Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

shatzi

Posted Sat Jul 7th, 2007 6:13pm Post subject: Hippopotamus
I'm about to start "Hippo," it arrived in the mail last week. I hear it's, well, an experience!

WorldOfDrivel

Posted Sun Jul 22nd, 2007 12:26am Post subject: Hippopotamus
Gotta love grumpy old Ted Wallace. He's a whisky-sodden beast of a man, but he has his defects, too.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sun Jul 22nd, 2007 10:19am Post subject: Hippopotamus
A press character in the book is called Max Hastings - isn't that just a HUGE coincidence?

holdthenewsreadersnose

Posted Mon Jul 23rd, 2007 10:00pm Post subject: Hippopotamus
I've just read it whilst on holiday in Turkey, and the only Max I remember seeing is one Max Clifford, John. By the way, it's a fantastic read, for those of you who haven't read it yet.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Mon Jul 23rd, 2007 10:09pm Post subject: Hippopotamus
Sorry I always confuse the two. Max Hastings is a Fleet Street Editor (I think), Max Clifford is a PR agent. Looks them up on WIkipedia.

mattic

Posted Sat Aug 4th, 2007 8:12pm Post subject: Hippopotamus
I love his discourse on why women don't like sex ("If women liked sex as much as men then....then there wouldn't be so many rapes."); and Oliver's excellent rebuttal on the subject of sex on the TV ("People also get into bed together and cosy up; good thing.").

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sun Jan 13th, 2008 1:04pm Post subject: Hippopotamus
I really liked this book. I got some looks when i was on the bus laughing at it though

GirdYourLoins

Posted Fri Apr 25th, 2008 1:27pm Post subject: Hippopotamus
i really liked this book but i thought the end came together too quickly by the end i mean the whole ''Healing'' thing

Sayuri Nitta

Posted Tue Aug 5th, 2008 8:29pm Post subject: Hippopotamus
Fascinating and very interesting book. It shows that the life is really surprising thing
I'm absolutely agree with Mattic - thing about men's and women's sex was very exactly developed there (!)

gjhsu

Posted Fri Aug 8th, 2008 1:08pm Post subject: Hippopotamus
I thought it was a fun book, written in a style I'm not sure I had encountered before. Almost half of the book is made up of letters between characters. Good story, definitely recommended.

John Sasser

Posted Sun Aug 10th, 2008 11:37am Post subject: Hippopotamus
Just finished reading it last night.

Absolutely fantastic, I've never been so drawn in by a novel and so interested in the characters. The last 30 pages or so had me excitedly turning each page and actually had my heart thumping faster.

A classic.

Katzeneurotic

Posted Sun Feb 1st, 2009 9:56pm Post subject: Hippopotamus
I loved it too. It was my first Fry book and I felt strange reading it. It was as if I had a hard time adjusting myself from the comediant Fry I knew to the writer Fry.
quite unsettling in the 'horse-healing' scene - the description was very...exact.

erik

Posted Wed Feb 4th, 2009 1:20pm Post subject: Hippopotamus
Well, of course I thougt it was great, or I wouldn't have read it. I usually follow Stephen King's advice and read for about twenty pages whether I love it or hate it (not so with Dan Brown; like Stephen I was almost instantly repulsed :D). Then I stop and wonder whether I want to read the rest.
In the hippo case, it once again proved a good idea. I actually had some small trouble getting into the book at first. I wasn't sure who was writing the first bits (which, I suppose, was who it's meant to be), but found the near-rants fascinating. I couldn't agree more with male vs. female libido, although I disagree with the presentation and the details. You know how it is when you read something like that, I'm sure.
Anyway, the whole setup with the traditional detective novel is immensely funny when coupled with this story-line. I kept getting images from Gosford Park running through my mind.
The horse scene was very graphic, but consider your reaction to it... Isn't murder worse? It was wonderfully un-PC, but I don't think it overstepped any actual lines. But then again, I'm from Denmark, so...
Bottom line: Absolutely worth a read in my opinion. I think I read it in two pieces (although it's a year back or so, my memory could be failing me.

PamJH

Posted Wed Feb 18th, 2009 4:32am Post subject: Hippopotamus
This is an excellent yarn, ladies and gentlemen. Though I did enjoy The Liar, I thought this book was better developed. Makes me wish Mr. Fry had time to write more novels.

The opening rant is classic.

exoskeleton

Posted Sun May 24th, 2009 11:50pm Post subject: Hippopotamus
finished this today. I meandered my way through the first half over the course of a couple of weeks and then read the second half all this weekend.

I thought the story was very good, and I was quite pleased with the resolution. I'd like to see Daisy Diary that night! my favorite digression was into Michael's family history, and my least favorite digression was the trip to the hospital. my favorite new word was "dissembler."

also this:

is a ha-ha. that was the most confusing word that I didn't know.

sockdolager.