Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Gertrude Susanne

Posted Tue Oct 23rd, 2007 1:31pm Post subject: I give up
Oh My God
Fortunately nobody was injured.
But to see ones livelihood burn to cinders must be harrowing. :'(
Heartfelt wishes that everything is soon back to normal.

AxmxZ

Posted Tue Oct 23rd, 2007 1:56pm Post subject: I give up
Hi Stephen,

Sorry that I did not get out to the airport to see you and the crew off. Everyone here in Eastport, America sincerely enjoyed your visit and we hope all of you return. I hope you see this because I have news about the Happy Crab. It burned the night of the day you all left. Jeff and Leslie are OK... but shaken. They were just minutes from being engulfed in flames. The fire was mostly in the kitchen... but so hot it melted the large TV screen that we all watched World-Cup Rugby on. They are living in the cottage at Motel East for the moment. The entire town was there yesterday to help rebuild.

All the best my friend, John Miller

Holy crap. Thank God everyone was okay!!

Chatter Box

Posted Tue Oct 23rd, 2007 8:50pm Post subject: I give up
Dear John

So sorry to hear about your terrible fire, I hope that things return to normal as swiftly as possible for you.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Tue Oct 23rd, 2007 11:24pm Post subject: I give up
Hi Stephen,

Sorry that I did not get out to the airport to see you and the crew off. Everyone here in Eastport, America sincerely enjoyed your visit and we hope all of you return. I hope you see this because I have news about the Happy Crab. It burned the night of the day you all left. Jeff and Leslie are OK... but shaken. They were just minutes from being engulfed in flames. The fire was mostly in the kitchen... but so hot it melted the large TV screen that we all watched World-Cup Rugby on. They are living in the cottage at Motel East for the moment. The entire town was there yesterday to help rebuild.

All the best my friend, John Miller

i hope he sees your message too... though i don't know if he checks here.
have you posted this on his blog? it seems he does check in with those.
i'm sure he'd want to know that everyone is ok.
best wishes to you all in Eastport...

Soupy Twist

Posted Wed Oct 24th, 2007 7:46am Post subject: I give up
Hi John, that's really terrible. Thank god nobody was injured. All the best! Banjo is right, maybe you should post this as a comment to his blog as well.

Gertrude Susanne

Posted Wed Oct 24th, 2007 8:05am Post subject: I give up
[quote="Soupy Twist"]I was able to read it without any hiccups and once more thoroughly enjoyed it. So many things to discuss and talk about. Lovely American Frymasons, keep your cameras ready to win that competition
[quote]

Eventually found the time to read the third entry As you said, Soupy: highly enjoyable to read and many things to discuss and talk about! I haven´t found the guts yet to leave a message on the blog, all I´d have to add has been voiced by a dozen others before...

But I admire Mr Fry for his candour - not many people would be willing to elaborate on their "weaknesses" on a blog for all to read. But I reckon that this is exactly what distinguishes him from most "slebs" who are all eager to come across as the perfect creatures (in your dreams, "dear slebs" )
He should be proud of himself for having quit smoking, AND also for cutting out the sugar from his diet (that must be difficult ) in order to keep control of his weight , I hope he´ll allow himself the odd piece of chocolate or whatever sweet he prefers to prevent any cravings - one should never be TOO harsh on oneself

MerryMary

Posted Wed Oct 24th, 2007 7:12pm Post subject: I give up
It's been a few days, and I still cannot access the blog. My ISP is Earthlink, and I am on Panther with Safari 1.3.2

I want more blog! Until then, I must find that Xanax which I stashed somewhere for emergencies!

Canzonett

Posted Thu Oct 25th, 2007 9:06am Post subject: I give up
Even my autumnal sneeziness was unable to penetrate into the darkest depths of the latest blog entry's sanctum and actually read it. Clicking on the link that supposedly expands the blessay to its full length only lead to lengthy loading procedures. The only enjoyable aspect about that was the self-referential twist resulting from the combination of blessay's heading and loading message: "I Give Up Loading ..."

Best wishes to John and everyone else in Eastport!

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Thu Oct 25th, 2007 9:39am Post subject: I give up
Merry Mary said: It's been a few days, and I still cannot access the blog. My ISP is Earthlink, and I am on Panther with Safari 1.3.2

Have you tried using a different browser? Sometimes Safari is slower than Firefox or Opera for me; I currently use Firefox 2.0.0.8 preferentially, although sometimes swap to the other two because they all seem to have idiosyncratic episodes of depression.

Also, what time of day are you trying to access it? Initially I had similar troubles accessing the latest blog post, but I am awake at odd hours so am able to try again at times when the rest of the country snores.

Hope you find a solution soon

Soupy Twist

Posted Thu Oct 25th, 2007 10:08am Post subject: I give up
Even my autumnal sneeziness was unable to penetrate into the darkest depths of the latest blog entry's sanctum and actually read it. Clicking on the link that supposedly expands the blessay to its full length only lead to lengthy loading procedures. The only enjoyable aspect about that was the self-referential twist resulting from the combination of blessay's heading and loading message: "I Give Up Loading ..."

Best wishes to John and everyone else in Eastport!

That's very odd, it takes both firefox and IE only seconds to load the blog. I don't have any helpful advice for you...

Gertrude Susanne

Posted Thu Oct 25th, 2007 11:01am Post subject: I give up
I have no problem reading then blog when I access it via the Mr Fry´s website and click on "I Give Up".

Accessing the blog directly via my bookmark induces my computer to do just that - Give Up

Lovely Jane

Posted Thu Oct 25th, 2007 11:50am Post subject: I give up
suggestion: maybe your browser doesn't like urls like: http://stephenfry.com/blog/index/?p=21

try: http://stephenfry.com/blog/index.php?p=21 instead

(though the same url-style is used in the forum, too )

Canzonett

Posted Thu Oct 25th, 2007 11:24pm Post subject: I give up
Lovely Jane, thou art lovely indeed. That link works perfectly well.

MerryMary

Posted Fri Oct 26th, 2007 1:27am Post subject: I give up
Merry Mary said: It's been a few days, and I still cannot access the blog. My ISP is Earthlink, and I am on Panther with Safari 1.3.2

Have you tried using a different browser? Sometimes Safari is slower than Firefox or Opera for me; I currently use Firefox 2.0.0.8 preferentially, although sometimes swap to the other two because they all seem to have idiosyncratic episodes of depression.

Also, what time of day are you trying to access it? Initially I had similar troubles accessing the latest blog post, but I am awake at odd hours so am able to try again at times when the rest of the country snores.

Hope you find a solution soon

Ah! My teenager is standing above me, shaking his finger as in "I told you so, Mum." I will try Foxfire. Safari is usually fast. Forget IE. The Evil Dark Lord's business cannot function beyond an agonising hobble on the Mac, at least with Panther.

I am in San Francisco, so up is down and night is day. I will try again when all of you are snuggly tucked in for the night.

Thank You!

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Fri Oct 26th, 2007 9:46am Post subject: I give up
Hey, Merry Mary, have you had any success?

If no, there is another way to read Stephen's blog. He has not used the feed-reader post amputation feature in WordPress to cut off his posts/blessays in readers such as Bloglines. Which is good............the actual blog posts may be truncated on his blog site, but you can read the whole using a feed reader.

Which means that if you subscribe to a feed reader such as Bloglines you can read the whole post in the 'Preview feed' option, just by hovering over afore-said 'Preview feed'. (I have no affliliation to Bloglines, I just prefer it to other readers).

If you need any help using this method, let me know. I can give you steps to follow through the PM feature rather than clogging this thread up......unless, of course, anyone else wants to know.