Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

uncharmingman

Posted Fri Jun 15th, 2012 11:36pm Post subject: Have you ever written to Stephen?

Hello everyone,

I recently developed an iOS application that helps fight depression and I'm aware that Stephen suffered from it at an early age. I know he's an avid member of the iPhone community and wanted him to check it out. I'm wondering if any of you have ever written to him by hand and whether or not have heard back from him? I would tweet him but he seems swamped with thousands of users!

Regards,
R.

Clive

Posted Sat Jun 16th, 2012 11:55am Post subject: Have you ever written to Stephen?

Hi uncharming man!

Erm, I must admit that I *have* written one piece of fanmail to Stephen, though it wasn't for any cause as worthy as yours and I rather understandably didn't receive any reply. The lack of reply might have been because:

1. It got lost in the mail
2. It got lost in the vast volume of fanmail Stephen must receive
3. Stephen actually read it and thought, 'Why on earth is this loony banging on about wanting to marry me and live in a country cottage with an owl?'

I still actually rather regret writing it - why? Why did I do that? I may have been in a rather dire place, mentally speaking, though it's no excuse, really.

Sorry, none of this is really relevant to your original post! I wouldn't like to hazard a guess as to whether Mr. Fry manages to reply to legitimate, sensible fanmail. If you do write to him, I really hope you receive a reply! Best of luck!

I just jumped at the chance to get my Owl Letter confession off my chest

'Vote for E.L. Wisty, or invisible nudists will come along and smash you round the face.'

(E.L. Wisty)

My Attempt at Tumbling

Twitter: @CliveLive49

ginj

Member *

Posted Sat Jun 16th, 2012 4:05pm Post subject: Have you ever written to Stephen?

I, too, have to admit that I have sent a letter to Stephen. *blush* And like Clive I didn't receive a response either. (BTW, Clive, I really did enjoy your Owl story. ) However, there was nothing different or interesting about my letter, apart from the thousands he receives, that it should have been brought to his attention. So rightly so.

But your iPhone app sounds interesting. If you haven't already you may want to also bring it to the attention of the many mental health organizations who, I would think, would love to try it out as well. Good luck to you Uncharmingman.

EllieK

Posted Sat Jun 16th, 2012 11:19pm Post subject: Have you ever written to Stephen?

Hi uncharmingman

I have written a letter to Stephen too and I did get a reply, but I a) gave it to him by hand at a book-signing and b) put my twitter name in it so he could (hopefully!) reply, which he did, via DM. Frankly I doubt I would have got a reply otherwise because the man is insanely busy and it hardly contained anything spectacularly original or interesting!
I think there's an email address on the website somewhere, you could maybe contact him that way?
Best of luck, the app sounds v promising!

@zany_zigzag on Twitter :)

“If you really want to be happy, all you have to do is say ‘I am beautiful’. So, I want you all tonight to go and look at the mirror and say ‘Stephen Fry is beautiful’. Good night.”