Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

acidcat

Posted Fri Sep 12th, 2008 11:09pm Post subject: Greetings
Marmite on toast is alright as long as you spread it extremely thin. (Makes very good cheese on toast with Cheddar on top).

However, it's an amazing ingredient to cook with! Try adding it to stews instead of added salt, or as a sort of rub-on marinade for beef-steaks (which makes it caramelise easier) or mixed with mustard and black pepper as a crust for roast beef!

There are very few things I add salt to nowadays - I just use Marmite (or soy sauce or bouillon powder)!

Mmm. Marmite. The best thing to come out of the beer-brewing process.

Desdemona

Posted Sat Sep 13th, 2008 2:24am Post subject: Greetings
Ahh marmite, its fit for the gods.
Spread very thickly on toast, or if i get a craving (yes i get marmite cravings) go at the jar with a spoon. It's best way

Skip Life and come with me?

joan

Posted Mon Sep 15th, 2008 12:08pm Post subject: Greetings
Oh yukkkk. Marmite is like Vegemite - a sort of edible masochism, satanic excrement, and just not at all nice. However, I did read in my gardening book, that if you place some in water in the bottom of a plastic bottle, add urine, and then cut a hole in the bottle and suspend it in a fruit tree, it kills the Queensland fruit fly........

That's interesting. Are you going to try it. Do you want to though? Why would you want to kill a fly anyway is it a pest?

mmm vegemite is scrummy too.

The Queensland fruit fly is a dreadful pest - last year it saw off the fruit of my entire mandarin tree, not to mention the peach tree.
I'm looking for a slightly less tacky recipe to lure the little pests to a watery death.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Tue Sep 23rd, 2008 4:20pm Post subject: Greetings
Oooh thanks for the cooking tip acidcat. I didn't know you could use marmite in those ways like instead of salt or on steak. mm intewesting. ^-^

Oh yukkkk. Marmite is like Vegemite - a sort of edible masochism, satanic excrement, and just not at all nice. However, I did read in my gardening book, that if you place some in water in the bottom of a plastic bottle, add urine, and then cut a hole in the bottle and suspend it in a fruit tree, it kills the Queensland fruit fly........

That's interesting. Are you going to try it. Do you want to though? Why would you want to kill a fly anyway is it a pest?

mmm vegemite is scrummy too.

The Queensland fruit fly is a dreadful pest - last year it saw off the fruit of my entire mandarin tree, not to mention the peach tree.
I'm looking for a slightly less tacky recipe to lure the little pests to a watery death.

Ah well. I always think it's a shame when you get that, species that are 'pests' and make things difficult for us making us want to get rid of them or kill them like how that fly is affecting your fruit so you have to do something about it.

Assuming direct control...