Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Britannicus

Posted Tue Mar 4th, 2008 1:05am Post subject: I’m fine, thanks – oh, er, good-bye?
Message for the world! Ahem:

“How are you” is NOT A PROPER GREETING.

GRAAAAH.

Hello works just fine. So does hi, hey, yo, hiya, a simple nodding of the head, good mornin’, afternoon, evening, etc.

You may (foolishly) think that by replacing these time-tested phrases with “How are you?”, you’ll magically sound more considerate of others.

Unfortunately, you do not. In fact, it makes you out to be a bit of a moron.

Asking “How are you?” implies that you care about the person’s answer. Or, at the very least, that you’ll stick around to hear it! Unfortunately, all too often does the receiving party open their mouth to answer – only to find that the other person is already ten feet away with no indication of pausing for conversation!

‘Course, half the time people are lying when they answer this lovely question anyway…but still…THE OPPORTUNITY TO LIE IS GOLDEN IN COMPARISON TO BEING IGNORED.

AGGHHHHHHHH.

[End rant]

Thank you for your attention.

"Your room...it's CLEAN!!!"
"I prayed to God...and...it happened...but...where's my million dollars and horse!? Damn it!"

Red Raven

Posted Tue Mar 4th, 2008 1:14am Post subject: I’m fine, thanks – oh, er, good-bye?
Haha! Living in the South where manners are way to much, I have to agree.

You know what really throws me tho, is the English greeting you with, "alright?". Really it mean hello or something but I end up feeling like a goober cause I said, "yeah i'm good, you?" and they look at me like..well...I'm a goober.

I say, don't ask me how I am if you don't want to know, cause in all likelihood, I'll lie to yo ass anyway.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Tue Mar 4th, 2008 5:11am Post subject: I’m fine, thanks – oh, er, good-bye?
asking that and walking away is so mean!!

i can't get too upset if someone says it and i say "fine", whether we mean it or not, it's just what goes on, but walking off before someone answers? yuk.

it frustrates me that it's just a greeting because when i say it, i usually really want to know! now i have to ask five times or say it with some different stressing of the words... what do you think, "how ARE you?" "how are YOU?" "HOW are you?" would you still say "fine?"

Panja

Posted Tue Mar 4th, 2008 5:23am Post subject: I’m fine, thanks – oh, er, good-bye?
That bothers me at work every single day! I sit in the receptionist's office at a factory and so I'm constantly greeting people as they come in. There are so many people who say "how are you" and then just keep on walking by. It's frustrating because I never know if they actually want me to respond or not so I usually just kind of mumble some sort of awkward response and probably sound miserable to most. Then again, most days I probably am miserable, it sucks having to cheerily greet people when I know it's bed time in an hour.

masquerade

Posted Tue Mar 4th, 2008 7:42am Post subject: I’m fine, thanks – oh, er, good-bye?
This is something that irritates me a lot too; I always reply when someone says "how are you" because it's only polite to, but it's most embarrassing when people just walk away and don't expect you to reply. Therefore, any time someone asks me how I am, I tend to mumble something completely unintelligible, even when they aren't walking past, as an automatic reaction...

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Tue Mar 4th, 2008 7:55am Post subject: I’m fine, thanks – oh, er, good-bye?
I understand Red's point about "alright", which I use myself among English friends., but then I realised that as "alright" is usually replied to with the same word back at you, isn't it really an informal version of "How do you do?".

Think about it - anyone from anywhere at all in the English-speaking world would find it strange if the other person treated "How do you do?" as an actual enquiry.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Tue Mar 4th, 2008 8:11am Post subject: I’m fine, thanks – oh, er, good-bye?
I really hate the "how are you?" and "alright?" greetings. I always feel stupid when responding because I always say how I'm feeling and ask them back and some people do walk away when you start responding so I'm left thinking well what the fuck did you want me to say?!

Assuming direct control...

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Tue Mar 4th, 2008 8:21am Post subject: I’m fine, thanks – oh, er, good-bye?
Hey Amyl! Wazzup!

Gayalondiel

Posted Tue Mar 4th, 2008 9:57am Post subject: I’m fine, thanks – oh, er, good-bye?
{del}

st.bipolar

Posted Tue Mar 4th, 2008 11:34am Post subject: I’m fine, thanks – oh, er, good-bye?
and then theres the irish howya!

Red Raven

Posted Tue Mar 4th, 2008 12:45pm Post subject: I’m fine, thanks – oh, er, good-bye?
I understand Red's point about "alright", which I use myself among English friends., but then I realised that as "alright" is usually replied to with the same word back at you, isn't it really an informal version of "How do you do?".

Think about it - anyone from anywhere at all in the English-speaking world would find it strange if the other person treated "How do you do?" as an actual enquiry.

Well, I understand what it means and what type of response is expected now, but it still throws me off and it's really embarrassing that look they give me when I don't respond properly to it. It's kinda that same look people give a dog that runs into walls. "Poor stupid little thing".

It's just another example of how our(America and England) language is different. Sure we both call it English, but they can be so different in so many ways.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Tue Mar 4th, 2008 12:50pm Post subject: I’m fine, thanks – oh, er, good-bye?
Two nations divided by a common language and all that....

Sometimes I like to explain "y'all" to my students because for many European languages it makes perfect sense. After all, they have one word for the individual "you" and another for the plural "you", whereas in England we stopped using the old singular "thou" around the Reformation, with the exception of certain protestant sects who only use "thou" (to be as friendly as possible), people from Barnsley and the writers of fantasy literature/computer games.
Darth Vader makes a major error in The Empire Strikes Back by asking the Emperor "What is thy bidding, my master?". Lucas obviously thought "thou" has the right touch of fantasy and formality, but actually it was like he was treating the Emperor as an equal.

Red Raven

Posted Tue Mar 4th, 2008 1:00pm Post subject: I’m fine, thanks – oh, er, good-bye?
I rarely say y'all. It's too weird feeling.

st.bipolar

Posted Tue Mar 4th, 2008 1:44pm Post subject: I’m fine, thanks – oh, er, good-bye?
heres a few greetings around here

hows your father?
conas a ta tu?
i want you to play with my ding a ling!

Red Raven

Posted Tue Mar 4th, 2008 5:18pm Post subject: I’m fine, thanks – oh, er, good-bye?

i want you to play with my ding a ling!

Well how bout that for a little how's your father? X-D