Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Nitro

Posted Tue Sep 22nd, 2009 12:17pm Post subject: House

Does not having ever liked this character, even with the talented Mr.Laurie in the role, make me a jerk around here? lol

I don't watch it religiously - because, as I said, I don't like it much - but caught the season opener last night.

He's now evolved from drug addled, sardonic, thin, and ballsy to neutered, fat, clean, and tame. The first evolution is what dragged most of the fans of that show in ( generally speaking ) and now they're sterilizing the guy into..what?

I really don't understand shifting from realism to idealism as the panacea route for tv series, but it's quite overdone IMHO.

Really? Wow.

marzgirl

Posted Wed Sep 23rd, 2009 3:54pm Post subject: House

Oh, I just love it. I guess partly because he says what he wants, things most people would just say in their heads. I don't think he will be neutered. I will just wait and see.
He told a falsehood in an interview. Said there are musical elements in the season opener and he will be doing something he has never done before, out of his element............here is my evidence.......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdRfhARwGoI

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
~Martin Luther King Jr.~

Nitro

Posted Wed Sep 23rd, 2009 11:34pm Post subject: House

He was in a sanitarium in the season opener..it was the season opener right? I could easily be wrong about that.

He was all typically Mr.Sardonic, Rebel Without A Pause Patient...fighting the shrinks etc etc...then decides he IS sick and becomes co-operative and almost complacent. That's why I said 'neutered'. Anyway, it's a popular show wether I watch it or not LOL

( I may be baised as I'm also no fan of just about anything produced by Fox. I mean, they gave Bill O'Reilly a fucking platform to spew his nonsense. )

Really? Wow.

marzgirl

Posted Thu Sep 24th, 2009 1:27am Post subject: House

Oh well........Stephen Fry is going to guest star on Bones. That is on Fox. LOL! I do watch Fox news but then I watch John Stewart and the Colbert Report to make sense out of the whole mess for me. LOL!

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
~Martin Luther King Jr.~

gjhsu

Posted Thu Sep 24th, 2009 3:20am Post subject: House

Nitro said:
He was all typically Mr.Sardonic, Rebel Without A Pause Patient...fighting the shrinks etc etc...then decides he IS sick and becomes co-operative and almost complacent. That's why I said 'neutered'.

Right, he decides he really is sick at that moment because he's never caused anyone any actual, physical harm before, and to do that to someone he had become attached to was his tipping point. I don't see the writers making him an emotional teddy bear anytime soon, but if they do, hopefully they can work with it and make it still lovable.

marzgirl

Posted Thu Sep 24th, 2009 2:30pm Post subject: House

There is always an inner conflict going on with him. Hugh Laurie does such a good job of showing that. Until now he has used his cases to distract himself from other issues and bottled himself up until he finally cracked. Everything has its breaking point. Also in the premier episode Wilson asked House if he was afraid he would lose his gift, his edge if he took his meds and accepted he needs help. That is such a real worry for everyone with MH issues. Stephen Fry worried about that himself.

~Martin Luther King Jr.~

IdeaCollector

Posted Fri Sep 25th, 2009 3:38am Post subject: House

what i find odd is how different fox is from fox news. fox news can die while being waterboarded for all i care...but family guy and the simpsons are on fox and they are very liberal.

I used to be EternalStudent on these forums until the switch over. So don't get excited..I'm not someone new and exciting. I'm just me :P

marzgirl

Posted Fri Sep 25th, 2009 3:55am Post subject: House

Very true Collector. I wonder if they are really run by the same people. Curious, I never thought of that before....I am more a John Stewart and Stephen Colbert gal these days......fake news? Really? LOL!

~Martin Luther King Jr.~

marzgirl

Posted Tue Sep 29th, 2009 3:34pm Post subject: House

HaaaaHaaaaa House was goood last night! Switched his urine with a labradore because he wanted to see if Wilson was going to check it. Well, Wilson did check and it was so freaking funny! So Wilson got caught checking House's urine and so House handed him a fresh sample in a coffee cup. All in all, he is the same House we know and love! Except he did smile more, he had FUN being snarky.

~Martin Luther King Jr.~

Nitro

Posted Wed Sep 30th, 2009 3:26am Post subject: House

At the risk of being flayed by House fans, I'm going to disagree totally that he's the same character. I'm talking about where they're moving the character to.

I also feel like the primary thing they always pointed to as being his 'real problem', his 'drug addiction', hurts thousands of people who are dependent on pain killers to function.

There's a difference, believe it or not, between addiction and dependence. Addiction implies use of some thing without having an original need. Dependence is a requirement. Like a one legged man with a crutch. Is his crutch an 'addiciton'? No. He needs it, but not in the same way as someone who'd use the same crutch to play croquet lol

Many people don't understand this, and I think I hate that the makes of the show feel it necessary to have his use of Painpill X, come across as some major problem. I know someone who will have to inject morphine into themselves for the rest of their lives, because there is no surgery that can relieve their pain. And that's only one person. Many other people would not be able to walk, sit, bathe themselves etc without the aid of painkillers. Yet we constantly confuse them with addicts/junkies.

I'm betting they got letters by the buckets from ignorant do-gooders complaining that House's pill use 'encourages' little babies to look for crack. I mean, I'm exaggerating a bit here but to make a point. Sending House off to a sanitarium was interesting, but using the pills as a vehicle? Nonsense. I feel like, over time, they're going to sterilize this character so badly you might as well be watching Marcus Welby, MD. Where else do they have to go? Return him to the pills? Well, there we go demonizing medicine again.

The guy supposedly has this badly painful leg and I'm assuming it's beyond surgery to help him( he's a world class doctor with access, anyone might assume, to the best medical opinions out there ). Most people dependent on pain killers to function do so through a special doctor who is trained to look for 'red flags' that indicate some patient might be ( MIGHT BE ) abusing their meds.

But hey, they're great stories for House and Dr.Phil and Oprah ("People Addicted to Pills And Why We Watch Them: next Wednesday on your favorite talking head show!!)

Really? Wow.

marzgirl

Posted Wed Sep 30th, 2009 3:09pm Post subject: House

I agree with you there Nitro. People with pain that take their pain medications as they are needed for the reason prescribed rarely get addicted. Pain problem vs. drug problem. My Uncle had a morphine pump inplant because of a spinal fusion gone wrong and the pain was constant. Anyway, House is fictional and you have to take it for what it is worth. House was still his snarky self, only difference is he was having fun being snarky. Those that write into the show ranting over the show encouraging drug use, have way too much time on their hands. I don't think babies watch the show. I don't watch the show until after my kids go to bed because that is my time and I want to relax and enjoy it without my kids asking me a question every 30 seconds. Sit back and enjoy the value of a good performance and good writting.

~Martin Luther King Jr.~

Nitro

Posted Sun Oct 4th, 2009 4:16pm Post subject: House

"Sit back and enjoy..."

Um, no LOL I'd have to have my critical thinking skills entirely removed.

As I stated to begin with, I'm not such a huge fan of the show I watch it regularly. I've seen *enough* shows to understand 'the gist'. There's writing and there's good writing. I don't check my brain at the door of anything I watch and if I'm in the minority in that case, so be it. That's OK. The 'suspension of disbelief' is one kind of goal on the part of directors and writers. If that's a fail, it's a fail. There were a myriad of directions to take that character and, IMHO, they copped out and took the easiest and least imaginative path.

It's just my opinion and, hopefully, I won't have to keep repeating that LOL

Really? Wow.

marzgirl

Posted Sun Oct 4th, 2009 4:50pm Post subject: House

Well, we agree on your first point and will agree to disagree on the second. Whatever floats one's boat!

~Martin Luther King Jr.~

woolnoir

Posted Mon Oct 5th, 2009 2:33pm Post subject: House

Its interesting, on the whole people either love or hate the show. The majority of people in my social arena love it though. Most people i've known who comment on it compare it to other medial dramas, commenting that the odd and predicable diagnosis methods and results make it at best unrealistic and at worst boring.

I guess the way i'd describe it is a relationship drama, the house <-> wilson dynamic is pretty much the thing that MAKES the show for me, houses moods, quirks and addictions just add to this.

But seriously - he wont be staying 'clean' for long.

marzgirl

Posted Mon Oct 5th, 2009 4:34pm Post subject: House

That is part of what Nitro and I were discussing. I know they add the whole vicodin thing to the show to add to the drama, but in real life people with true pain problems are not all that likely to become addicts. But all that aside, for all the reasons stated by woolnoir and of course just the brilliant acting by Hugh Laurie make the show worth while to me. My lifestyle might differ from Nitro's, as I do need to check my brain at the door as a copeing skill at times. I have a son who is bipolar and a high maintanence 4 year old daughter. So for me, mindless escapism is enjoyable and much needed.

~Martin Luther King Jr.~