Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Nitro

Posted Sat Mar 19th, 2011 2:52pm Post subject: How safe is your cell phone, really?

Bob Smith goes home and takes a picture of his son in the front yard of their home, then texts it to Grandma.

The image is intercepted by people suspicious of Bob, or computer thugs hoping to exploit Bob, and Bob's picture of his kid leads them directly to his home address.

This isn't future tech. It exists in your phone, now. Any file you transmit with your cellphone gives your latitude and longitudnal co-ordinates.

In America alone, various authorities accessed these files, via the carriers db's, over 8 MILLION TIMES, give or take.

Depending on how you look at it, the earthquake in Japan causing a slight drift off course of some GPS satellites may be a good thing.

Really? Wow.

Mandala

Inactive

Posted Sat Apr 23rd, 2011 7:01am Post subject: How safe is your cell phone, really?

Wait till you see google maps track nearby tweets by time stamp on topographic view.

The question is not how to defeat the loss of privacy, but how to guide public perception to make reasonable judgments about the meaning of the data. That's much harder to focus into an action plan. Sway people into independent thinking as a default and the knot will unravel from the inside. We need an X-prize for THAT.

Nitro

Posted Sun May 1st, 2011 6:27am Post subject: How safe is your cell phone, really?

I started this thread because many people using smartphones really have no idea how easy it is for them to be tracked.

*cough* APPLE *cough* ( Hmmm..I wunnder if Mister Fry there will spin an apologists perspective on this recent news )

So there it is: folks who bought iPhones had no idea that Apple did a naughty to them. Pfft! People get attached to a technology and then feel forever compelled to defend its every fault.

If people knew how quickly a program like SpyBubble could be pushed into their phones they might be a lot more careful to keep their phones on themselves.

If you don't want to be tracked, my advice is this: remove the battery AND the SIM card dears. Yes, it's inconvenient but if you need extreme privacy, that's one way to get it. BTW, one symptom of a phone that's been jacked is that the battery life is drained much faster than usual. The built in microphones in smartphones can be used to record conversations in the room. SURPRISE!!!

I would disagree with you slightly MCW, even though I also agree that data should be given thought. I still think it's important that the masses stop being asses, wake up, and realize that if they don't want their privacy compromised, they must be pro-active and involved in learng how to avoid it. And I think the various governing authorities need to be reminded that their intrusions are not necessary nor wanted.

Really? Wow.

Kubluku

Posted Sun Jul 10th, 2011 6:00pm Post subject: How safe is your cell phone, really?

How safe is my phone? well, lets start with these reasons!
1. battery is empty!
2. battery is missing!
3. nobody ever texts or phones me anyway!
4. I dont have anyone elses numbers!
5. where I live doesnt get much signal!
Yeah, try hacking that phone!

#All I need is love#...
http://www.facebook.com/people/Sean-Anthony-Gilfillan/100000784779534
Please add me, I just want some friends : )

Nitro

Posted Mon Jul 11th, 2011 4:09pm Post subject: How safe is your cell phone, really?

some people just don't need them, and you sound like one of those people...i was talking more to those who are fairly well 'tethered' to their phones and the relationship is inescapable...

i'm really not a Luddite...tech makes a lot of good things available to us...some people use hammers to build stuff...others might just whack themselvces in the head with them...repeatedly...

Really? Wow.