Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

cecily

Posted Wed Feb 4th, 2009 8:19pm Post subject: Huge (norfolk huge) Lorries using C roads and my bridge.....
To start, I live in a Mill, which is over a river, thus there is a bridge outside the Mill which joins one part of the village where I live to the other village. The road which is joined to the bridge is a C road, which I believe means vehicles of a certain weight should not use it. If only I could find legal documentation to state that these lorries are not allowed, never should be allowed, but have their tyres let down if they do, use the C road, then drive over my bridge then as luck has it get stuck trying to get under the railway bridge to reverse back over my bridge. Apparantly I own the bridge, well two in fact and therefore am responsible for the maintenance of these bridges, but the Highways own the road which goes over my bridge. I did try the Billy Goats Gruff story on the man from the highway and byeways, but he say no I had to pay for the maintenance. I then told him that as it was my bridge then he had to remove his road, no luck again. My point is these damn huge lorries full to the brim of sugarbeet come hurtling down the little C road, roll over my bridge with all their weight and then thunder down the street with all the cute little cottages, with no thought to ducks, swans, and small children, least to say me when I am going for a run, they even have the cheek to honk their horn at me to get out of the way.
Be fair to these lorries I say to myself, when a bylaw was produced it stated that the bridge could be used for the transportation of sugarbeet, but then that was with a horse and cart, probably the whole weight being equvilent to one of the huge tyres on a lorry. So I ask, if I own the bridge, why oh why am I unable to stop traffic of a certain weight from using my bridge, apparantly as the highways own the road then they say the lorries can go over it. Here we have a chicken and egg, which came first and if first then does that constitute who owns what?

"Luxury must be comfortable, otherwise it is not luxury"

erik

Posted Thu Feb 5th, 2009 10:14am Post subject: Huge (norfolk huge) Lorries using C roads and my bridge.....
It's annoying I'll grant you. My father had a similar problem at one time (won't go into it, no point), so I sympathize. Jolly bad luck and all that. ;p
Can't you sell the bridges? Can't you write a letter to your local councilman (or whoever you have in charge of that sort of thing)? My father's rather fond of writing scathing, sarcastic letters to local officials. I think they do no harm, and they give him a lot of stress relief. And sometimes somebody actually responds and he gets some useful information.
But I have to admit that it was the word Norfolk that attracted me to the thread. What is it about Norfolk? I'm from Denmark myself, and I just don't know...
In one QI episode, Rich Hall was talking about medical acronyms (Gomer, get out of my emergenzy room; Sara, sexual activity related accident). Stephen said that where he was from (Norfolk), they used NFN, which meant Normal For Norfolk. And everybody laughed, and I got completely left out because I don't know what it is about Norfolk...
So if anyone would care to enlighten me, I'd be grateful.

ClareBear

Posted Thu Feb 5th, 2009 10:50am Post subject: Huge (norfolk huge) Lorries using C roads and my bridge.....
You need to talk to someone in planning. Your MP will also be useful...

Maxx England

Posted Thu Feb 5th, 2009 1:01pm Post subject: Huge (norfolk huge) Lorries using C roads and my bridge.....
Erik, every country has places where the locals are regarded as being a, out of time and step with the rest of the country, b, inbred 6 fingered banjo pickers. Norfolk is one of ours; also north Warwickshire just up the road from here is the ancestral territory of many hill communities in the American South, and still has cultural markers liniking them. An example: I was introduced to my friend's mother, sister and girlfriend. A bit worrying, there was only one woman there.

Cecily, get hold of both the relevant councillor, your MP and talk to the Highways Dept as well. How old are the bridges? Can you get a preservation order raised and the weight limit reduced? Perhaps English Heritage is another body to approach.

The Pack Horse Bridge in Water Orton near me is substantially protected although it's still a busy thoroughfare, so it's not as if there's no precedent for reducing weights/widths/access periods.

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?

erik

Posted Thu Feb 5th, 2009 3:09pm Post subject: Huge (norfolk huge) Lorries using C roads and my bridge.....
Thank you ever so much, Maxx.

cecily

Posted Thu Feb 5th, 2009 8:44pm Post subject: Huge (norfolk huge) Lorries using C roads and my bridge.....
Thanks for the replies and advice, had a run in with one of them thar lorry drivers today driving his great ole lorry over my bridge. Sorry to add the dialect, anyway had a confrontation with a driver of a rather large HCV early this morning...it went something like this.................
C - Waves frantically at lorry to slow down
Lorry stops and window goes down
C - Why are you using this road, it is a C road, therefore you know by law you should not be using this road as a short cut.
LD - And which route would you suggest Love that I use?
C - The North Walsham road of course.
LD - Well love, you get the cost of diesel down and I'll use that route.
C - I suggest you stop using this route, whilst I appreciate that diesel is costly you are constantly damaging my bridge, and after all are you going to pay for it?
LD - Tough
C - I can guarantee that you and all others will not be using this route for much longer. (This is said as lorry closes window and drives off)

So you can imagine I feel more incensed now, I wonder if his diesel per annum is coming out of his pocket unlike the bridge repairs which have to come out of mine.
I am sure this is going to be a long drawn out campaign, and Norfolk County Council and the Highways Department will one day acknowledge that the bridges in our county need preserving.

michael

Posted Thu Feb 5th, 2009 10:01pm Post subject: Huge (norfolk huge) Lorries using C roads and my bridge.....
Erik, every country has places where the locals are regarded as being a, out of time and step with the rest of the country, b, inbred 6 fingered banjo pickers.

hey, i think i'm only short one finger from what you described. or need to cut off four.

"HELLO I'M TACTILE !" is an anagram of my name

cecily

Posted Thu Feb 5th, 2009 10:29pm Post subject: Huge (norfolk huge) Lorries using C roads and my bridge.....
You just have to love the inbreds, after all, are we all not just 6 removed from being inbreds ourselves, well those of us who believe we are not inbreds and come from good stock. Perhaps reading Darwins theory on his own marriage to his cousin (the Guardian Jan 19 2009, article history) and that this union caused illnesses in his own children, clarifys the inbreeding theory, who knows. Still I would perhaps suggest that removing a finger or two is not a good idea, apart from the pain, well what else is there, and if you do have an extra finger, you are in good company the Mother of Queen ELizabeth I (Anne Boylen) had six fingers, which leads me one of Anne Boylens homes Blickling Hall (http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-vh/w-visits.....enandpark/) nr Aylsham, just love the place and I am sure many an inbred worked there over the years. Sorry just love to get in anything to do with where I live, such a beautiful wonderful too perfect for words place, I really do love Norfolk.

michael

Posted Fri Feb 6th, 2009 1:04am Post subject: Huge (norfolk huge) Lorries using C roads and my bridge.....
all i know is: six fingers on one hand would make you a BITCHIN' banjo player

i think i'd like norfolk. i hear it's flat. here's where i live

erik

Posted Fri Feb 6th, 2009 1:14pm Post subject: Huge (norfolk huge) Lorries using C roads and my bridge.....
here's where i live

And I thought I lived in a flat country.

Maxx England

Posted Fri Feb 6th, 2009 4:17pm Post subject: Huge (norfolk huge) Lorries using C roads and my bridge.....
all i know is: [b]six fingers on one hand would make you a BITCHIN' banjo player[/b

Never quite understood why the 6 fingered are so attracted to an instrument that only requires 4.

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?

michael

Posted Sat Feb 7th, 2009 12:09am Post subject: Huge (norfolk huge) Lorries using C roads and my bridge.....
all i know is: [b]six fingers on one hand would make you a BITCHIN' banjo player[/b

Never quite understood why the 6 fingered are so attracted to an instrument that only requires 4.

YOU DO USE BOTH HANDS YOU KNOW!!

how could i hammer on, pull off, etc with one, lol!

Occy

Posted Sat Feb 7th, 2009 3:24am Post subject: Huge (norfolk huge) Lorries using C roads and my bridge.....
can I just say zomg! You live in a mill and own bridges - COOL

cecily

Posted Sat Feb 7th, 2009 10:11am Post subject: Huge (norfolk huge) Lorries using C roads and my bridge.....
can I just say zomg! You live in a mill and own bridges - COOL
Perhaps! The truth is the best part is living in Norfolk and always will be.

Occy

Posted Sat Feb 7th, 2009 11:03am Post subject: Huge (norfolk huge) Lorries using C roads and my bridge.....
Can I move in?