Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Allan

Posted Sun Feb 24th, 2008 2:41am Post subject: Having just seen Episode C.2...
With Doon, Arthur, Andy, and, of course, Alan, there was mention of the Scottish people, and that one person that thought he sounded English, but didn't.

It brought to light my own mildly amusing accent. I am Scottish by birth, and 3/4 Scottish by parentage for at least one generation. I was born in the Highlands, and lived in Edinburgh for about 12 years.

I have since moved to London. My accent has been suggested as American, Canadian, Irish, Northern Irish, West Country, English, Australian and "Where are you from?".

My point is, I'd be interested in meeting Stephen to see what he thought. It'd be interesting to say the least.

ClareBear

Posted Sun Feb 24th, 2008 7:07am Post subject: Having just seen Episode C.2...
I've been asked the South African/Aussie/Kiwi bit, but i've been nowhere near any of those countries (something i'm looking to remedy later)

karen m

Posted Wed Apr 9th, 2008 4:35am Post subject: Having just seen Episode C.2...
i was born in england and have never lived in scotland but my parents are from glasgow, i had two accents growing up, english and scottish depending on who i was with, i could change it in the middle of a sentence until i was about 16 and went on the summer holidays after my gcses and i went back and couldn't speak in an english accent anymore AT ALL . During the hols something must have clicked and i reverted to a scottish accent and have for 5 yrs which is weird, what's more weird is how many times i get told it's weird when ppl ask where i'm from and when did i move to england which is a lot by the way! I also get asked if i'm irish/australian even welsh. I did visit scotland quite a bit growing up because we went to see my family ie aunts/uncles/grans etc, i'm quite happy with my accent but constantly get the piss taken out of me at work when one guy in particular sees me he greats me with och!

you know what annoys me tho, this guy at work turned round and told me that i couldn't even pronounce my own name which i thought was a bit rude, if i had taken the piss out of his jamaican accent i'd be pulled up for racism how unfair lol!