Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

bogandken

Posted Tue May 29th, 2007 10:38pm Post subject: Hello from some Newbies!
Hello we are new here! Hope this finds all you regulars well.
We can’t actually claim to be the best up-to-date fans on Mr. Fry. He has always been brilliant but we have never quite followed avidly everything he has done. Not a conscious decision just one of those things!
‘Kingdom’ however, we have totally been glued to!
We are not native ‘Norfolkers’ but have lived here on and off for 9 years collectively. We adore the people and place and actively have always sought to be here though the Military does move us around.
The Norfolk people we often liken to ‘Meerkats,’ so friendly and curious yet straight talking and direct. The older generation are particularly endearing ( well we haven’t met one we didn’t like!) and the great sadness of a programme like ‘Kingdom’ is that people might not actually believe that Norfolk has that element of ‘naive charm’ and childlike quality about it!
Well to those outside… it has!
Last year was not the best for us as my husband was in Iraq for a fair chunk of it and left 3 weeks after his Father died unexpectedly…I was totally harassed for much of the Summer and when popping in and out of Swaffham saw the filming going on and gave it little thought as I was often in the background with my ancient car, grumbling with the bonnet open trying to top up my leaking hydraulic fluid with the aid of the local motor factors and gradually depleting Swaffham’s supply of it!
I did this on many an occasion until I could get the pipe fixed so must have appeared somewhat as a stalker!
The next ‘encounter’ I had was driving my husband’s 13 stone monster dog ( Wolfhound) to the vets and I think Mr. Fry was trying to pull in to his house ( dark coloured very expensive car….won’t name the make) didn’t really see the driver… was drooling at the car along with my dog who had his head out of the window and his tongue hanging out of his mouth like half a pound of bacon! Sorry Mr. Fry (if it was you!)I didn’t let you pull in but the dog was stressy so vets priority!
Gradually the penny dropped and almost a year on, my safely returned husband and I sat down to watch ‘Kingdom’. Oddly enough it meant even more to us as the week of the first episode we had to seek legal advice over the acrimonious intestancy problems we have been left with and thinking ‘Gosh…wish he was our Lawyer!!!!!’ and that in essence is the programme!!! So many dramas are all about the nasty infidelity ,shock horror, drug taking, family wrecking tripe…this is something hopeful and lovely and hugely comical! I absolutely roared at the ‘rude veggies’ as that is totally close to my heart and yes, I am that immature at the age of 38!!!!
I have woppled on long enough but nothing I can say can explain the fabulous time we have had viewing this series! My parents live in Liverpool and have visited Norfolk often (my Father fixed that Hydraulic pipe in the end!) and we synchronise watching ‘Kingdom’ as my Mum says it’s a way of being near us!
We always ‘debrief’ after the programme and note how Daddy went to that particular coffee bar or Mummy did that particular thing near there in Swaffham…the usual!
Enough from us but suffice to say Thanks to ALL involved with this terrific series. The Actors/Actresses have all been inspired and I am unable to live down the fact that I have a huge crush on Mr. Snell!!!!!

Terri

Posted Wed May 30th, 2007 10:53am Post subject: Hello from some Newbies!
I think you can be forgiven now that he's captured Gloria's heart too!! Welcome, and thanks so much for giving us such a detailed account of your adventures in "Market Shipborough!"

bogandken

Posted Wed May 30th, 2007 2:12pm Post subject: Hello from some Newbies!
Thanks for the lovely welcome Terri!