Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

najabat

Posted Mon Jul 6th, 2009 7:24am Post subject: I am new to the Forum
Hello all,

I have nothing particularly witty or news-worthy to say for now. This is my first post, and I am simply looking to get in touch with other members. (I am especially interested to hear from the members in UK.)

To make it a little more interesting, please feel free to answer these questions:

1. What do you think of Twitter (thus far)?
2. Have you had a chance to see Mr. Fry live (at an event, presentation, etc.)?
3. What is your favorite "Jeeves and Wooster" episode?

Disclaimer: I, myself, have an answer to only one of the three questions above. Can you guess which one?

Cheers.

Greengalipote

Posted Mon Jul 6th, 2009 10:58am Post subject: I am new to the Forum
I suppose the only one of the three questions you are bound to have an answer to is the second one (since it's a closed yes/no question). The other two you can answer ambiguously such as: "I don't know what to think of Twitter"
, or "I don't have a favourite episode, I love them all"

If you want to, there's a thread especially for people who have just arrived on the forum. I believe it's called the introduction thread. Welcome anyways, I hope you enjoy your time here!

ginj

Member *

Posted Mon Jul 6th, 2009 1:27pm Post subject: I am new to the Forum
I, too, would say that it has to be question #2, with a slightly different explanation. You cannot answer questions 1 & 3 because you have never experienced them, so can have no opinion about them.

Welcome to the forum. Oh, and to answer your questions; I like twitter very much, I haven't met Mr. Fry yet, and I don't think I have a favorite Jeeves & Wooster episode. So, have you met Mr. Fry in person?

Hope

Member *

Posted Mon Jul 6th, 2009 4:25pm Post subject: I am new to the Forum
Hullo! Welcome.

I really rather like twitter. It's a laugh. I met Mr. Fry once at a book signing. My legs turned to slush. Re: Jeeves and Wooster, the episode where Jeeves ends up on top of a wardrobe or any one in which he objects to an item of Bertie's clothing, or that of his friends, like the tie with the little horseshoes on.

4orty2

Posted Mon Jul 6th, 2009 9:45pm Post subject: I am new to the Forum
Hullo! Welcome.

I really rather like twitter. It's a laugh. I met Mr. Fry once at a book signing. My legs turned to slush. Re: Jeeves and Wooster, the episode where Jeeves ends up on top of a wardrobe or any one in which he objects to an item of Bertie's clothing, or that of his friends, like the tie with the little horseshoes on.

Ah yes! I love the way how Jeeves says it ... "Little horse shoes".

To answer your questions.

1. Twitter is fun.
2. Nooooooooooooooooo :'(
3. No favourite episode, just favourite moments ("Little horse shoes", Wooster playing the piano, Wooster in bathtub ...).

Oh ... and welcome to the forum!

BREAK.MY.FALL

Posted Mon Jul 6th, 2009 10:04pm Post subject: I am new to the Forum
Welcome to the forum! Hope you enjoy it here

To answer your questions:
I use twitter and I like it It's fun and absolute nonsense sometimes, which is just great
I have never met Stephen Fry, unfortunately.
And, I haven't seen all the Jeeves and Wooster episodes yet. Don't have any favourite episode, either. But I love that scene where Bertie managed it to carry that white jacket with him (which makes him look like a waiter). Jeeves' facial expression is just hilarious!!

exoskeleton

Posted Tue Jul 7th, 2009 12:37am Post subject: I am new to the Forum
as my location makes clear, I am not exactly the ideal respondent, but I still extend a warm welcome!
1) I like Twitter. Twitter is how I found out about Stephen actually, because if there is greatness out there you can bet I'll be slow to find it. I need it to be shoved at me in little snippets.
2) I have not met Stephen. no way I could that I can figure.
3) favorite Jeeves and Wooster episode? hmmm. I like lots of them, but on that stands out is the one where they came to America and they had to take care of that timid guy from the boat, and Jeeves had to go out on the town and research the night life in New York! X-D it gave Bertie an opportunity to not be the most problematic person on the scene!

sockdolager.

jarnex

Posted Tue Jul 7th, 2009 1:09am Post subject: I am new to the Forum
Hello zara_azari, I just signed up today. Twitter is just a darkening in the sky, it will soon pass. I have seen Mr Fry on a pavement somewhere in the USA, but I don't think he noticed me. I don't have a particular J&W favourite.

Laur1991

Posted Tue Jul 7th, 2009 5:34am Post subject: I am new to the Forum
Hello, Welcome! I think you'll find these forums to be comfy.

Ok, so here are your answers.

1) The whole Twitter phase somehow bypassed my part of the world, so no one I personally know has an account. I do though, but I have no followers and I look like a complete creeper because the only people I follow are celebrities.
2) Unfortunately no. It's my dream to though. (Although I don't know what I'd say).
3) Oh man I loved them all. Hehe but I still love that scene in the very first episode, where Jeeves cures Bertie's hangover.

najabat

Posted Tue Jul 7th, 2009 6:21am Post subject: I am new to the Forum
Thank you all for your answers! And to my fellow American Forum members-you're welcome to reply, too, of course.

Most of you guessed correctly: I can answer Question #2. While I haven't met Mr. Fry as such (after all, my question didn't imply "meeting him" 8)), I had a pleasure of seeing him at Seattle International Film Festival once. Years ago. He was there to present "Wilde" and he stayed for a Q&A. Since there were many many questions from the audience and since the answers were interesting and eloquent, we ran into the next screening. We pretty much had to be kicked out, to allow the next group of excited filmgoers their chance to enjoy a screening of "Wilde" and a Q&A with Mr. Fry.

To be fair, I can also answer Question #1 and #3:
1. I have been pleasantly surprised by Twitter, and I like it so far. I first learned about it through http://www.stephenfry.com and decided to sign up soon after. I thought to myself, "Surely, it can't be a complete waste of time, if Stephen Fry is doing it?..."
3. I don't have a favorite "J&W" episode simply because I love them all. But, I suppose, certain scenes and moments stand out. The episode (in Series #1, I believe) about dieting and the great Anatole is one. And, of course, Bertie's piano playing and singing is always irresistable.

Thanks again for welcoming me, and please feel free to respond.

IdeaCollector

Posted Tue Jul 7th, 2009 9:35am Post subject: I am new to the Forum
Hello and welcome.

1. I'm a fan, use it for book club, use it to keep in touch with friends, etc. It's much easier than updating my actual blog. XD

2. Never had the opportunity to meet him or even see him even though he filmed part of Stephen Fry in America in the town in which I used to live, while I lived there. If i had gone into town for Thanksgiving or the day before I may have seen him but alas.

3. So very many episodes...I do rather enjoy the hangover cure bit.

I used to be EternalStudent on these forums until the switch over. So don't get excited..I'm not someone new and exciting. I'm just me :P

Soph

Posted Tue Jul 7th, 2009 4:17pm Post subject: I am new to the Forum
Welcome. : ]

Firstly, I much prefer Twitter to other social networking sites. It's simplicity is its key, thiers no blaring music or dogdy pages. It's more like a community in the sense that you can speak to everyone instead of traipsing other peoples pages.

Secondly, sadly I haven't seen or met Stephen. Simply because I've never been given the chance, no matter how many times I've wished for it.

Thirdly, one of my particular favourite Jeeves and Wooster episodes is Kidnapped!, I think it's called. There are some amusing moments that really make me chortle. Such as when Bertie has got himself in a spot of trouble, blackens his face and sings Lady of Spain in order to hide amongst the Drones.

Photobucket

najabat

Posted Tue Jul 7th, 2009 5:09pm Post subject: I am new to the Forum

Welcome. : ]

Firstly, I much prefer Twitter to other social networking sites. It's simplicity is its key, thiers no blaring music or dogdy pages. It's more like a community in the sense that you can speak to everyone instead of traipsing other peoples pages.

Secondly, sadly I haven't seen or met Stephen. Simply because I've never been given the chance, no matter how many times I've wished for it.

Thirdly, one of my particular favourite Jeeves and Wooster episodes is Kidnapped!, I think it's called. There are some amusing moments that really make me chortle. Such as when Bertie has got himself in a spot of trouble, blackens his face and sings Lady of Spain in order to hide amongst the Drones.

That's exactly how I feel about Twitter. So, all is well (unless they start changing drastically down the line, which is a possibility...)

I remember this "J&W" episode, too.

And I love the quote in your "signature". Is this from one of Mr. Fry's books? (I must admit I haven't read all of them yet.)

Thanks.

Nitro

Posted Tue Jul 7th, 2009 10:01pm Post subject: I am new to the Forum
Hello from me, Nitro, and welcome to this forum.

1)I don't tweeter or twatter or however you say it. I come here and then go away. It's faster and easier for me.

2)Never met him and I think we're both probably cool with that. X-D

3) Don't have one because I've never seen it. I'll probably get around to checking some out on YouTube eventually. The show was sort of off the radar of many Americans I think, except perhaps those who consider themselves 'Anglophiles'. ( A word I thought always sounded slightly perverted X-D ).

Really? Wow.

andrealein

Posted Tue Jul 7th, 2009 10:44pm Post subject: I am new to the Forum
Welcome! I'll answer your questions too then...

1) I think Twitter's great. So far I haven't been following people or have been followed by any that I know in person. Okay, there's this one guy I know from school, but not good enough to actually care about his opinion. Plus, chances are few that I'll meet him in the next few years. But today someone who I really know sent me an invitation to Twitter (not knowing that I'm already there) and I started following her. I wonder if this is going to change my attitude.

2) No, never met him. Which is probably good because I would have made a fool of myself. And I haven't seen him live either.

3) I don't have an answer to that. I love them all.