Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

cecily

Posted Wed Feb 4th, 2009 7:51pm Post subject: ha you alrite then
:-// Should I be embrassed, perhaps not, for I am just asking you all if you are alright, and just to say hello to one and all as I have recently joined Mr Stephen Frys Forum. What are other peoples views on dialect? Are we as a nation more accepting of accents or do we secretly yearn to return to the days when speaking with a 'BBC' voice really was considered the thing to do............

"Luxury must be comfortable, otherwise it is not luxury"

michael

Posted Wed Feb 4th, 2009 11:10pm Post subject: ha you alrite then
i don't live in y'all's nation but i ain't got no problems with my accent.

and i'm doin good yeah, can't complain...thanks

"HELLO I'M TACTILE !" is an anagram of my name

TobiasMonk

Posted Thu Feb 5th, 2009 1:58am Post subject: ha you alrite then
Howdy

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

Katrina

Posted Thu Feb 5th, 2009 6:00am Post subject: ha you alrite then
Can't comment on y'all's accent, either, but I'll second the howdy (pronounced "haddy" by me... 'cause I'm a redneck :-// )!

Open to suggestions as to what my sig should consist of...

Maxx England

Posted Thu Feb 5th, 2009 1:47pm Post subject: ha you alrite then
Accent matters here. If you're from Birmingham or it's surrounding areas, it is an automatic given that you are thick as a brick with the sensitivity of hob nailed boot poised over a newly hatched chicken.

And you know, we're really not all like that.

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?

Help

Posted Thu Feb 5th, 2009 2:16pm Post subject: ha you alrite then
Hello

Well considering I have a very broad Geordie accent I'd imagin most people when they first hear me speak think I'm pretty stupid, which would be a little harsh, if not slightly true
I like having my accent and I like that we have lots of different accents, things would be very boring if we all sounded the same.

ClareBear

Posted Thu Feb 5th, 2009 3:19pm Post subject: ha you alrite then
People keep asking if I'm South African. Must be the residual Dutch being mistaken for Afrikaans.

Jarus

Posted Thu Feb 5th, 2009 9:46pm Post subject: ha you alrite then
I had a nice Suffolk accent when I was very young, but over the years it seems to have faded away until much of the time I do sound like the BBC broadcasters of old.

Overall I've always found accents to be quite charming, although I still can't identify the various commonwealth dialects, much to the annoyance/amusement of whoever I'm speaking to.

PamJH

Posted Fri Feb 6th, 2009 4:21am Post subject: ha you alrite then
The one and only time I stayed in London I enjoyed hearing all the different accents. The friend I stayed with could tell me where most of them originated.

I guess I just sound like a Yankee. I sort of talk through my nose, at least that's what everyone around here says.

Maxx England

Posted Fri Feb 6th, 2009 4:29pm Post subject: ha you alrite then
People keep asking if I'm South African. Must be the residual Dutch being mistaken for Afrikaans.

I've heard a northern French woman once, I thought she sounded Dutch. Could be that old Frankish thing going on? I don't know.

I have been told, and only a Geordie can answer this, that the dialect of the hills around Jarrow is mutually intelligible with Dutch Friesian. I'd like to know because, sometimes, the Deep Geordie can be difficult for the rest of us. It would explain a lot. And then we can herd them back into the long ships.

Help

Posted Fri Feb 6th, 2009 4:36pm Post subject: ha you alrite then
HOW VERY DARE YOU!

Well I would love to answer that question but considering I don't actually know what Dutch Friesian sounds like I don't think I can.
I do know that when I say Jarrow, it sounds like JARRA
I do understand peoples inability to understand somethings that Geordies say though because we just make up random words for things, for example, insted of saying something is "very big" I would say "geeeet mass" I DON'T KNOW WHY!!
Possibly because I'm silly? Possibly
I still shouldn't be herded into a long ship

Maxx England

Posted Fri Feb 6th, 2009 4:38pm Post subject: ha you alrite then
Well, all right, just for you, we'll find a very short ship

Help

Posted Fri Feb 6th, 2009 4:43pm Post subject: ha you alrite then
Well, all right, just for you, we'll find a very short ship

SWINE.

cecily

Posted Sat Feb 7th, 2009 10:02am Post subject: ha you alrite then
(Laura) (Help)(James May) whomever,
Please do not take this as criticism, perhaps more constructive, would you be offended if I said that your profile picture is somewhat distracting when attempting to read your post. If by chance you are offended then I apologize, if not, perhaps you could enlighten me as to how to stop the face flashing. Not being one who is very literate in the ways of technology then I would appreciate a few tips. If tharts alrite then gal.
With kindest intentions
Cecily

"Luxury must be comfortable, otherwise it is not luxury"

Occy

Posted Sat Feb 7th, 2009 11:13am Post subject: ha you alrite then
I love British accents far and wide - especially lord help me - Geordie accents