Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Nitro

Posted Mon Oct 5th, 2009 6:04pm Post subject: House

On second read, my last post was very poorly worded and I want to apologize if I offended *anyone* who might've thought I was implying that their favor of the show actually MEANT they were 'checking their brains at the door'. Profuse and sincere apologies. I'm very pissed at myself about having bumbled like that, because it's NOT what I meant to say at all, nor imply.

And, I'm all for mindless entertainment whenever one wants it. And we all define that differently, no doubt..what qualifies as mindless for one might be meaningful for someone else.

I guess one thing I should have said, and haven't, is that I think it's apparant to a lot of people that Hugh Laurie is very talented. Maybe it's because of that talent I'm a little disappointed in the writing lately. It feels 'wasted' somehow, for lack of a better word. He's more than capable but, to my knowledge, is not one of the writers or producers.

The 'war on Rx pills' has been a real populart topic lately on tv shows here. Routinely, they are presented as middle-aged housewives running around doctor shopping and Vicodin is probably THE most identified medicine in their addiction. The flip side of people who HAVE to use pain killers is almost never, ever shown in sitcom nor news media. On House, you have this character literally suffering physically with a painful leg and his ONE solution to function has been turned into the foundation for his 'problems'. To me, that's a cop out. And I do hope it changes for the better.

Really? Wow.

marzgirl

Posted Mon Oct 5th, 2009 6:58pm Post subject: House

I was not offended Nitro, but I appreciate your apology. I got the jist of where you were coming from at the start concerning the 'war on Rx pills'. I had back surgery this past March and still have some sciatic pain. So as a legitimate chronic pain sufferer, it does anger me that because of the hypervigilance due to the handfull of what might be not so legitimate folks out there, I might not be taken as seriously as I should be. Also, when my pain first started I waited until I could not even walk before I went to the doctor because I had an ER doctor once, in not so many words accuse me of being a seeker. Had I gone sooner, I could have started the physical therapy alot sooner and my problem might not have gotten as bad as it has. Even after a MRI confirmed my condition a doctor sent me home with regular strength tylenol. So, that just confirms my feelings of not being taken seriously.
I saw your point of view and I hope you saw my point of view. I think it is possible for people to disagree but still see and understand why the other would think the way they do.

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
~Martin Luther King Jr.~

Nitro

Posted Wed Oct 7th, 2009 3:38am Post subject: House

marzgirl, I agree. And hope you are getting better. Any suspicion you may have that you are being seen as a 'seeker' for its own sake is well founded. There are thousands of stories out there of folks in your situation who have gone through or are going through the same exact process of dealing with 'doubting doctors'. I know that probably doesn't help, but maybe knowing you're not alone in that will a little bit.

I'll tune in occasionally to see how they deal with House's chronic pain in his leg. Knowing Hollywood, he'll find some new age mumbo jumbo zen master crystal gazing granola eating solution LOL

Really? Wow.

marzgirl

Posted Sun Oct 11th, 2009 2:01am Post subject: House

I hope you are wrong about that last part Nitro
I know this is the House thread, but are there other programs you watch on a regular basis?

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
~Martin Luther King Jr.~

Nitro

Posted Sun Oct 11th, 2009 3:21pm Post subject: House

Not really. Like I said, I get Peasantvision so there's not a lot of offering except major networks stuff but get PBS and sometimes there's something on there. I'm probably one of those people that don't represent the viewing audience networks/Nielsens rely/bet on.

Plus, I hate commercials so when I do watch TV, I'm continually hitting the 'mute' button. I get tired of that and then just shut it off and do something else LOL

Really? Wow.

marzgirl

Posted Sun Oct 11th, 2009 5:46pm Post subject: House

I have been watching some documentaries as of late. One about Ann Frank. And there were several about ancient Egypt and it just so happened my son had to do a report about the pyramids, so that worked out well to supplement his reading and make it more interesting.

~Martin Luther King Jr.~

Nitro

Posted Mon Oct 12th, 2009 5:21am Post subject: House

Sounds like you had good timing with the Egypt show. The only drag of not buying TV, for me, is not having the History channel, but books work too lol

Right now PBS, who seem to be fully funding Ken Burns' career, are airing his documentary on our national parks. It's been interesting and well done for the most part, but I tire of Burns' continual use of photo panning and seems like he adopted the sound track from his Civil War series for this one too. Blech. It would've been better if they'd used the music of those times ( mostly 20's - 40's ) than the civil war but oh well...

Really? Wow.

marzgirl

Posted Mon Oct 19th, 2009 1:29am Post subject: House

I read as much as I can. I have been reading about Henry VIII and Elizabeth I. With kids I don't get to read as much as I would like. I watch alot of forensic shows too. I watched one the other night on the military channel about how they are still trying to track down Nazi war criminals that might still be alive and out there living under assumed names.

~Martin Luther King Jr.~

Nitro

Posted Wed Oct 21st, 2009 2:54am Post subject: House

The average of those Nazi's has got to be around..what?..70 or so? Maybe more?

Any working mother who finds the time to read a book is performing time management miracles. When I got older and saw the books my mom had kept, I was and sitll am amazed she managed time to herself for it lol

Really? Wow.

Soliton

Posted Mon Oct 26th, 2009 4:45pm Post subject: House

House is the Sherlock Holmes of differential diagnostics. Holmes had cocaine, House has Vicodin. Holmes had the violin, House has his guitar and piano. Holmes had Dr. Watson, House has Dr. Wilson. Both were dour, intellectual loners.

All that House needs now is a Moriarty as a nemesis. I propose an Urbane Englishman who is an expert in stochastic computing and artificial intelligence. He creates a software package that beats House to each diagnosis, threatening House's raison de vivre. House becomes a chessmaster competing against a chess computer.

I will call this nemesis McAurthur Moore. He was an early inventor of stochastic computing at Robert Gordon's Institute of Technology in Aberdeen, Scotland. He has just completed a fellowship at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh in artificial intelligence. He is in Princeton on a fellowship to develop an Internet-based tool that could make every doctor on earth Greg House. He is witty, smooth, and unbelievably English upper crust. A big teddybear of a man who out parables house and who steals House's friends with his charms.

If there were only an actor with the proven chemistry in re: Hugh Laurie to pull this off, I would order the DVD before it is even written.

“It is a noteworthy fact that kicking and beating have played so considerable a part in the habits which necessity has imposed on mankind in past ages that the only way of preventing civilized men from beating and kicking their wives is to organize games in which they can kick and beat balls.”

Nitro

Posted Mon Oct 26th, 2009 6:06pm Post subject: House

Now if that's not a push for Stephen Fry to take the role of McAurthur Moore, I don't know what is! LOL

Really? Wow.

Soliton

Posted Mon Oct 26th, 2009 7:51pm Post subject: House

Professor McArthur Moore (Aka Arty Moore) is actually a fraud. Luckilly, it will take House 16 episodes to prove it. I do not want paid for my poor input. I simply would insist that the phrase "coxed pairs" must be used in an episode by Fry and that Laurie would have to respond. That would be payment enough.

“It is a noteworthy fact that kicking and beating have played so considerable a part in the habits which necessity has imposed on mankind in past ages that the only way of preventing civilized men from beating and kicking their wives is to organize games in which they can kick and beat balls.”

Nitro

Posted Tue Oct 27th, 2009 12:41am Post subject: House

LOL!!!

Really? Wow.