Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

jewel

Posted Wed Jun 13th, 2007 7:22pm Post subject: Help Aaaahhhhh!!!

I think you're asking the 64 Trillion Dollar Question Here. (Adjusted for inflation and latest CPI figures - 13th Jun 2007), and that is "what is the meaning of life?"
<...>
I believe that work is simply a way to put the icing on the buns. But you need to give yourself time to eat them when your not at work (that's leisure time). I know too many people who have worked and worked in order to add sprinkles, only to turn around and find that the buns have disappeared, gone stale, or have been eaten by someone else.
As I mentioned before Jewel. Creativity is my own world, a world away from work, and I make it what I want it to be. It allows me to express and record, but more so, it gives me a reason to live.

you're so right about that question - one of those rethoricals... everybody gets to it at least once in their lives.
creating something helps, I know that myself - I've written some of my best poems while suffering hard times. But I also have written some great ones during my good times and that's a delight because I don't want to suffer just because to create great poems, so I'm glad I can do it also when I'm kinda happy.
but my real world to run away is literature. it always have been after my parents divorce when I was little. I love it when I can melt in the world described in a book. and I have a full control of it - I can stop reading whenever I want or return to the special moment in there as many times as I want to... that also suits while watching films or favourite series. although sometimes it seems that this fictional world dominates a bit in my mind and you definitely don't need that in relationships with other people. I actually can't hear anything if I'm reading really interesting book...I even sometimes respond, but later can't remember a thing. however, I'm trying now to change that naive point of view which I've developed while running away from real life.

but today I'm sitting with a glass of Merlot and some cheese and watching some favourite "bits" (and of course waiting till 10 pm - it's mr. Hugh's time here, in Lithuania, on "House M.D." )sometimes you really need a "restart". and that's ok.

the point is, i can see the sense in wanting to do a calmer job (like the hotel receptionist) sometimes that makes sense. is there anything similiar that means you could work during the day?

I understand that pretty well, Panda. I just don't seem to have any choice now, only to continue looking for another job. the unsatisfying job sooner or later will drive you crazy (one of the reasons my mom gained her depression is the wrong job). one of my dear friends once told me: "Can you imagine working there for years? if not, then you have to do something about that." and I agree with him. one can always adjust onself to an unsatisfying job, but it depends only when he/she couldn't stand it anymore.
and I know I'm not gonna work as a hotel receptionist (at least in Lithuania) - just the ugly money thing. I just don't know what kind of job I really want now. I wouldn't like to deceive my future employers if I suddenly decide that it's not what I want to do. I've kinda deceived my current employers though, that's why I'm so worried - stupid clear conscience
anyway, I hope you'll also achieve some kind of decision. My best wishes and thoughts with you and Pete - thank you so much for sharing.

jewel

"The game, Mrs. Hudson, is on!"

Crazy_in_a_box

Posted Wed Jun 13th, 2007 8:53pm Post subject: Help Aaaahhhhh!!!
Hiya guys,

read through all of your conversation, fantastic! its exactly where I was last September and I found that other then the spiritual/meaning side to the question, a site I was given really helped me in terms of careers and such. It basically gave me a clear outline of the jobs Im suited to. It got me into the Interior design and seriously Im the happiest in terms of career choice that I've ever been!

here is the link:

http://www.careerdirections.ie/

panda

Posted Sat Jun 16th, 2007 8:52am Post subject: Help Aaaahhhhh!!!
thanks for that link crazy in a box. i've been doing the questionaire and its very interesting. only problem is that i'd need to do a new degree!

jewel

Posted Sat Jun 16th, 2007 11:15am Post subject: Help Aaaahhhhh!!!
I also wanted to thank you, Crazy in a box, for the link I did the test, but it showed nothing very different from what I thought I could do. Alas, that leaves me much more puzzled... but I think I'll redo the test once more there are so many questions which I just couldn't decide what to answer.

panda

Posted Sat Jun 16th, 2007 12:13pm Post subject: Help Aaaahhhhh!!!
yes, there were some questions i couldn't decide how to answer as well. but very interesting to see all the different jobs broken down into different things. some of the elements i hadn't really considered before.

wish i had done this while i was doing my a'levels. please can they give this to sixth formers so they can consider their careers better! (i.e. wish they'd given it to me!!!)

Crazy_in_a_box

Posted Sun Jun 17th, 2007 2:23am Post subject: Help Aaaahhhhh!!!
Im glad it helped you guys, or even just gave you some food for thought. I did it and the more questions you do the more refined the results are... it also gets you to think about things, like would you actually want to work say with children or would you even consider something using computers or maths or creativity.

Jewel, if it showed you what you already are doing or want to do then maybe that is a sign that you are already in the right area of work?

what results did people get? if you dont mind me asking.... hahaha

Britannicus

Posted Sun Jun 17th, 2007 3:17am Post subject: Help Aaaahhhhh!!!
Woo! It gave me ecology as the top answer! Good sign, seeing as I'm going into it, haha.

"Your room...it's CLEAN!!!"
"I prayed to God...and...it happened...but...where's my million dollars and horse!? Damn it!"

jewel

Posted Sun Jun 17th, 2007 3:52pm Post subject: Help Aaaahhhhh!!!
mine was multimedia analyst or software tester... don't know really, earlier I was quite sure I wanted to be a software tester, but now I don't think I could. It's because I'm in the wrong job right now and it puzzled me. I work as a consultant, I would like it if it wasn't only about accounting (I have to consult accountants who work with our company's software for accounting). It's too much of accounting and practically nothing of informatics... I hate it, because I was a bit too hasty when I left my previous job, but the situation was such that I couldn't wait any longer.
I'll redo the test and maybe I'll manage to clear everything.
by the way, one of rather suitable jobs was script writing I think I'd like to... but here, in Lithuania... no possibilities

Crazy_in_a_box

Posted Sun Jun 17th, 2007 7:35pm Post subject: Help Aaaahhhhh!!!
nothing stopping you writing in Lithuania but publishing elsewhere....!

sure you might aswell have a shot at everything, at least give yourself the oppertunity (spl) to say you have tried it.... nothing worse then regretting NOT doing something.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Mon Jun 18th, 2007 3:05am Post subject: Help Aaaahhhhh!!!
nothing stopping you writing in Lithuania but publishing elsewhere....!

Totally agree . Nowadays it's very easy to submit to publishers ect, or even publish yourself.
Catch ya's
Pete