Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

skylight

Posted Wed May 9th, 2007 1:14am Post subject: Help Aaaahhhhh!!!
Help. I feel as if I might die and I can't function. What do I do?

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Wed May 9th, 2007 1:50am Post subject: Help Aaaahhhhh!!!
If you feel you might die imminently and there might be some reason why that might be the case, for example, excessive medication, one thing you can do is go to an A&E department or call NHS Direct or the Out-of-hours GP Service, or an ambulance, if necessary.

If you are at risk from someone else you should get in contact with the Police.

A less immediate fear of dying is something that a general practice doctor would be able to talk to you about. You say about a feeling of ‘not being able to function’. If it really does seem a featureless horizon to each side, and front and behind, then it can be an option to call Out-of-Hours GP Services or equivalent.

Useful phone numbers are:

Childline 0800 1111
NHS Direct 0845 4647
http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Wed May 23rd, 2007 1:36am Post subject: Help Aaaahhhhh!!!
It terrifies me when I read something like this and there haven't been any posts since. Does anybody else worry about the posters who disappear?

Nadia

Posted Wed May 23rd, 2007 2:19pm Post subject: Help Aaaahhhhh!!!
It terrifies me when I read something like this and there haven't been any posts since. Does anybody else worry about the posters who disappear?

I do.
Depression is such thing.. Of course somebody can deal with it
after years.. But sometimes it's too hard to survive, I
hope skylight won again! [oh my, and I hope we are talking about bipolar
depression here... ..]

Dear Skylight, if you are here, and if you don't take any medication [I don't..but actually
I regret it sometimes] - the only
thing you can do is wait. Go to bed and wait until these dark days will go
away - they always do.. Takes weeks or months.. You won't die if you'll stay in bed!
I know how bad these days are - please take care.. I hope you can..

Maniac

Posted Wed May 23rd, 2007 3:14pm Post subject: Help Aaaahhhhh!!!

I do.
Depression is such thing.. Of course somebody can deal with it
after years.. But sometimes it's too hard to survive, I
hope skylight won again! [oh my, and I hope we are talking about bipolar
depression here... ..]

Just of interest - I'm not being funny or anything.
Where you say - " hope we are talking about bipolar depression here..." what do you mean?

I have had a diagnoses of clinical depression since an early age - well, teens - and it is only recently that psychs have said BP could be the answer.

Are you saying the BP depression is different or that the OP might soon be out of the depths due to the swinging nature of BP depression.

Thanks - a purely interested poster (Who happens to be off work with the bloody flu!!! AGH!!)

Nadia

Posted Wed May 23rd, 2007 6:33pm Post subject: Help Aaaahhhhh!!!

Just of interest - I'm not being funny or anything.
Where you say - " hope we are talking about bipolar depression here..." what do you mean?

From what I've learnt about my own depressions - BP - they won't
last forever, and after all I'll have happy hypomania days.

Unfortunately I know nothing about clinical depression - how
long it may continue [especially harsh period], when will it end etc..
Will it end at all .. And what comes instead..

Are you saying ...that the OP might soon be out of the depths due to the swinging nature of BP depression.
- ah yes, that's it.. I hope BP works like this quite often.

jewel

Posted Mon Jun 11th, 2007 3:06pm Post subject: Help Aaaahhhhh!!!
clinical depression is a terrible thing because it doesn't have "happy days" as bipolar.. my mom has clinical and she's also became an alcoholic because of that... mixture of alcohol and medicine the doctor prescribed (lithium of course and some other really strong ones) is making her slowly to change to a totally different person...
and that sucks.
e.g. last spring while I was visiting her, she told me calmly that she had tried my brother's belt to see if she could hang herself with it. thank God, she changed her mind.
or the tests showed that she had the lowest possible amount of lithium in years in that hospital...(one of the chemical signs of depression is the decrease of lithium in blood).
I sometimes wish that she could at least have some happy days as people with bipolar do. at least they do have them...but no one can choose it.
recently my doctor prescribed me some medicine from depression I gained during past five years. I am feeling ok now, but I'm still very concerned about my mother. It is terrible to see a close person changing vastly...

clinical depression is curable? maybe. but only when the person really wants to be cured. but if he/she doesn't? if he/she doesn't pay any attention to what a doctor tells to do?
vicious circle...

I'm sorry, maybe it's a bit off-topic, but I somehow felt I had to tell this....

"The game, Mrs. Hudson, is on!"

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Mon Jun 11th, 2007 3:09pm Post subject: Help Aaaahhhhh!!!
Not off topic. And anyway this is a friendly forum where people are welcome to speak their minds. Thank you for contributing.

jewel

Posted Mon Jun 11th, 2007 3:18pm Post subject: Help Aaaahhhhh!!!
thank you, John, for the warm words... I'm only 24 and I've been a mother to my own mother for five years and sometimes it makes me just.... I can't find a word now. I just sometimes can't bear it alone...
sometimes I laugh at myself sarcastically - the soap opera according my life would be a real hit But irony is sometimes the only way to not lose your mind...
I'm glad I've managed to reach this point when I can laugh at myself - it really helps.
Maybe that is why I'm so fond of British humor - it suits me very well

Fourth Feline

Posted Mon Jun 11th, 2007 5:47pm Post subject: Help Aaaahhhhh!!!
thank you, John, for the warm words... I'm only 24 and I've been a mother to my own mother for five years and sometimes it makes me just.... I can't find a word now. I just sometimes can't bear it alone...
sometimes I laugh at myself sarcastically - the soap opera according my life would be a real hit But irony is sometimes the only way to not lose your mind...
I'm glad I've managed to reach this point when I can laugh at myself - it really helps.
Maybe that is why I'm so fond of British humor - it suits me very well

Sounds like you are doing a great job under very difficult circumstances Jewel, I truly salute your strength and qualities as a caring yet resilient human being.

I wish you and your Mother all progress at this challenging time.

Warmest regards,

F.F.

jewel

Posted Mon Jun 11th, 2007 6:06pm Post subject: Help Aaaahhhhh!!!
thank you Feline... as the old proverb says: "The shared joy is doubled, the shared pain is cut to half..." (that's only my translation of this proverb from Lithuanian, don't know if English one exists)
and as I understand, we are here to share them both. That's the most amazing thing between people...

Nadia

Posted Mon Jun 11th, 2007 7:29pm Post subject: Help Aaaahhhhh!!!
Jewel , You are incredibly strong person - i admire
You ability to manage Your life. Take care and..
It was very interesting ..and sad - to read about clinical depression.
I've found several articles about it and going to read them -
to fight self-ignorance. Oh if only ppl around us were less ignorant and
more supportive maybe..world could be a better place - even
for bipolar and depressive ones. Especially for bipolar and depressives.

jewel

Posted Mon Jun 11th, 2007 9:56pm Post subject: Help Aaaahhhhh!!!
Nadia, thank you for kind words... I am not so strong or brilliant at managing this problem, actually I often feel helpless, because it's the hardest when you actually can't do anything to help your dear person... but as my sister often likes to say, life is like zebra - after the black stripe always comes the white one. and I know I can do a lot if not for my mother, then for my siblings... it's just that weariness and feeling helpless - those feelings sometimes are very hard to bear. but then I take a rest from everything (if possible) and after that I feel new strentgh. the most important thing (though it may sound a bit selfish) is first of all not forgetting to take care of yourself and if you feel that you reached the edge, you have to do this "restart" as I like to say - have your own time doing anything... even if it is only lying on the sofa with a huge cup of tea and watching romantic comedies or "A bit of Fry and Laurie". I sometimes spend the whole week like this (oh well I do go to work). and it helps for me to gather my strength again. I'd like to teach it my mother...but I'm not a professional... it's just over my abilities.
anyway, I still have hope, doesn't matter if the stripe is black... I know, the white one will definitely come. and if we didn't know what is black, I think we wouldn't appreciate white so much...
ok, it's rather late, so thanks for listening tonight...

jewel

meekychuppet

Posted Mon Jun 11th, 2007 10:01pm Post subject: Help Aaaahhhhh!!!

How YOU doin?

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Tue Jun 12th, 2007 5:03am Post subject: Help Aaaahhhhh!!!
Hang in there Jewel.
xox
Pete