Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Nick Tann

Posted Sun May 4th, 2008 9:38pm Post subject: How did Harry Hill win a BAFTA?
I have no problem loving Harry, whom I saw live at Glastonbury years ago, have followed his progress, watched his various shows over the years AND also Stephen similarly.

I feel I can love both just as I love a rich red wine and a hoppy ale.

Ambush indeed, I thought it was a bacon tree....

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Mon May 5th, 2008 6:15am Post subject: How did Harry Hill win a BAFTA?
Stephen Fry and Harry Hill; red wine and hoppy ale. You've got to have a system.

ratoutofhell

Posted Mon May 5th, 2008 8:05am Post subject: How did Harry Hill win a BAFTA?
Stephen Fry and Harry Hill; red wine and hoppy ale. You've got to have a system.

Indeed X-D

Ambush me if you like - I don't care, because I got a Banksy print for my birthday and very little else matters!

"If you are dirty, insignificant and unloved then rats are the ultimate role model" - Banksy

masquerade

Posted Mon May 5th, 2008 10:21am Post subject: How did Harry Hill win a BAFTA?
I'm going to add my voice to the outcry of disbelief... seriously, how?!

One thing I find particularly amusing, though, is the ]video my boyfriend made about his opinions on the subject!! I think he went a little overboard but the Harry Hill haters will probably appreciate the sentiment. X-D

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=W_GKmGGgAlE

Nick Tann

Posted Mon May 5th, 2008 11:16am Post subject: How did Harry Hill win a BAFTA?
I watched the video up to the point where he said that he had never seen Harry Hill before, I could watch no more.

Let us take, for a moment, our dear Sir Stephen (it can't be long surley!) Imagine if you can, hearing him moaning about his hatred of the dance. Now, we have all loved Stephen for many moons and know of his "back story" .
But what if we had not? What if this pleasing whine was the first utterance we had had of the man, what would we think of him then?

Quite.

As I have said before, if you do not find Harry funny then you just don't understand him. To bang on about how unfunny he is only highlights the fact that you don't understand.

To hate him because he "deprived" Mr Fry of a BAFTA is the very sourest of grapes .......

oogabooga

Posted Mon May 5th, 2008 12:40pm Post subject: How did Harry Hill win a BAFTA?
I don't think it's fair to say that to not find him funny is because he isn't understood. Please don't insult someone's intelligence just because they have a differing sense of humour!

Nick Tann

Posted Mon May 5th, 2008 5:09pm Post subject: How did Harry Hill win a BAFTA?
Surely that is what this thread is about?

Shyamz

Posted Mon May 5th, 2008 6:32pm Post subject: How did Harry Hill win a BAFTA?
Now come on peeps, isn't this all getting a bit ripe? Be nice.

The topic isn't supposed to be about putting people down who have a different sence of humour to you. Like I said, I did like Harry Hill for a while, but felt he was past his peak quite a while ago,l so I for one am not totaly against him.

"The sprouts of evil!!!!!!!.......OOOhhhhh!!!!"

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Tue May 6th, 2008 6:15am Post subject: How did Harry Hill win a BAFTA?
This thread summarised in a nutshell:

Group A: We don't like Harry Hill and what's more we sneer, look down on and belittle anyone who does.
Group B: We do like Harry Hill and we think you don't understand him.
Group A: How dare you be so rude as to sneer, look down on and belittle us! That isn't nice, gorgeous, moist, pink, fluffy or true!
Group C: I know my place.

ratoutofhell

Posted Tue May 6th, 2008 10:52am Post subject: How did Harry Hill win a BAFTA?
Nicely put, Mr Steed!

As a proud member of Group B, all I can say is that I do not wish to sneer, look down on or belittle anyone. If you don't get Harry Hill, you don't - but I feel rather sorry for you. That is all.

"If you are dirty, insignificant and unloved then rats are the ultimate role model" - Banksy

Help

Posted Tue May 6th, 2008 12:05pm Post subject: How did Harry Hill win a BAFTA?
I'm going to add my voice to the outcry of disbelief... seriously, how?!

One thing I find particularly amusing, though, is the ]video my boyfriend made about his opinions on the subject!! I think he went a little overboard but the Harry Hill haters will probably appreciate the sentiment. X-D

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=W_GKmGGgAlE

he said he looked like a turtle-HA

amyl_nitrate

Posted Thu May 29th, 2008 1:13pm Post subject: How did Harry Hill win a BAFTA?
Everyone has different tastes in comedy. That's a good thing. It would be boring if everyone liked the same, everything would become the same and get very stale. However you can understand something and still not find it laugh out loud funny. I find there are different levels of funny. There are stuff that can make me laugh until teaers are rolling down my cheeks and I can hardly breath. There's stuff I find funny and clever and witty that I think is brilliant but it makes me smile rather than laugh out loud.

Assuming direct control...

Shyamz

Posted Sat Jun 7th, 2008 2:17am Post subject: How did Harry Hill win a BAFTA?
That was nicely put.

And I agree with it too. But I take issue with the other topic posts here, stating that people who don't like him simply don't understand him, and therefore would like him if they simply did "get" him, (after all, remember telling your parents years ago "you just don't understand our music, THAT'S why you don't like it it's good!" silly realy wasn't it?) X-D

My first taste of comedy was offered up to me by Monty Python, and was very shortly followed by Reeves and Mortimer (in Big Night Out), and as our first experiences of something will effect our feelings towards it for the rest of our lives, I thinks it's fair to say I've always had a love of the odd, bizzare and interesting side of comedy, as well as a lifelong love of the more "standard" type of stand-up or sit-com.

So I get Harry Hill...I get what's happening there, and how it works within its own rules...but in his case, it didn't take long to wear off for me.
I like many exponents of the odder type of comedy, including Hill. But I just didn't keep liking Hill for long.

It is possible to "get" it, and still not like it.

That is all.