Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Soupy Twist

Posted Sun Jul 22nd, 2007 9:27am Post subject: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Discussion (Spoilers!)
All right then, I was able to dedicate the whole of yesterday to reading and didn't regret it: Once again I was sucked right into the story and released only when I turned the last page.

After I was not too fond of the Order of the Phoenix and the Half Blood Prince because of their many unnecessary lengths I think Rowling managed to write a suspense-packed last volume with many thrilling twists and turns and also various very sad moments. I was gripped by the whole atmosphere of dread that evaporates from You-know-who and his death eaters who have taken to hunting down muggle-borns.

With Dumbledore always being my favourite character I was happy about his presence and to see him become more three-dimensional by exploring his past and his encounter with Harry in the "King's Cross" Chapter. The same goes for Snape whom I always found a very interesting character.
I always liked the mysterious, "ancient" magic stuff: the horcruxes and how wands work for example, therefore I really liked the story about and behind the Elder Wand, the other Deathly Hallows and Grindelwald. I also liked the many referrals to the earlier Hogwarts Years and especially that Rowling didn't drop but finally resolved the crucial scene from the end of vol. IV where Dumbledore had shown a glint of triumph when he had learned that Voldemort had taken Harry's blood. All the various plotlines are now joined together and make sense.

I was a bit bugged by the striking similarities to The Lord of the Rings to name but one: the locket weighing its wearers down and affecting them, the big battle of Hogwarts, Harry the Hero on his own etc. But it has been said before, that, while Rowling has some good ideas on her own, she also uses many different sources and combines them in her story.

I really could have done without the soppy epilogue, though, which is too much 'All's weel that ends well' for my taste, but then this might be a concession to Rowling's young readers.

So, how do you like it? Are you disappointed? Does it meet your expectations? Lokking forward to your comments!

Britannicus

Posted Sun Jul 22nd, 2007 4:34pm Post subject: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Discussion (Spoilers!)
I loooved it. It was fantastic! It even convinced me not to hate Half-Blood Prince, whoooaa.

I have to agree about the epilogue though. I liked it, I should say, but it was desperately lacking in details. Some things are best left to the imagination, but I felt that this was a bit too much. Was Teddy Lupin left with any werewolf traits? What were everyone's careers? What became of Luna? How did George cope without his twin? Did Neville ever get married? Did Lav-Lav really end up as a werewolf, seeing as Greyback bit her during the final battle? And it goes on.

Oh well. Despite all that, I really, really enjoyed this book. It may even top Order of the Phoenix as my favorite.

Oh, and the backstory on Dumbledore was AWESOME! And Snape's too. *cries*

"Your room...it's CLEAN!!!"
"I prayed to God...and...it happened...but...where's my million dollars and horse!? Damn it!"

Soupy Twist

Posted Sun Jul 22nd, 2007 5:17pm Post subject: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Discussion (Spoilers!)

I have to agree about the epilogue though. I liked it, I should say, but it was desperately lacking in details. Some things are best left to the imagination, but I felt that this was a bit too much. Was Teddy Lupin left with any werewolf traits? What were everyone's careers? What became of Luna? How did George cope without his twin? Did Neville ever get married? Did Lav-Lav really end up as a werewolf, seeing as Greyback bit her during the final battle? And it goes on.
Exactly, that would have been the real interesting questions. Besides, wizards, even more so when they are friends, seem to breed only periodically, or is it coincidence that Harry's/Ginny's, Ron's/Hermione's and Malfoy's children happen to be exactly the same age and enrol at Hogwarts the same year. No, she should have spared us that.

Oh well. Despite all that, I really, really enjoyed this book. It may even top Order of the Phoenix as my favorite.
It certainly does for me.

Oh, and the backstory on Dumbledore was AWESOME! And Snape's too. *cries*
Yes, poor Snape. Crying over Lilly's letter *sob* For me the Dumbledore story was the icing on an already excellent cake and it was great to see how in the end all added up. The chapter with SnapeĀ“s memories had me glued to my sofa.
By the way, were any of the spoilers you stumbled over during the past weeks accurate?

Britannicus

Posted Sun Jul 22nd, 2007 5:30pm Post subject: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Discussion (Spoilers!)
By the way, were any of the spoilers you stumbled over during the past weeks accurate?

Most of the early ones, no. (Though two were eerily close.) Near the end though, I actively sought out spoilers. I figured, hey, I know I'm going to get spoiled some way or another, I may as well make myself responsible for it. (Which may have been skewed thinking, but it mostly spared me from the shock when some guy at the release party starting reading off a list of all the character deaths! In front of a bunch of little kids, too, it was awful.) This last week was just packed full of legit spoilers, even before the whole book got leaked. It was insane, haha.

"I prayed to God...and...it happened...but...where's my million dollars and horse!? Damn it!"

Soupy Twist

Posted Sun Jul 22nd, 2007 5:52pm Post subject: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Discussion (Spoilers!)
but it mostly spared me from the shock when some guy at the release party starting reading off a list of all the character deaths! In front of a bunch of little kids, too, it was awful.)
I would have killed him, well not really, but... Seriously, do those people think at all?
I'm happy to say the whole book was unspoiled for me. The only thing I read somewhere were some of the chapter headings which didn't trouble me too much. "The life and lies of Albus Dumbledore" - I was hoping for something that would bring him back into the game but that background story came quite unexpected. Rowling twisted the plot in so many ways that I wasn't sure until the end whether we weren't betrayed in him after all...
I would have been angry if I had knewn beforehand which of the characters is going to die. Lupin has always been one of my favourites, so were the Weasley twins, but I was sure that this big family won't come out of it without casualties.

ClareBear

Posted Sun Jul 22nd, 2007 7:27pm Post subject: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Discussion (Spoilers!)
Moved to General Multimedia

absolutely curtains

Posted Mon Jul 23rd, 2007 7:26pm Post subject: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Discussion (Spoilers!)
Yay for staying up until half three this morning reading it.

I thought it was pretty good. There was a lot of pointless "Moan moan moan, we're in hiding" I think, the ending was cool. I cried somewhere...

But bloody hell! I saw in big letters "Nineteen Years Later" and I thought "Oh Christ..." But she did it. It would have been so much more wonderful if she'd just missed out that bloody end part! It's not like it resolves anything important anyway, that was already done. And Oh the cheese. Albus Severus?? No bloody subtlety.

I was pleased with myself for a) figuring out the R.A.B. thing on my own, and b) figuring out the Harry is a horcrux thing on my own. I give myself too much credit - it crossed my mind then I thought Nahh.

I really laughed at Mock The Week, when in Scenes We'd Like To See they were doing "unlikely lines in the final Harry Potter book", and Mark Watson went up and said "Harry said something, Hermione said something... Who cares? I'm minted!" X-D

Crazy_in_a_box

Posted Tue Jul 24th, 2007 12:35am Post subject: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Discussion (Spoilers!)
Hey people, only returning to the internet now.... I stayed away as soon as word broke out about the leaks and I have to say Im pretty darn chuffed that I have managed to read the entire book unspoiled despite the fact that in work, EVERY customer comes in and opens the book at the last few pages and reads the ending.... some people then proceed to discuss it out loud too - one fella started to read it out loud - any way, I spent most of the last 3 days running to the back of the shop humming so I couldnt hear what they were saying.

It was the Best book out of the 7 by far... I cant even begin to talk about it I have so much to say.....

AND I dressed up in work, we all did for the friday and saturday. we had Harry Potter day, the midnight opening was amazing - the buzz was just mad. We were on tv too hahaha.... I must find a picture of my costume, it took blooming ages to make but it was worth it!

I just cant believe it is all over! hahaha

jewel

Posted Thu Jul 26th, 2007 7:31pm Post subject: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Discussion (Spoilers!)
have just finished... been reading for two days straight (didn't have a possibility to drown in it without breaks - have to work somehow...)

I KNEW IT!!!!
I knew that Severus was not as evil as everybody thought!!!!
He has always been my favourite character....I'm sooooooooo happy that J.K. Rowling didn't dissapoint me there.... Terrific book, the best one (though there were flaws, especially the last chapter, though my heart felt warm when Harry told that Severus was the bravest man of all... )
The chapter with Severus memories... his death... made me cry I also felt very bad about Moody's so early death.

about spoilers - Lithuanian TV news last Saturday told some!!!! they told that at least one of the favourite teachers is going to die and that Harry will beat Voldemort me and my two brothers were angry as hell...if we had known they were going to spoil, we definitely wouldn't have watched the news that night... we thought they would only announce that the book is out, how the fans were eager to purchase it at midnight and so on... yep, they told that too.. But WHY spoil????

anyway...
the book although made that up for me. what am I talking about - I'm extremely happy now and all because of Severus in this book I was afraid all the time that J.K. Rowling didn't intend to make those tiny nuances, that she didn't make them on purpose, the nuances which made me see more in that character...but she did, she DID!!! Especially after the sixth book I was desperately reading it over and over, the place where Severus took the Unbreakable Oath (I don't recall its original name, sorry, read that in Lithuanian), where he killed Dumbledore... and earlier books looking for signs that everything isn't like it seems, that there was something more hidden in Dumbledore's murder... and I KNEW it!!! ) I'm so relieved and so happy now, although he died... but he is my HERO :-//

hehe, I know, I'm over-excited, but can't help it
though I also would love to know about Luna, Neville and others more. The last chapter seems to have missed some important material, maybe at least one previous chapter that's the main flaw of this book.

P.S. Noticed those similarities to LOTR at once
ehhh but who cares? I don't My favourite character is wonderful and now everybody sees that! yey!!! :D
(bit childish for a twenty-four year old... but really, who cares? I don't!!! )

"The game, Mrs. Hudson, is on!"

Britannicus

Posted Fri Jul 27th, 2007 7:15pm Post subject: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Discussion (Spoilers!)
Here are some details of what happens to some of the characters, J.K. Rowling revealed them in an interview. ^_^ Phew! Yay, any bad feelings I had toward the epilogue are starting to fade now, it's just nice to know what happens to them all...

jewel

Posted Fri Jul 27th, 2007 7:41pm Post subject: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Discussion (Spoilers!)
indeed, Britannicus, indeed it's nice afterall...

*finds the first book and starts to read the whole series again*

Odora

Posted Fri Jul 27th, 2007 8:53pm Post subject: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Discussion (Spoilers!)
*finds the first book and starts to read the whole series again*
+1
In Moscow at the selling night I've met hundreds of oddly-dressed people with book in their hands, reading eagerly even while crossing the street... Huh, at that moment I suddenly understood I'm not that pretty crazy as I used to think.))

jewel

Posted Fri Jul 27th, 2007 11:38pm Post subject: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Discussion (Spoilers!)
welcome aboard to this slightly mad boat, Odora that makes I think more than two of us here... good, good the more of such people, the better

Zefla

Posted Wed Aug 22nd, 2007 12:01am Post subject: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Discussion (Spoilers!)
I think its time that I posted this then....

http://fc01.deviantart.com/fs18/f/2007/215/b/1/Dea.....Sheana.gif

AxmxZ

Posted Wed Aug 22nd, 2007 5:21pm Post subject: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Discussion (Spoilers!)
BWAH HAH HAH!!!