Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

july26

Posted Fri Apr 13th, 2007 1:26am Post subject: his books brief reviews
“The Hippopotamus” -- Oh well…
“The Liar” -- A liar has written this novel.
“The Stars' Tennis Balls” -- Reading this book I realized I hate violence and cruelty in literature.

“My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music”. (Nabokov)

AxmxZ

Posted Fri Apr 13th, 2007 3:11am Post subject: his books brief reviews
“The Stars' Tennis Balls” -- Reading this book I realized I hate violence and cruelty in literature.

“My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music”. (Nabokov)

And did "Making History" wake any latent hatreds within you as well?

Gertrude Susanne

Posted Sat Apr 14th, 2007 8:30am Post subject: his books brief reviews
VERY good question, AxmxZ...

What exactly is that supposed to mean

AxmxZ

Posted Sat Apr 14th, 2007 6:55pm Post subject: his books brief reviews

What exactly is that supposed to mean

Perhaps he's referring to the Epimenides Paradox?..

Gertrude Susanne

Posted Sat Apr 14th, 2007 7:43pm Post subject: his books brief reviews

july26

Posted Sat Aug 11th, 2007 3:18am Post subject: his books brief reviews

I love his talent of a writer, I love him as a man, but his books (which I know) seem to be too British, in my view.

lady_galahad

Posted Sat Aug 11th, 2007 3:47am Post subject: his books brief reviews
If there's one man who's allowed to be TOO British (if there's even such a thing), it is Stephen Fry. And I've only read Moab, but I'm desperate to find the rest. I've never read anything like it.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sat Aug 11th, 2007 8:56am Post subject: his books brief reviews
Ooh! That's something that really gets on my nerves! "Stephen Fry is so British!", "I just love your British accent!", "Say something in British for me!".

Just for the record, Britain is a group of islands, of which the main one consists of two nations and a principality. Each of these has a a variety of different accents and cultures. Add to that the differences between people of different ages and social circumstances and you have a place as diverse as anywhere else.
So what exactly is this "Britishness" or "British accent"? If the Scots and Welsh come from Britain why does nobody talk about Sean Connery's "Britishness" or Anthony Hopkins "Britishness". Why is "Britishness" only attributed to people with the RP accent, one which is not an indicator of one's region but something acquired by education - a sincere accent if one has been brought up with it like Stephen has, but a fake accent in the sense that it does not define a locality.
I know nothing about you, Lady Galahad, so I am kindly assuming you're saying British out of habit, but please understand that to confuse "British" with "educated English" is as absurd as calling "southern drawl" the "American accent" or calling French people "Europeans" and the rest of the continent by their nationality only.
n.b. We English are guilty of something similar to my last comment - usually when we use the word "Europeans" we mentally don't include ourselves among them.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sat Aug 11th, 2007 9:55am Post subject: his books brief reviews
Having said all that, if more English people were like Stephen Fry it would give us a proud identity.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Sat Aug 11th, 2007 11:03am Post subject: his books brief reviews
That's something that drives me mad too. What is British? There's so many different accents in this country like anywhere else. People from foreign countries seem to think we all talk like Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins or bloody Hugh Grant. *gag me with a spoon*

Assuming direct control...

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sat Aug 11th, 2007 11:05am Post subject: his books brief reviews
Yes, I used to wonder what Americans made of the British Bulldog, the Mancunian WWF wrestler.

lady_galahad

Posted Sun Aug 12th, 2007 2:59am Post subject: his books brief reviews
Ooh! That's something that really gets on my nerves! "Stephen Fry is so British!", "I just love your British accent!", "Say something in British for me!".

Just for the record, Britain is a group of islands, of which the main one consists of two nations and a principality. Each of these has a a variety of different accents and cultures. Add to that the differences between people of different ages and social circumstances and you have a place as diverse as anywhere else.
So what exactly is this "Britishness" or "British accent"? If the Scots and Welsh come from Britain why does nobody talk about Sean Connery's "Britishness" or Anthony Hopkins "Britishness". Why is "Britishness" only attributed to people with the RP accent, one which is not an indicator of one's region but something acquired by education - a sincere accent if one has been brought up with it like Stephen has, but a fake accent in the sense that it does not define a locality.
I know nothing about you, Lady Galahad, so I am kindly assuming you're saying British out of habit, but please understand that to confuse "British" with "educated English" is as absurd as calling "southern drawl" the "American accent" or calling French people "Europeans" and the rest of the continent by their nationality only.
n.b. We English are guilty of something similar to my last comment - usually when we use the word "Europeans" we mentally don't include ourselves among them.

Now I'm embarrassed, because I'm always telling my friends that British means the whole lot too, and saying that there's no such thing as one single British accent. I just sort of lazily assumed that july26 meant English. It's pretty accepted where I live that British means English. Sometimes I forget to fight it.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sun Aug 12th, 2007 10:09am Post subject: his books brief reviews
I'm certainly surprised to hear of an Australian doing it.

lady_galahad

Posted Sun Aug 12th, 2007 10:51am Post subject: his books brief reviews
Australia is becoming depressingly Americanised. The three main commercial TV channels pretty much are American, and only the public broadcaster, the ABC, gets most of the good stuff from the BBC. Ask most high school students if they watch the ABC and they'll laugh in your face. Odds are that, upon questioning, they won't even know where Scotland is. And we all know it's cool to be ignorant.

But, for what it's worth:

I hereby do solemnly swear to use the word 'British' only in its correct context, and give permission for anyone catching me doing otherwise to smack me over the head. Repeatedly, if necessary.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sun Aug 12th, 2007 12:39pm Post subject: his books brief reviews
X-D I love the way you made it sound like you were repeating an oath after Stephen. I picture you holding a bible with your hand in the air as he tells you what to say.