Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

gjhsu

Posted Mon Jul 20th, 2009 6:25pm Post subject: Happy 40th, moon landing!
Is there anything more neat than looking up into the night sky and actually going to somewhere you see up there? 40 years ago today, some intelligent apes actually did it.

Hats off to the scienticians who made it happen!

PamJH

Posted Mon Jul 20th, 2009 6:56pm Post subject: Happy 40th, moon landing!
My spouse, the conspiracy theorist, still likes to think the whole thing was filmed in Arizona. Goofball.

Nitro

Posted Mon Jul 20th, 2009 10:16pm Post subject: Happy 40th, moon landing!
My spouse, the conspiracy theorist, still likes to think the whole thing was filmed in Arizona. Goofball.

X-D Indeed.

Do you think mentioning to him that they've recently taken pictures of some of the junk the first astronauts left behind, might help him 'believe'?

Really? Wow.

gjhsu

Posted Mon Jul 20th, 2009 10:31pm Post subject: Happy 40th, moon landing!
The true sceptic would insist that they just retook the photos in Arizona, and used some photoshop wizardry to make it look authentic

PamJH

Posted Tue Jul 21st, 2009 4:51pm Post subject: Happy 40th, moon landing!
The true sceptic would insist that they just retook the photos in Arizona, and used some photoshop wizardry to make it look authentic

You must have been wearing your invisibility cloak when you heard my spouse say precisely that!

gjhsu

Posted Tue Jul 21st, 2009 5:16pm Post subject: Happy 40th, moon landing!
I've never seen the point or advantage of poo-poo'ing on the notion that we've gone to the moon. Even if it never happened, look at what good it has done for science and technology, and people's imagination in general?

Can you ask your spouse why he thinks it important that we never went to the moon? I'm curious as to what the reasons/motives are.

PamJH

Posted Tue Jul 21st, 2009 5:56pm Post subject: Happy 40th, moon landing!
I've never seen the point or advantage of poo-poo'ing on the notion that we've gone to the moon. Even if it never happened, look at what good it has done for science and technology, and people's imagination in general?

Can you ask your spouse why he thinks it important that we never went to the moon? I'm curious as to what the reasons/motives are.

Actually, I think he's 95 percent kidding. His parents made him watch it on TV when it happened and he distinctly remembers that he'd rather have been outside playing. The other thing is that he's a natural skeptic. His first reaction to a lot of things is, "can't be." That makes for some excellent conversation around the house.

ginj

Member *

Posted Tue Jul 21st, 2009 6:05pm Post subject: Happy 40th, moon landing!
Would I be out of line if I replied to this? It's not that it is important that we didn't go to the moon, it is important that we don't get fooled by the government. At that time, the government was looking to draw attention away from the Vietnam War and to restore a sense of pride in this country and it's people. This facade of going to the moon provided that. It had to be something big, and something that people couldn't just fly to and look at and disprove. Outer space was the perfect setting. Not only did it distract people from the Vietnam War for a while, and restore a sense of national pride, but it had the added advantage of pouring millions of dollars in private money into a non-existent space program, that the government could then use as it pleased. A slight of hand trick played on people by their own government. Beware.

BTW, I actually do believe that the moon landing and walk did happen. It was a magical time, and I remember being glued to the television set along with the rest of the world. The only person in my family that didn't believe it was real was my grandfather, and I think he was more like Pam's husband in that he just said that to get people thinking.

PamJH

Posted Tue Jul 21st, 2009 7:56pm Post subject: Happy 40th, moon landing!
Ginj, I dare say you can reply to anything you like. I always welcome your views.

But you have a point about the government. People were easier to lead way back then and that made people easier to manipulate. It wasn't all that long ago that people began to question their leaders and disagree with them. My parents tell me you didn't dare do such a thing years ago, and historical evidence corroborates their thinking.

I certainly believe we went to the moon and such. I have no reason to think we didn't. But I am glad there are skeptics out there willing to question everything. Keeps government leaders on their toes.