to the school.

"Your room...it's CLEAN!!!"
"I prayed to God...and...it happened...but...where's my million dollars and horse!? Damn it!"

IdeaCollector

Posted Fri Sep 18th, 2009 5:03am Post subject: Got Kicked Out Over Stephen's Book

You need to go above their heads.

I have strong religious views and loved the Liar btw. It stunned me to the point where I couldn't sleep and it's one of my all time fav books now.

I used to be EternalStudent on these forums until the switch over. So don't get excited..I'm not someone new and exciting. I'm just me :P

tallyg

Posted Fri Sep 18th, 2009 8:46am Post subject: Got Kicked Out Over Stephen's Book

Well if just the book offends his religious beliefs you should tell him to avoid the University of Dundee, there's a whole bar named after it.

Actually, I think a dose of reality is needed for that student, so send him up

Soupy Twist

Posted Fri Sep 18th, 2009 3:48pm Post subject: Got Kicked Out Over Stephen's Book

I'm sorry for what has happened to you. Outrageous. As Toby said, your rights have been violated, and you shouldn't let the matter rest.

PamJH

Posted Thu Oct 1st, 2009 10:07pm Post subject: Got Kicked Out Over Stephen's Book

I have to agree with not letting the issue stand. Your rights have been violated and a few people need enlightening. I'm getting very angry on your behalf. Let us know what happens, OK?

Maxx England

Posted Mon Oct 5th, 2009 10:53pm Post subject: Got Kicked Out Over Stephen's Book

Go for it, backing down to extremists is how decent people end up getting trampled. Trample back.

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?