Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

MisterFenton

Posted Fri Jan 9th, 2009 10:52am Post subject: Harper Collins hiding something?
Mr Fry broke his arm while making the America series.

Now, if I had broken my arm, I would surely remember which arm it was as I imagine it to be very painful.
But on page 140 Mr Fry writes that he broke his LEFT arm while in Brazil, despite all the pictures and the TV footage showing his RIGHT arm in a sling.

Please tell me that this book wasn’t (gasps in horror) ghost written by someone else?
I can’t believe it was, but then I can’t believe one would forget which arm one had broken...

UPDATE: I have now had a reply from Harper Collins saying...
This has been a mistake on our part and will be rectified at the next reprint.

Their mistake? Why are they making mistakes in the text. They surely would not change "Right" to "Left"... So please, who did write the text?

Please Mr Fry, help clear this one up!

Soph

Posted Fri Jan 9th, 2009 1:34pm Post subject: Harper Collins hiding something?

Please tell me that this book wasn’t (gasps in horror) ghost written by someone else?
I can’t believe it was, but then I can’t believe one would forget which arm one had broken...

If this ought to be the case, I'd feel somewhat fooled and betrayed. It would be alot more than deeply disapointing. Not to say I beleive this to be true, but I'm hoping for some reasanable explaination to come our way.

Photobucket

michael

Posted Fri Jan 9th, 2009 4:11pm Post subject: Harper Collins hiding something?
???????

doesn't bother me at all
but i will call you Typemaster General from now on.

X-D

SAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH- LOOT!

*clicks heels*

"HELLO I'M TACTILE !" is an anagram of my name

stephenfryagain

Posted Wed Jan 28th, 2009 4:13am Post subject: Harper Collins hiding something?
could it be a bit like if you take an exercise class and the person instructing lifts their left arm and it is in fact from your POV on your right?

piggywhale

Posted Wed Feb 4th, 2009 11:24pm Post subject: Harper Collins hiding something?
Ah... I did not catch that when I read the book. Always confused LEFT and RIGHT myself. X-D

Please rest assured though. I remember Mr. Fry mentioning about writing this book in one of his podcast. So, the writer is certainly he.

After a bit a digging, I found this in his 4th Podcast/ blessay "BBC & the Future of Broadcasting".

"The thing is, I’ve just returned from America, having finished an epic documentary series on every single state. Having arrived back in Britain, I have hit the ground running and have spent the past eight weeks writing a book on the series plus I’ve been filming a new series of QI here in London."

So, the RIGHT VS LEFT thing must be just a typo. It can always happen, right?

Hope it makes you feel better.

Soph

Posted Thu Feb 5th, 2009 12:00am Post subject: Harper Collins hiding something?
That's reasonable enough for me, anyway. : ]

Photobucket

PamJH

Posted Fri Feb 6th, 2009 10:48pm Post subject: Harper Collins hiding something?

So, the RIGHT VS LEFT thing must be just a typo. It can always happen, right?

Oh, yes. No matter how carefully I proofread my former newspaper, at least one mistake of some sort would get by me. And I was considered pretty good at my job. I find typos in books all the time. It gives me a nice sense of shameful joy (what's the German word for that I heard on The Simpsons?).

Had to edit to fix a typo. Yikes.