Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

boredofsuburbs

Posted Mon Nov 10th, 2008 1:02am Post subject: HELP
Hello readers,
Im currently contemplating my options for next year after A-levels and am currently completely in the dark. I felt that the vast, vast majority of people on this website (appreciators of Stephen) would be intelligent, well-informed and pleasant and judging by much of the poetry etc this is most definately the case.

Thanks for reading and please do give a response and maybe even expand and elaborate on your views.

IdeaCollector

Posted Mon Nov 10th, 2008 3:01am Post subject: HELP
I went straight to university and I have never regretted it. Depends on how much you like education...a lot of people I know took gap years b/c they couldn't stand one more day in a classroom. I love learning like crazy.

As for the menial job bit...depends on if you feel you could be happy doing a menial job. My dear friend went to the UK to work as a waitress in a bar b/c she loved the UK sooo much she thought it would be worth it but she worked long hours at work and was way too tired to enjoy anything after work so she returned after about 8 months.

Good luck on making your decision.

I used to be EternalStudent on these forums until the switch over. So don't get excited..I'm not someone new and exciting. I'm just me :P

Nitro

Posted Tue Nov 11th, 2008 5:11am Post subject: HELP
If you can go to France, then go to France. I'm not sure what 'menial work' is. Whatever you're paid all work eventually becomes just that: work.. and with the internet at your disposal, you might be able to make some points of contacts there before you arrive, if you don't know anyone there already.

You'll go to your favorite country and be able to check that off your list of Things To Do In Life. You'll meet new people, eat some great food, and maybe even make some true friends. And, the entire experience can be more than just a memory but also enhance your career, whatever that is.

If I had been a more sensible person and heeded the warnings and advice of sensible people, I would've never been half the places I have and the experiences as a result of it to draw on for my writing. I don't recommend being overly sensible or safe in Life though I'm not saying you should abandon common sense altogether. Take risks now and then. Don't fret too much about wether your decision(s) aren't going to go perfectly. In fact, expect that they won't. But, you can also know that your plans may very well go even better than you had hoped.

Really? Wow.