Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Jack

Posted Sat Apr 26th, 2008 6:52pm Post subject: Humphrey Lyttelton (1921-2008)
Humphrey Richard Adeane Lyttelton, jazz musician, writer and broadcaster, born May 23 1921; died April 25 2008.

"As we journey through life, discarding baggage along the way, we should keep an iron grip, to the very end, on the capacity for silliness. It preserves the soul from dessication."

moochy

Posted Sat Apr 26th, 2008 7:27pm Post subject: Humphrey Lyttelton (1921-2008)
R.I.P Humph.

Legend.

Gayalondiel

Posted Sun Apr 27th, 2008 10:43pm Post subject: Humphrey Lyttelton (1921-2008)
In my house, dinner is at 6.30pm. Practically, that's a little tricky to manage these days, but when I was growing up, dinner was at 6.30pm and it is now, as often as I can make it.

The reason that dinner is at 6.30 is because my parents, and subsequently my siblings and I, love to sit down together with supper and listen to the 6.30pm comedy on BBC Radio 4. Of all the comedies that we would listen to, I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue is my absolute favourite. As a musician it is with a slight blush that I confess that's how I remember Humphrey Lyttelton - not so much for his musical endeavours and for the wonderful Best of Jazz series, but for the bizarre, witty and oddly comforting antidote to panel games. I've literally been listening to it all my life - there are some songs that I cannot listen to with a straight face, because in my head I am hearing one song to the tune of another.

When I came out of hospital last September, I went back to my parent's house instead of my own. It was a Friday. Dad came and picked me up and tok me home, settled me down on the sofa, and went to cook dinner, and I remember sitting there not watching whatever was on the TV, but just shivering uncontrollably. Mum came home and 6.30pm came around, and as we sat down to dinner that familiar music came on the radio, and for the first time in many weeks, I felt, just a bit, that I was safe, that I was home, and that I was able to relax. It sounds daft now, since I never new the man, but Humphrey Lyttleton is, to me, the voice of home, and will always be so.

God bless.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Tue Apr 29th, 2008 4:36am Post subject: Humphrey Lyttelton (1921-2008)
Legend.

Maxx England

Posted Tue Apr 29th, 2008 11:01am Post subject: Humphrey Lyttelton (1921-2008)
Taken from the Big Road Blues site, an example of the way many of us feel. Although it has to be said, we are better off than everyone who never shared in his joy. I'll miss him, I still miss Alexis Korner. Jewels in the crown of humanity, the pair of them.

QUOTE:

Farewell Humph
by stumblin on Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:19 pm

Sad news yesterday. Jazz legend and "I'm Sorry, I haven't a Clue" host, Humphrey Lyttelton, referred to by Satchmo as “That cat in England who swings his ass off”, died from complications after surgery.
I'm a huge fan of Mornington Crescent, Swannee Kazoo, singing one song to the tune of another etc. I only hope the beeb can find a suitable new host for the show.
Stumblin' Andy K's solo stuff...
Blues From Sheffield
Blues Duo for Hire
stumblin

Private messageWebsite Top
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Re: Farewell Humph
by maxx england on Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:21 am

The world is an emptier place now. I expect a season of Humphness now of BBC2, R4, R7. Maybe even 3 hours of his "serious" work on 3.

I can't begin to express my sense of loss.

So I won't.

Never stop trying. Now where's the bar?
maxx england
Contributor

Private messageYIM Top
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
by grumpygroo on Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:09 am

Seriously sad news that. I used to frequent his club in Oxford Street in the 60s. Just about the only place in London you could hear good jazz and blues.

" Hello and welcome to I'm sorry I haven't a clue. You join us this week in Manchester, the fine metropolis boasting a wealth of culture and history. As the epicentre of the industrial revolution, it was here that a phrase was coined that has survived to this day. “ What happens in Manchester today, happens in the rest of the world tomorrow”. So if you're listening rest-of-the-world, tomorrow it's going to drizzle."
Life is not about the number of breaths you take, but the number of times your breath's taken away.
grumpygroo

Private message Top
by stumblin on Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:44 pm

Maybe there's scope for a collection of Humph's anecdotes about The Lovely Samantha's exploits e.g.
"Samantha is looking forward to going out for an ice cream with her Italian gentleman friend. She says she’s looking forward to licking the nuts off a large Neapolitan."
Stumblin' Andy K's solo stuff...
Blues From Sheffield
Blues Duo for Hire
stumblin

Private messageWebsite Top
by grumpygroo on Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:51 pm

Ah, the Lovely Samantha, what will happen to her now?

Record researcher Samantha has made one of her customary visits to the gramaphone library, where she runs errands for the kindly old archivists, such as nipping out to fetch their sandwiches. There favourite treat is cheese with homemade chutney, but they never object when she palms them off with relish.
Life is not about the number of breaths you take, but the number of times your breath's taken away.
grumpygroo

Private message Top

Display posts from previous: All posts1 day7 days2 weeks1 month3 months6 months1 year Sort by AuthorPost timeSubject AscendingDescending

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?

AxmxZ

Posted Wed Apr 30th, 2008 3:20am Post subject: Humphrey Lyttelton (1921-2008)
RIP Humph...

flookwit

Posted Wed Apr 30th, 2008 4:11am Post subject: Humphrey Lyttelton (1921-2008)
Humph......RIP. Yep, talented jazz musician, but for me it was his intro. to 'I'm sorry I haven't a clue', and that unfathomable (X-D) game 'Mornington Crescent' that I will miss most. There just isn't anyone to replace him, really.

His was one of those irreplaceable radio voices, like Alistair Cooke (Letter from America - Sundays 9am R4) and John Peel (Home Truths - Saturday am...was it 9 or 10 am?) and his wonderful FM World Service nocturnal pop/rock/jazz round-up).

Each time one of my favourite personalities dies, I feel time slipping away, way, way too fast................and I am running as fast as I can to stop it.

Pete

Posted Wed Apr 30th, 2008 9:02am Post subject: Humphrey Lyttelton (1921-2008)
Each time one of my favourite personalities dies, I feel time slipping away, way, way too fast................and I am running as fast as I can to stop it.
I know exactly what you mean Flookwit.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Fri May 2nd, 2008 7:00pm Post subject: Humphrey Lyttelton (1921-2008)
Better than I could put it, Flookwit. You do start to worry who'll be next. At least Humph had a superb innings and with that mind and that wit it seeems totally inappropriate to use phrases like "in his twilight years" or "in his dotage" as his greatest faculties were with him right up to the end.