Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Maniac

Posted Sat Jun 2nd, 2007 8:58pm Post subject: Hightened emotional responses..Anyone?
Does anyone else get this?
I only seem to get it in a negative way.
I've always had it and it's always a bad sign but I'm fighting it this time.

Simple things cause me to well up but most of the time it's intense but doesn't break into tears - if that makes any sense at all.

I just watched Dr Who. I knew it was going to make me feel like this so I watched it to see.
There were moments when I felt incredibly emotional - upset emotional and at the end I cried - it broke,

Usually I would have got ADs by now.
Not sure why I've not and can't say why I feel I won't.

Bugger.

littlelonelyone

Posted Sat Jun 2nd, 2007 9:41pm Post subject: Hightened emotional responses..Anyone?
I do!
Movies, a song, even a picture sometimes will kick up an emotional moment from what seems like no where. It happens to me the most, I have noticed as I am cycling down, which I have sort of started to watch for as an indicator of what is to come, it has come in handy at times, especially since I seem to have no emotional responces to anything in the up times, during my manic cycle no emotional responces seem to get through. Does anyone else have that type of a problem? I have had many very unpleasant experiences because of it.

Fourth Feline

Posted Sat Jun 2nd, 2007 9:43pm Post subject: Hightened emotional responses..Anyone?
Hello there,

Yes, I get the same when starting to rise up from the 'flatness' of a depressive phase. Profound song lyrics, poignant films and music suddenly seem to leap out and grab my tear ducts !

I ( and my close friends ) read this as a good sign, as it heralds me returning to life and being my old sentimental, life embracing self ...

Enjoy it, it is life's way of reminding you that you have re-joined the warmer, and more sensitive part of the human race - Hurrah !

F.F.

Maniac

Posted Sat Jun 2nd, 2007 9:59pm Post subject: Hightened emotional responses..Anyone?
It tends to be a 'going down' sign for me, FF.
:'(

Nadia

Posted Sat Jun 2nd, 2007 9:59pm Post subject: Hightened emotional responses..Anyone?
Erm.. Short - Yes. I have it too.
Long - I'm so upset right now I can't type )) really. Yes, I have it too.

Norfolkian

Posted Sat Jun 2nd, 2007 10:16pm Post subject: Hightened emotional responses..Anyone?
Yep, I get it too, although I'm 'unipolar'. I cry easily at things... and not just sad/upsetting things, but if someone does something kind or something like that, I well up and think I'm so lucky, but I still feel sad at the same time. It's very confusing...

And I never used to be like that before I got sick - it's not that I didn't feel these things before, just that things seem to affect me more now. And I swing between being greatly affected by things and feeling numb and not responding to things at all. It's weird, it's like my mind's very selective. For example, the whole Madeleine McCann thing in the news - this sounds horrible, but I feel nothing. But another story about a child that's died or something can make me break down and feel terrible. Is this completely weird?!

littlelonelyone

Posted Sat Jun 2nd, 2007 11:03pm Post subject: Hightened emotional responses..Anyone?
Is this completely weird?!
I wouldn't say it is, not at all. But that is coming from someone that's family looks at like the beast of emotional numbness, since I had no emotional responce to hear my brother David, back in 2004, killed himself, but three months later after hearing that my beloved dog from childhood had died I almost had a breakdown over. Needless to say even after dealing with my mental illness since my childhood my family is still less than understanding or supportive, I swear if it was up to them they would just lock me away and never look back.

Maniac

Posted Sat Jun 2nd, 2007 11:17pm Post subject: Hightened emotional responses..Anyone?
Happy things do it to me also.
It's not even as if I have time to think about it and that's what makes me upset.
It's almost instantaneous.
!!

varick

Posted Sun Jun 3rd, 2007 12:07am Post subject: Hightened emotional responses..Anyone?
I get it.

For my own personal situation i know why i get it.

All i can say if it is worth anything, is that it is perhaps better not to ask why you become like this, but instead think what can i do about it. Or more importantly what do i want to do about it.

I can not say for certain, but it is often better not to know why, for my case, i know why and it makes me feel a lot worse.

That is just in case you do wonder why, as most people would do so i imagine.

Basically, best for you to think what you want to do, and then think how you can do it. At the end of the day, it is what you want to do that effects you.

But there you go, just a though.

Peace.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sun Jun 3rd, 2007 7:57am Post subject: Hightened emotional responses..Anyone?
Yes I do. Obviously a touching moment in a movie, but also in real life situations. I don’t so much cry when things go wrong, even if I’m very low. (Although I wont deny I have at times). But I certainly do in situations that touch me in some way, no matter what my state of emotion is.

I remember a situation years ago. Mum and Dad had gone on a holiday to England. I was waiting for them at Adelaide Airport in arrivals amongst all the people, who were waiting for their loved ones. As I was waiting for Mum and Dad to clear customs ect, I was watching everyone else as they were greeting their friends and relatives, happy to see them. That was it. Could feel that lump in my throat starting to form. About 5 minutes later Mum and Dad appeared through the arrivals gate, and I burst into tears as I hugged them. They asked what was wrong. Think they thought I might have set their house on fire while away…. Or something like that. I just couldn’t explain.

The other thing that makes my cry at times is in listening to music. Not all, but that odd fraction of a percent, and usually sad (but not necessarily always).

So in a nutshell. Yes.

Catch ya
xox
Pete

cuckoo

Posted Sun Jun 3rd, 2007 2:36pm Post subject: Hightened emotional responses..Anyone?
Surpisingly I get it when hypomanic as when I am depressed I don't really have the energy to cry. However, when I was on a high dose of antidepressants (venlafaxine) I couldn't cry and so in these situations I became agitated and ended up in dangerous mixed states. So I think being an emotional person is great and shows you can empaphise even if sometimes it is a little inconvenient.

Maniac

Posted Sun Jun 3rd, 2007 2:49pm Post subject: Hightened emotional responses..Anyone?
I've not explained myself well.
I hate it.
How can it be good to feel so overwhelmed by a negative emotion in ANY situation be it pleasant ( to others) or nasty!?
It fills me up from my stomach and comes up towards my throat. If I give into it I don't cry usually, I just whimper! It's freaky.
If I try to suppress it, it takes all my energy and my face quivers. I get a lump in my throat and I can't speak for a moment.
FFS!

Sorry. Feel better now.
Not meaning to have a go at anyone, just myself - can't explain it to myself let along put it into words.