Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

susanstewart1

Posted Wed Jul 29th, 2009 5:10pm Post subject: holidays, why I love Britain!
I'm often asked why I've never been abroad, I'm sure travel expands the mind and opens ones eyes to other cultures and so on, but I have never really wanted to go anywhere that badly. I mean the pyramids of Giza, or some other wonder of the world, but I fear my fantisy of the place would be lost if I were to actualy go there. You see my problem is I romanticise these places, and I hate disapointment more than any emotion.
But also I have yet to see all the far reaches of this isle of my birth, Britain! I'm a Brit, a Scot to be beautifully pedantic, I live in an astounding part of Scotland, the north east, I reside in Aberdeen but I have family in Moray and Banffshire, it's so breathtaking I was raised here yet I fight tears sometimes when I look out of a window, we have lovely White beaches, rolling hills, monroes draped in purple heather that taiper into moors and marsh land, extinct volcanoes, woodlands full to bursting with protected species such as, the red squirrel, and the capercailie.
Now why would I want to go to costa del lavitory, to sit an watch teats get mortal on cheap booze, when I can sit on a hill and feel so thankful I'm alive. I love old blighty and I I don't think anywhere could come close to it, romanticised or otherwise.

"An original idea. That can't be too hard. The library must be full of them."
Stephen Fry

Maxx England

Posted Wed Jul 29th, 2009 5:45pm Post subject: holidays, why I love Britain!
The countryside of the English Midlands does it for me, especially at harvest time on the rare occasions we see the sun.

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?

cecily

Posted Mon Aug 10th, 2009 9:08pm Post subject: holidays, why I love Britain!

Hear, hear. Norfolk does for me what Scoatland does for you. Whilst I have been abroad, and seen many wonderful countries, Norfolk is where my heart is, my home. Should I never go abroad again, it is of little matter, should I not venture beyond the North Norfolk coast, again it is of little matter to me. Whilst I am proud to be British, I am so fortunate to say I live in Norfolk and always will be!

"Luxury must be comfortable, otherwise it is not luxury"

joan

Posted Tue Aug 11th, 2009 4:19am Post subject: holidays, why I love Britain!

You lot make me feel utterly awful. We came to Australia in 1979 to try to get a better future for our new born son. Thatcher was the reason - we felt the evil cow would ruin everything. She did, but in retrospect we
could have survived.

Now we have two grown sons who belong here, and are happy and successful. So in that sense we certainly did the right thing.

As for ourselves, we tried and tried over the years, but unlike our sons, we still do not feel we belong. We miss the Yorkshire moors, the history, the pure Englishness of it all, the seasons....

So we pretend to ourselves that all is OK, and a lot of the time it helps, but sometimes despair overwhelms me. I shove it to one side, but end up feeling nothing - no sadness, but also no happiness.

I was better when I had a fight on my hands - I was active in the local anti-racism movement when a racist MP got elected in our area, but she's been long since defeated. I realise that the UK has racism problems, and I would probably be in strife attacking the BNP etc, but, well, I still feel like a fish out of water after all these years.

There's always the telly though - I watch Time Team, repeats of Foyles War, and other UK telly programs that appeal to me. Trouble is, this country is sport mad: it dominates the telly, but I have zero interest in sport. In fact most of the time I loathe the bovine excrement and evil behaviour that goes with popular sports like the various 'footie' codes.

Such is life.

Derek Holding-Willey

Posted Tue Aug 18th, 2009 6:01pm Post subject: holidays, why I love Britain!

Hm, have you been to Canada?
Immaculately clean. Unfailingly polite and helpful.
Gay-friendly, respectful yet exuberant.
Beautiful wildernesses.
I am English through and through but I would move to Canada without hesitation were I not too old and decrepit to be accepted.

Maxx England

Posted Tue Aug 18th, 2009 7:58pm Post subject: holidays, why I love Britain!

I suggest the sudden development of wealth. Wealth is such a fine, upstanding quality in a body, it excuses all sorts of failings, mass murder, profound sexual deviancy, political extremism.

Yes, I propose that you develop wealth, which will clear the path, calm the stormy seas and lubricate your passage.

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?

susanstewart1

Posted Tue Aug 18th, 2009 9:18pm Post subject: holidays, why I love Britain!

Maxx England said:
I suggest the sudden development of wealth. Wealth is such a fine, upstanding quality in a body, it excuses all sorts of failings, mass murder, profound sexual deviancy, political extremism.

Yes, I propose that you develop wealth, which will clear the path, calm the stormy seas and lubricate your passage.

I am poor and always will be, I have been descriminated against by my fellow man for my ethnic and religous backgrounds, I've suffered abuse in more than one area of my life but NOTHING can take the wind, rain hills and countryside from me, that has always been my only escape from facist, racist, sectarianist, ingnorant perverted people,

"An original idea. That can't be too hard. The library must be full of them."
Stephen Fry

Nev Danger

Posted Sat Sep 5th, 2009 11:01am Post subject: holidays, why I love Britain!

I hate a lot about this country and the way it is run. I hate the way we vote for people to run it. "I'll vote for him, he's the lesser tosser and probably won't rip me off as much as the other tosser will".

I hate the way the bad people are protected and the good people are left to suffer. I hate the way bad people commit such hideous crimes and take away the rights of the victims, but hide behind their own rights for protection.

I still love the bloody place though, and folk won't drive me out. All of my holidays are taken in the UK, I never see that changing.

Confused by life