Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Katrina

Posted Mon May 25th, 2009 6:48pm Post subject: Hippopotamus
a ha-ha. that was the most confusing word that I didn't know.
Dude I know! I was trying to picture it and thinking, "what the hell is that?" I did laugh out loud at the word, though.

Open to suggestions as to what my sig should consist of...

pebbles

Posted Sat Aug 14th, 2010 9:16am Post subject: Hippopotamus

Just finished listening to the audiobook for the second time. Great story, very appropriate subject (in these times) and most of all, great characters.
When I first "met" Ted Wallace I was shocked by how much he uses his great insight for contempt (although he does see through that too...noticed more of that the second time around). Or more precisely, I was a little shocked that Stephen had such a side to him, since he always seems to put a lot of himself into his characters. But of course very soon I loved old Ted dearly, and if letting him have a typical happy end was a little bit cheesy, I don't care. He deserves it and I'd hate it if he didn't get it. Loved Oliver too, even though certain people react to my sceptical views a lot like he does sometimes and I'm fed up...his way of expressing himself is far too funny to hold it against him .

Clive

Posted Thu Oct 21st, 2010 6:47pm Post subject: Hippopotamus

Ha ha! So that's a ha-ha! LOL, I'm a doo-doo head, not looking that up before now. What a boo-boo. Reading a book without looking up an important term - bit of a a no-no. I'll just sit here in shame playing my tom-toms. Eating bon-bons. Heh-heh.

'The Hippopotamus' is maybe my favourite book of all time. I just re-read it, but the first time I read it didn't really count because I was about thirteen and in that stage of adolescence when you think you can heal people by having sex with them. I sympathised with Davey massively and was hugely crushed when Ted shattered the whole illusion. I seriously considered going and hiding in a ha-ha, but didn't know what one was. I thought about stripping naked and hiding in the airing cupboard, but pictured my Mum's undisguised astonishment when she entered to shelve the bath towels and decided against it. I did strip naked and wrap myself in the bedroom rug in a sort of tube achieved by grabbing one end of it and rolling, but I did that occasionally anyway and no one thought it was strange.

One of my favourite things about Stephen Fry's writing is how perfectly he conveys the horrific awkwardness of adolescence. It's brilliant the way it conjures up the warped and embarrassing and fumbling way you try to make sense of the world in those in-between years! When you think you're the only person in the unviverse like you and that you must've been put on this Earth for some special reason and that everything you do is a trial that you must suffer like a martyr and that soon everyone will discover this and you'll be vindicated and revered and then you'll be able to take off your mask and reveal the shining golden lizard's skin underneath and tell the world your true planet of origin and the sacred purpose you've been sent to fulfil, namely to gather all Music channel presenters together and carefully surgically remove their eyes leaving the optic nerve in-tact and promise to replace them only when they've apologised for the atrocities they've committed.

This time I read most of 'The Hippopotamus' in the bath and put lots of bath oil in the water so that I would slide straight into my clothes afterwards. That was weirdly the one thing I remembered from reading it the first time - Ted's piece of advice about bath oil - and I've carried that with me ever since.

'Vote for E.L. Wisty, or invisible nudists will come along and smash you round the face.'

(E.L. Wisty)

My Attempt at Tumbling

Twitter: @CliveLive49

Spots

Posted Sat Nov 27th, 2010 2:03pm Post subject: Hippopotamus

This is what I'm reading at the moment.

bebefryyounge

Posted Thu Dec 23rd, 2010 5:08pm Post subject: Hippopotamus

I'm still reading this book at the moment. I find the book is Stephen Fry, because there is so much of him in the book itself. I really don't like the horse shagging scene....it's very disgusting >_<

Tabascofanatikerin

Posted Sat Mar 5th, 2011 6:13pm Post subject: Hippopotamus

I finished the book "The Hippopotamus" today.
I would have finished it already a few days or a week ago but I have been studying for weeks for an exam and still do.

Back to topic: "The Hippopotamus" is great
I like it for several reasons:
- the characters. Not only the main character Ted but also the whole family where you're surprisingly not confused with although there are a lot of family members in the story but it's always clear who is it exactly about. That's a good sign for a writer
- the atmosphere
- the writing style
- the bizarre situations we find our "heroes"

Only complain: the view on the story. First Ted tells it in a first-person view and there are letters between him and Jane, a flashback to the Hungary and England of World War 2 where it's clear Ted hears it from Lord Michael Logan.
But what about the parts in the book Ted can't know about or isn't the story teller himself? That's a little confusing.
Okay, we also had that in "Making history" but it's not a bad idea to put the story teller Michael "Mikey" Young into movie script like chapters where his behavior and actions appear better in third person. My opinion.

In a nutshell: I like this book very much. Not as much as "Making history" but I had much fun and would read it again
And of course I wanna make fanart about it.
I already have two motifs in mind: a family picture and one poster-like motif which would fit better to the title.

By the way: sometimes I took the book with me to the kitchen so that I could read one chapter or two while the water was boiling.
In such a cooking moment I was reading the chapter about David and Lilac, his horse, in the stable in the night.

Always remember: The answer is forty-two, there can only be wrong questions!

Tabascofanatikerin

Posted Wed Apr 6th, 2011 10:02pm Post subject: Hippopotamus

One month gone and finally have something to show, wether you've been waiting for something or not

So, here's my first real Hippopotamus fanart:

Full resolution: http://tabascofanatikerin.deviantart.com/art/The-Hippopotamus-203857820

It's the bar scene quite at the beginning of the story. With Jane, a waiter, Ted...and his reflection.
It was drawn with coloured pencils.
Actually I wanted to do a complete family portrait but I don't know if I will do that at all. Actually I would still try that.

And exclusively shown here: sketches with Ted and Jane.
And please don't be shocked

I hope you like my first tries!

Always remember: The answer is forty-two, there can only be wrong questions!