Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Clive

Posted Mon Jun 24th, 2013 5:15pm Post subject: Hugh Laurie & The CB Band in Gateshead

Oh, my God. Oh. My. God. Oh, my actual God. I saw Hugh Laurie and the Copperbottom Band perform last night at the Sage in Gateshead and it was AMAZEBALLS. I mean, in the sense of the giantest hugest immensest most wonderfully dangly amazing pair of soft gorgeous attractive warm amazeballs I've ever seen. I'm serious - I felt like I was twelve again and at Flamingo Land, I enjoyed it so much.*

I may have booked my tickets back in March on pre-sale, so we (me and my Mum, Dad and brother, whom I'd taken along to educate in The Wonder of Hugh) were in the second row in the very centre - like ten feet from the stage. Best seats I've had at any concert ever.

I'd deliberately refrained from reading any reviews or accounts of previous shows so that I could be surprised by the running order, and the minute he started singing 'Iko, Iko,' I just had a spasm of some sort of ecstasy. He's just a consummate musician and singer and a perfect, vivacious, warm entertainer. The whole band was fabulous. His trombonist blew me away (not literally, but nearly), and Gaby Moreno was such a beautiful singer and gorgeous in every way.

It was such a special occasion I wore my Dr. John hat (it's only a blue flat cap but it's exactly the same as the one Dr. John wore when I saw him perform at the same venue last year) and my Muddy Waters t-shirt that says 'I SPELL M-A-N, MANNISH BOY,' which had the happy side-effect of letting the bartender know that I was male in the interval. And AND and we ran into my Mum's friend, who it turns out is also a Hugh Laurie fan, and my Mum introduced me as 'her son' for the first time. Best night ever in the history of nights.

I also have a confession - I may want to run away with Sister Jean McClain to a small attic flat in New Orleans and have no furniture just make a nest of blankets in the middle of the floor and leave the window wide open so we can hear the street music from outside and just be there with her naked in the nest of blankets living off Bourbon and marshmallow fluff and slipping into and out of alternately gentle and torrid lovemaking.

Did I just write that out loud?

But yes, she was amazing. Such a voice and awesome stage presence. So funny, too.

I've never been round to a stage door after any concert, either, but I actually tentatively had a go at waiting to see if I could get his autograph, though chickened out after half an hour and went home - there were about twenty other people there and they actually had real things to sign and I just had this pathetic little flowery notebook of my Mum's and I thought he would think, 'Well, you've clearly not made the effort here. Look - on this page it says "get eggs and Low-Fat Baby Bells."'.

I don't know what happened, but halfway through the concert I was just overcome by this massive sense of gratitude to Hugh Laurie for introducing me to Blues music. Maybe it's a side-effect of the Testosterone therapy I've just started - overwhelming gratitude. But I just thought, if I hadn't bought his first album out of mild curiosity, I wouldn't have discovered this whole world of music that has, without being too dramatic, enriched my life a thousand fold. I mean, every day now, I listen to a Dr. John or a Sonny Boy Williamson song, or watch a video of Professor Longhair on YouTube - I bore my family with anecdotes about James Booker and my iPod is full of more Blues albums than I can count. It's become my main source of pleasure. Of course, I couldn't say this to him at the stage door for numerous reasons, so I thought I'd say it to you all on here.

You know it occurs to me that I keep posting on here and I'm just rambling and rambling and rambling like a nutcase - I used to do this on the Captain Janeway/Seven of Nine board but then I had a strange sort of Internet romance with one of the ladies who ran it and it ended with her ex-girlfriend threatening to tie me to some rail road tracks, so I can't really go back on there, now. We did meet in real life, this woman and I, and had a reasonably satisfying sexual relationship, but she tried to introduce clotted cream into the bedroom one night as a treat for my birthday and I'm lactose intolerant so it all went horribly wrong. Then the whole thing happened where I got on the wrong side of her ex-girlfriend and....

Incidentally, there's been a development in that situation at the bingo with the woman who keeps calling me 'She.' It turns out that she might not be transphobic after all. She may just be extremely confused. The other day she apparently asked if I was the father of another bingo caller's baby. So whatever she thinks I am, she seems to believe I have a functioning penis.

*Flamingo Land is a theme park in North Yorkshire that has rides and one of those dark thrilling rooms where you can watch creepy animatronic bears play instruments and actual flamingos and we once got a caravan there for a week - oh, it was lovely

'Vote for E.L. Wisty, or invisible nudists will come along and smash you round the face.'

(E.L. Wisty)

My Attempt at Tumbling

Twitter: @CliveLive49

Popeye

Posted Mon Jun 24th, 2013 10:40pm Post subject: Hugh Laurie & The CB Band in Gateshead

OMG Sounds like last night was soooooooo amazing - Well Jel! Glad you had such a great day in general.
♥ Fry & Laurie - Could you be more inspiring?! ♥

Everyday should be Fryday!
Soupy Twist!

gemini

Posted Sun Jun 30th, 2013 2:58pm Post subject: Hugh Laurie & The CB Band in Gateshead

Clive said:

You know it occurs to me that I keep posting on here and I'm just rambling and rambling and rambling like a nutcase -

Well, all I can say is "Ramble on!" I don't come here as much as I used to so I just stumbled upon your writing but I hugely enjoyed reading it. Really, you should write fiction or screenplays or anything. Plus you sound like an amazing person.

Oh btw, Hugh's music is something I like listening to as well, but in my case only on CD. But I'm happy for him and the audience that they all have such a great time during the concerts!

Clive

Posted Mon Jul 1st, 2013 10:51pm Post subject: Hugh Laurie & The CB Band in Gateshead

Popeye said:
OMG Sounds like last night was soooooooo amazing - Well Jel! Glad you had such a great day in general.
♥ Fry & Laurie - Could you be more inspiring?! ♥

Thanks Popeye! It was indeed a day 'made of awesome', as they say!

gemini said:
Well, all I can say is "Ramble on!" I don't come here as much as I used to so I just stumbled upon your writing but I hugely enjoyed reading it. Really, you should write fiction or screenplays or anything. Plus you sound like an amazing person.

Oh btw, Hugh's music is something I like listening to as well, but in my case only on CD. But I'm happy for him and the audience that they all have such a great time during the concerts!

Oh, my goodness, Gemini, you have made my day Thank you so much for your kind words I'm afraid I'm not amazing at all - I'm sad and silly and all sorts of other unfortunate words beginning with 's', but I'm thrilled and flattered that you enjoy my writing. It's encouraging as I am... oh dear, I probably shouldn't admit this, but I am (sort of - sort of, SORT OF) a writer... I mean, in as much as I've written lots of things, and a few of them have been published, and most of them haven't I keep trying, and paying the rent by calling bingo I'm working on a novel at the moment - my poor agent has been very generous and helpful and given me a lot of time and notes and guidance, particularly as she has far bigger clients than myself to tend to

Do you prefer Hugh's first album or his second? I think 'Let Them Talk' just edges ahead for me, but maybe that's because I think of it with such sickening fondness as it introduced me to Blues music, LOL!

'Vote for E.L. Wisty, or invisible nudists will come along and smash you round the face.'

(E.L. Wisty)

My Attempt at Tumbling

Teapot

Posted Wed Jul 3rd, 2013 1:04pm Post subject: Hugh Laurie & The CB Band in Gateshead

If this is about things Blue and Laurie I prefer 'Didn't it Rain' which I keep calling 'Let it Rain' thanks to the weather. The feet start to twitch and dancing round the house adds a minor fracture and endorphin high to an otherwise dull and unconvincing narrative. The track 'Let them Talk' is bookmarked for my wake in the vain hope anyone has anything to say. My T shirt is Seasick Steve - I started out with a whole load of nothing and I've still got most of it left. Sadly I haven't bought a ticket to see Hugh Laurie and the CBB. I bought the records.
I'd like to take Sista Jean McClain home for marshmallows with Hugh Laurie tied to the piano. He talks these days. I mean TALK. I recall the days when his partner did all the talking. One's eyes widen at the dexterity with which his partner juggles words with consummate ease and can entertain indefinitely.
The theme tune to Jeeves and Wooster is another toe tapping body twister to fall down the stairs to before snuggling up to the old better or for worser and enjoying every morsel of this series yet again.

Teapot

Posted Wed Jul 3rd, 2013 4:29pm Post subject: Hugh Laurie & The CB Band in Gateshead

I recall the days when his partner did all the talking. One's eyes widen at the dexterity with which his partner juggles words with consummate ease and can entertain indefinitely.

Professional partner/colleague/m'coll/friend/that bloke

Clive

Posted Wed Jul 3rd, 2013 5:43pm Post subject: Hugh Laurie & The CB Band in Gateshead

Lol, there's an awesome American chat show interview with Hugh Laurie somewhere in which he refers to Stephen Fry as his 'long-term partner,' and the host is like '?' and Hugh Laurie looks at him sternly and says, 'COMEDY partner,' and then there's much laughter

(E.L. Wisty)

My Attempt at Tumbling

Teapot

Posted Wed Jul 3rd, 2013 7:36pm Post subject: Hugh Laurie & The CB Band in Gateshead

And the Bluesman name? Lemon Laurie? The verbally dextrous here can do better. Something unbloggable comes to mind for Fry a word I've heard him say with delicious satisfaction. http://www.stephenfry.com/bb-content/plugins//bb-s.....wisted.gif