Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

karen m

Posted Thu Apr 17th, 2008 8:26pm Post subject: i feel very guilty
my best friend has a lot of issues that she needs to deal with and we've known eachother forever but whenever she gets really low she texts me at work saying how bad it is and how depressed she feels but then i try and phone or text her to make sure she's ok but she either won't answer or texts me saying she doesn't want to talk. I get really worried about her because she's overdosed on pills and alcohol before and self harms so i get myself really wound up. She always comes into my work when she's at a low point and usually bursts into tears as soon as she gets to me. I'll always be there for her and won't just walk away when she comes in to see me because thats what friends are for but i've been through depression and selfharming in the past and i'm trying to get myself back on track but it seems as though she's never happy until she's unloaded all her problems onto me. Tonight I was having a bath when I got a phone call on my mobile, then i got a text message so i phoned her and talked things through with her and she said she would chat to me later, she called me 5 minutes later when i was still in the bath saying could she come over, the next thing i know she's at the door so i've jumped out and got ready quickly then as soon as she's seen me she started crying. I know all this sounds really selfish but this has been going on for over 21/2 years, like i said i will NEVER turn her away or not pick up her calls or message her back, nor will i tell her that it's really getting to me but it's more than i can handle sometimes because she also expects me to keep everything she tells me to myself
I feel like i'm selfish and a bad friend  

ysabella

Posted Thu Apr 17th, 2008 8:33pm Post subject: i feel very guilty
Seems like a natural reaction to me. It's hard propping someone else up all the time, on top of your own problems.

It sounds like you're doing the right thing, as much as you can. I think in some way, it'll come back to you, one day. Maybe not from her, but from someone.

karen m

Posted Thu Apr 17th, 2008 8:50pm Post subject: i feel very guilty
yep karma had better bloody well apply to me