Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

JohnK84

Posted Thu Dec 13th, 2007 9:16am Post subject: Harry Potter and the unabridged audiobooks
I wasn't sure if this was the right place to post this and I don't know if Stephen will actually rad this but I would like to congratulate him on a fantastic job reading the Harry Potter audiobooks.

Despite being 23 and maybe a little old for the series I thoroughly enjoy them and Stephens work on the audiobooks just adds to the magic.

I can't imagine what hard work it must have been to do them or how long it must have taken, the total play time for all seven books under iTunes is 5.1 days and although of course they weren't all recorded at the same time even so it's quite a lot of work, and i think they are done remarkably well, Stephens voices also bring a lot to the role and it must have been hard remembering all the different voices and doing the right ones at the right time, lots of different takes i imagine.

I would also like, while I am here, just to say how much i enjoy QI, a fantastic show and very informative as well as hilariously funny. Sean Locke is one of my favourites and Jimmy Car is always good. I'd like to see Simon Pegg join the team some time in he future, if he can drag himself away from his new found Hollywood lovey friends

alley

Posted Tue Dec 25th, 2007 10:22pm Post subject: Harry Potter and the unabridged audiobooks
hey John,
I win, i'm 28 and am just becoming a potter fan, thanks to Stephen.
I read the first 4 books and even though they were quite interesting i didn't read on, mainly because i don't have that much time to read (sadly)

I like audiobooks because i can listen to them whilst working. The german version is read by an actor i don't like so when i found out that Stephen read the brittish version i ordered them immediately.

I'm more or less through book one and it's great!
And tis even better because i, in a weird way, get paid for listening to it

I started working again this week after some time off, and with work i started to listen to potter, i caught myself a few times, turning around when the cd stopped to see why he wouldn't read on. usually i am well aware that it's a cd and i'm alone in my workshop but with these books it is different. Sometimes it feels like Stephen is sitting behind me, reading to me.

(just for the record there's always a spare armchair and reading lamp here ;) )

I love the way he does Dumbledore

regards,
alley

whatonearth

Posted Wed Dec 26th, 2007 9:46pm Post subject: Harry Potter and the unabridged audiobooks
I got the first two audiobooks as a leaving present from my friends when I moved house/school when I was 13. They're still on my bookshelf now, 8 years later. I haven't listened to them in a long time but I was pretty chuffed to get them let me tell you!

alley

Posted Wed Dec 26th, 2007 10:42pm Post subject: Harry Potter and the unabridged audiobooks
i can imagine
i've started book two last night round 1am...
i love my insomnia
tomorrow my work schedule will be back to normal after the hollidays, i have to be careful not to run out of books before new years

in january i'll probably do a potter related project and it would be quite nice to listen to the books whilst working on it. and just listening again won't do cause i can't stand hearing the same book twice in such a short time span.

knowing me i'll either go re-visiting agatha christie (has been years) or hawkings cambridge lectures (again, after like 4 years...) [i actually can see myself explaining wormholes to a 9 year old LOL)

alley

Posted Thu Jan 24th, 2008 11:15pm Post subject: Harry Potter and the unabridged audiobooks
my potter related project was called off (for now)
and i just finished book 3.... i should have been in bed about 2.5 hours ago....
thanks mr fry.... *lol*
would someone please call my boss and explain to him that i'll be grumpy tomorrow morning because i HAD to finish that book?

alley

Posted Thu Jan 31st, 2008 12:47am Post subject: Harry Potter and the unabridged audiobooks
my 2 cents again....
i should have been in bed 3 hours ago.... am half through book 4 and close to wetting my self. stephens german accent is great!!!!
he sounds like a mixture of peter ustinov and my old english teacher *snigger*
reading the book was ok but listening to it read so well is way better.
even though tis really exciting i still have to laugh everytime a durmstrang character appears or he does that slytherin girl with the strong lisp

and i just got one more reason to limit my english to written and read....