Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

AxmxZ

Posted Sun Apr 22nd, 2007 4:57am Post subject: "I always want to do something else..."
I think I've just arrived at how to write my novel at top speed. Usually, when I sit down to write the damn thing, I just end up staring at my screen stupidly or else browsing my notes in hopes of getting inspired. But now I know that all I need to do to be productive with regards to my novel is keep taking on unrelated writing assignments. As soon as the deadlines for those assignments begin looming, novel material will pour out of me unprompted and demand immediate and full attention. Suddenly, there are scene settings, and there are incisive analyses, and compelling descriptions, and gripping dialogue, and I'm Thomas bloody Pynchon and Tom fucking Stoppard.

*sigh*

joan

Posted Sun Apr 22nd, 2007 5:52am Post subject: "I always want to do something else..."
That's just another manifestation of the fact that when you lose something important, you don't find it till you're looking for then next thing you've lost....by which time it's a bit too late.

AxmxZ

Posted Mon Apr 23rd, 2007 3:56am Post subject: "I always want to do something else..."
That's just another manifestation of the fact that when you lose something important, you don't find it till you're looking for then next thing you've lost....by which time it's a bit too late.

I'm glad you didn't say "it's always in the last place you look." That phrase irritates me to no end. (Of course it's always in the last place you look - why on earth would you go on looking after you find it?!?)