Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

dumbledore

Posted Sun Jul 5th, 2009 11:24pm Post subject: Head above the Parapet
Hello everyone...

Haven't posted on the forum for a while - both parents in hospital at the moment so running between wards visiting etc...

Just wondered if I'm alone in not loving "Dongle of Donald.." as much as I'd hoped. Normally everything Stephen Fry does I love :P. I only need to see his face on TV or hear him on the radio and before long I'm beaming from ear to ear I sooo looked forward to Dongle and episode 1 was brill :), was not that mad abouth episode 2 and when episode 3 started with Stephen reminding everyone of how busy he was and how impatient some had been chasing him for the next installment, I nearly turned off altogether..

Needless to say I may well be out of sorts at the moment what with family circumstances. I've called this topic "Head above the Parapet" as I appreciate this is normally a Fry friendly zone,but wondered if anyone else felt the same.???

gjhsu

Posted Mon Jul 6th, 2009 6:09am Post subject: Head above the Parapet
I must admit that I expected it to be an audio series in which I could just kick back and listen to, but then it turned out to be an adventure (one in which, without the help of this forum and other interwebs sites, I'd be hopelessly and frustratingly lost). I think it's just that it's different, and not what some were expecting.

I can't say that I've actually put all that much time into hunting down the clues, but for those that love the hunt, I can see the appeal.

Yes, it sounds like I'm sitting on the fence, and that's exactly what I'm doing.

ginj

Member *

Posted Mon Jul 6th, 2009 1:15pm Post subject: Head above the Parapet
Shhh...I agree with you. X-D
No, seriously, I do agree with you, and in fact stated so in another thread. I love Stephen, dearly, and look forward to everything he does. This particular project is just not to my taste. Oh well, he does so much, I suppose there was bound to be something that didn't match my time or taste exactly. It doesn't change how I feel about him, nor how much I may be looking forward to whatever his next project might be. I don't know how old you are, but I think this particular project may be more geared to fans who have more time and curiosity than I do.

I do understand that you are busy and under a lot of stress at this time, but I hope you can find the time to look around the site and share things you do like about Stephen and his projects,

PamJH

Posted Mon Jul 6th, 2009 2:11pm Post subject: Head above the Parapet
I thought it would be some sort of intellectual adventure and it was. I have enjoyed listening to the first 2 dongles, but have not done much with the clues. I haven't looked at spoiler threads, thinking that when my kids jump ship later this month for Texas, I'll take a crack at all of it.

I have downloaded the 3rd (after that pricing problem), but haven't listened yet. I'm surprised to hear that he spent time reminding everyone how busy he is. Kind of breaks character, I think. And people are as busy as they wish to be, even our Mr. Fry. He can say 'no' to projects the way we can say 'no' to events and requests that might unduly clog our lives. So I really don't buy the 'so busy' part.

All in all, though, I think I'll enjoy listening to the rest of the dongles even if I never figure out all the clues. It's a very original project, sort of like following an e-treasure map. I wonder how many people will follow it to the end. That would be interesting to know.

michael

Posted Mon Jul 6th, 2009 4:30pm Post subject: Head above the Parapet
i like it a lot! but i like things like that, i love puzzles and it kinda feels like "where in the world is carmen sandiego" except difficult, and with all sorts of narratives and other writing in it...and i've learned a lot of interesting things even on "wrong paths"

i NEED things like that, am often learning random stuff on my own just to stay mentally healthy, but i will slow down and stop sometimes just like some folks stop exercising.

i can totally see, especially if your life is as stressful as yours is right now, that it wouldn't be fun. sounds to me like for now, you need some entertainment that doesn't ask anything of you...you have plenty of other things in life that are asking a lot of you, and i hope that they ease up and your parents' health improves.

re: the "too busy" part...that cracked me up. it's not a break in character...because it was all fictional jokes.

"HELLO I'M TACTILE !" is an anagram of my name

PamJH

Posted Mon Jul 6th, 2009 4:57pm Post subject: Head above the Parapet
i like it a lot! but i like things like that, i love puzzles and it kinda feels like "where in the world is carmen sandiego" except difficult, and with all sorts of narratives and other writing in it...and i've learned a lot of interesting things even on "wrong paths"

i NEED things like that, am often learning random stuff on my own just to stay mentally healthy, but i will slow down and stop sometimes just like some folks stop exercising.

i can totally see, especially if your life is as stressful as yours is right now, that it wouldn't be fun. sounds to me like for now, you need some entertainment that doesn't ask anything of you...you have plenty of other things in life that are asking a lot of you, and i hope that they ease up and your parents' health improves.

re: the "too busy" part...that cracked me up. it's not a break in character...because it was all fictional jokes.

Oh, it was a joke? I didn't know that. I'll keep it in mind when I listen to the 3rd dongle.

Anyway, have you ever seen the magazine Mental_Floss? This is the best magazine around, I think, for random, fun information. You might like it. Here's the link:
http://www.mentalfloss.com/

IdeaCollector

Posted Tue Jul 7th, 2009 9:12am Post subject: Head above the Parapet
I agree whole heartedly with Michael. Very Carmen SanDiego-esque and that is something I've been missing in my life since the early 90's.

Lots of fun and I was really excited to find out there would be a sort of internet web hunt.

Haven't had a moment to listen to 3 yet but I am sooo very much on board with the series.

I used to be EternalStudent on these forums until the switch over. So don't get excited..I'm not someone new and exciting. I'm just me :P

michael

Posted Tue Jul 7th, 2009 5:00pm Post subject: Head above the Parapet
I agree whole heartedly with Michael. Very Carmen SanDiego-esque and that is something I've been missing in my life since the early 90's.

Lots of fun and I was really excited to find out there would be a sort of internet web hunt.

Haven't had a moment to listen to 3 yet but I am sooo very much on board with the series.

do you watch history detectives??

it reminds me of that too! i watched it last night, it was so great! i love how they don't just TELL you the oddity & story straight up, some person hands the investigator something from the basement and says "weeellll...i was wondering if this was rrreaaaallly harriet tubman's aftershave?" and then you get to follow them everywhere tracking clues to find out.

andrealein

Posted Tue Jul 7th, 2009 5:11pm Post subject: Head above the Parapet
I love the concept a lot. But I'm also having the problem that I don't have time to hunt down the clues and I'm not sure when I will be less busy again. So I didn't even download the 3rd episode yet. Right now I'd prefer something I could listen to in my bed before falling asleep.

IdeaCollector

Posted Wed Jul 8th, 2009 4:02am Post subject: Head above the Parapet

do you watch history detectives??

it reminds me of that too! i watched it last night, it was so great! i love how they don't just TELL you the oddity & story straight up, some person hands the investigator something from the basement and says "weeellll...i was wondering if this was rrreaaaallly harriet tubman's aftershave?" and then you get to follow them everywhere tracking clues to find out.

Very rarely. I've always thought it would be fun to watch but I am never sure when it is on.

I used to be EternalStudent on these forums until the switch over. So don't get excited..I'm not someone new and exciting. I'm just me :P

michael

Posted Wed Jul 8th, 2009 4:52pm Post subject: Head above the Parapet
yeah i think it gets moved around. i've only seen it a few times. recently it was on after antiques roadshow. i think its a summer thang.

exoskeleton

Posted Wed Jul 8th, 2009 11:27pm Post subject: Head above the Parapet
while I am really enjoying the dongle stuff, and pleasantly surprised by its nature, I can completely understand why others wouldn't like it. there are a lot of reasons why it wouldn't be ideal. not a negative reflection on anyone to not care much for it.

btw, I took the comments about being busy to be a warning that future episodes would be coming out on a delayed schedule.

anyway, OP, best wishes dealing with your family's health.

sockdolager.

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Thu Jul 9th, 2009 3:40pm Post subject: Head above the Parapet
I'm diggin' the Dongle. When Stephen writes as Donald, it's like he's found a treasure map to my soul. Or maybe a pleasure map. I feel a billion times wiser afterward as if he lifted a veil from my eyes. Especially with the second one and how we look at art. He covered everything that I might have dimly thought of at one point, and put it into gloriously bright words.

All that being said, I know, I just know that I'm going to be irretrievably frustrated with myself when it's all over. I will be deaf, dumb and blind to glaringly bright, strident clues. That Fry is sly.

I'm also concerned that the release dates all say to be determined. We've been over this whole Stephen is super busy stuff before, but it would lend more excitement and interest if the episodes were released on a regular schedule. That's detrimental to a cliffhanger series, I think. The longer in between episodes, the more people will forget clues/references and not be as keen to tackle new ones.

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

michael

Posted Thu Jul 9th, 2009 6:15pm Post subject: Head above the Parapet

I'm also concerned that the release dates all say to be determined. We've been over this whole Stephen is super busy stuff before, but it would lend more excitement and interest if the episodes were released on a regular schedule. That's detrimental to a cliffhanger series, I think. The longer in between episodes, the more people will forget clues/references and not be as keen to tackle new ones.

hey, how can you KNOW when a dead person's gonna get in touch wit you?

HMMM?? HMMMM??

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Thu Jul 9th, 2009 6:39pm Post subject: Head above the Parapet

hey, how can you KNOW when a dead person's gonna get in touch wit you?

HMMM?? HMMMM??

My nipples vibrate.

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry