Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

nongenderous

Posted Thu May 22nd, 2008 11:00pm Post subject: I hate cancer (in lack of a better title)
Me and my family have an eleven year old flat coated retriever, and he's got cancer . I'm constantly worried about him and I can't stand the though of losing him. For the past nine years he's been my only friend. My friend died of lung cancer at the age of 16, and since then I've never really had anyone I would call a friend. I know some people, but I am really scared of letting anyone know me. And I don't easily trust other people. I've been bullied and the mental scars are still there, though I manage to hide them. I'll be the loneliest person in the world the day my dog dies. :'(

Help

Posted Thu May 22nd, 2008 11:51pm Post subject: I hate cancer (in lack of a better title)
Oh January, you're not alone.
I know technically we don't count as friends but i'm sure every single person here would go out of their way to make sure that you never feel like you're alone.
*hugs*

Panja

Posted Fri May 23rd, 2008 1:16am Post subject: I hate cancer (in lack of a better title)
I understand how you're feeling about your dog, my animals have always been my closest friends as I have trust issues with people as well. My one cat is 13 and really overweight and I've been worried for her for the last 5 years since her sister died for no reason. I can't even think about losing her because it terrifies me. Feel free to message me anytime if you want to chat, you're definitely not alone

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Fri May 23rd, 2008 1:38pm Post subject: I hate cancer (in lack of a better title)
i'm sorry january! about your friend and your dog. how sad to lose a friend so young!

when i was in jr high and high school i had a border collie that was my best friend...and i didn't really hang out with any of the other kids. so i get how your dog is so important.

i hope you can make some friends here! it's a good place to.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Fri May 23rd, 2008 8:45pm Post subject: I hate cancer (in lack of a better title)
This thread should be called "What the fuck is happening to all the FryForum dogs?". Those of you on Facebook will know this is a terrible time for quite a lot of our dog owners.

Occy

Posted Sat May 24th, 2008 12:16am Post subject: I hate cancer (in lack of a better title)
we have facebook??

Cancer is a bitch of a thing and is very common in older dogs.

I lost my last boy to haemangiosarcoma which is a horrible and insidious cancer that shows up just before death quite often - I had 2 weeks after diagnosis

The girl coming in today has mammary tumors as well as a few other things going on so we shall see how she goes

nongenderous

Posted Sat May 24th, 2008 12:38am Post subject: I hate cancer (in lack of a better title)
Thanks for your care and support. Losing the only one I'd ever considered a friend was really terrible. I watched her dead body twice before the funeral. I had no support and no help. No one to talk to. At that time I was in rather horrible state of mind. I was suffering from some sort of depression (the "clever" psychologists/ psychiatrists never managed to give me a real diagnosis), and at that time everything in my life was awful. I'd been bullied in school for several years and lost my childhood friend. I became an actress in everyday life, because I had to hide my emotions at school. At home I was usually crying and writing and listening to music, read books and watch videos. I got angry for nothing and my parents and my sister ended up feeling my aggression in extreme. I got help at some time during high school, but I'm not impressed by the psychiatrists and their diagnosis. Some old guy diagnosed lots of patients with the ever so popular ADHD, but some how they found out. I am no longer dependent on meds (except the ones for Hypothyroidism) and I manage to live as everyone else. I had a year off after high school to get rid of my OCD, because that was the main problem which kept me away from the society and made it difficult to function in every social situation (I thought everyone and everything was dirty). I've now got a Bachelor degree in contemporary history and have just completed a one year study of international conflicts and humanitarian rights (that's as close to the name in Norwegian I can manage at almost 3 AM).

It's been about a month since he was diagnosed with cancer in the throat (I don't know the medical term), but he's still eating a lot and is always hungry. When he got the diagnosis the veterinarian said it was a good sign that he was gaining weight, and at that time he'd gained a couple of kilos since the last time he was at the veterinarian. When I'm away from him I always worry about him (as I am now. I had my last [oral] exam today), but it's a little bit "easier" when I'm at home and can take care of him and observe his condition. I really can't stand the horrible thought of losing him.

Maren

Posted Sun May 25th, 2008 4:05pm Post subject: I hate cancer (in lack of a better title)
very sad what you have experienced.
And I can understand very well that you're worried about your dog. When we lost our first dog I was very depressed and said, that I never want a another dog. But after a few months I felt that the house was so empty without a dog .. and we got our second dog from an animal shelter.
Now he's old an sick too, it's very hard to see him suffer and to think about the time he will be gone. But though I know I will miss him as much as I still miss our first dog, I also know that there are so many lonely dogs desperately waiting for a friend that i'll never be without a "dog-friend".
That's no comfort to your because a dog can't be substiuted - but perhaps you can think that you'll find another friend too sometime.

IdeaCollector

Posted Sun May 25th, 2008 6:13pm Post subject: I hate cancer (in lack of a better title)
it is hard to lose a pet especially knowing they are ill.

However, I hate cancer for different reasons...the loss of some great people, my own close encounters with my health, etc.

I used to be EternalStudent on these forums until the switch over. So don't get excited..I'm not someone new and exciting. I'm just me :P