Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Clive

Posted Sun Jul 1st, 2012 2:46pm Post subject: Hugh Laurie Blues

On Friday, I went to see Hugh Laurie play live in Glasgow. The train travel there coincided with massive flooding between the NE of England and Carlisle, and subsequently it was the most horrendous journey I've ever taken. I have to say, though, that it was completely and utterly worth it. The concert was immense. It was the best night I've had in years! The man is a Legend.

I was, however, so frustrated by the train journey that I felt compelled to write a Blues song about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKELzvB1JIw&feature=youtu.be

'Vote for E.L. Wisty, or invisible nudists will come along and smash you round the face.'

(E.L. Wisty)

My Attempt at Tumbling

Twitter: @CliveLive49

ginj

Member *

Posted Sun Jul 1st, 2012 3:19pm Post subject: Hugh Laurie Blues

Glad to hear you enjoyed the concert so much. These two men (together and individually) sure can brighten up an otherwise unpleasant evening.

inckognito

Inactive

Posted Mon Jul 2nd, 2012 7:03pm Post subject: Hugh Laurie Blues

I went to see Hugh on Tuesday play live in Moscow!! Still under HUGE impression!!

Funny you mentioned flood, cuz after concert we emerged outside into absolutely showering!! The time I got to the car I was soaked to the skin, haha

His blues is still vibrating in my veins...

EllieK

Posted Tue Jul 3rd, 2012 1:28am Post subject: Hugh Laurie Blues

I've just been to see him at the Hammersmith Apollo in London and it was BRILLIANT!
The music is so beautiful and Hugh obviously had such a blast playing it The band were amazing too, the whole evening was just great fun and hugely entertaining.
Glad others had such a good time too - am very much hoping he will one day do another album!
I know what you mean incky, the music really gets inside you, I can still hear the the deep twang of the double bass in my head now! :))

@zany_zigzag on Twitter :)

“If you really want to be happy, all you have to do is say ‘I am beautiful’. So, I want you all tonight to go and look at the mirror and say ‘Stephen Fry is beautiful’. Good night.”

Clive

Posted Tue Jul 3rd, 2012 10:36am Post subject: Hugh Laurie Blues

It was such an amazing show, wasn't it? I loved the stage - the lamps and the curtain tassels! And his version of 'Mellow Down Easy' was just immense! I don't know why he's so modest about his musical ability - his piano playing is just incredible. And backed by that band...

I was actually listening to Dr. John a few weeks ago, and my Mam thought it was Hugh Laurie. Well, what she actually said is, 'Oh my God, that's not that bloody Hugh Laurie again, is it?' So naturally I said, 'No, that's Dr. John, one of the most renowned and respected and fabulous New Orleans Blues players and pianists in the world. But you just proved my point. Hugh Laurie is immense.'

When the next song came on, she said, 'So is this Dr. John, then?' I said, 'No, it's Professor Longhair.' She replied, 'My, they're all very academically qualified, these Blues players, aren't they?'

'Vote for E.L. Wisty, or invisible nudists will come along and smash you round the face.'

(E.L. Wisty)

My Attempt at Tumbling

Twitter: @CliveLive49