Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

CollectorManiac

Posted Wed Feb 6th, 2008 5:06pm Post subject: I have had it upto here ^ with the BNP
yes I fooloshly agreed to write a radio script about the BNP, t's history, ideology and current state of crisis [thank god ahaha]
this wa a bad idea, cos I've just ended up very very annoyed
it's so hard not to be biased
all in all I'm utterly frustrated with their ridiculous views and pathetic attempts to justify them
it's so hard to present a balanced view when they're arguments are so feeble
darnit!
HOPE NOT HATE (Y)
Anti-Fascist Fortnight-30th March->15th April
roll on my friends roll on

masquerade

Posted Wed Feb 6th, 2008 8:09pm Post subject: I have had it upto here ^ with the BNP
I shall be celebrating that too, Tango; I have to write an essay for my French coursework on the "Front National" - the ridiculously popular French fascist party. They make me really angry!!!!!

CollectorManiac

Posted Wed Feb 6th, 2008 10:00pm Post subject: I have had it upto here ^ with the BNP
oh god yeah I've read some stuff about them in the past, all these ruddy fascists!
but in the words of woodie guthrie
"all you fascists are bound to lose"
and seeing as guthrie also had a sticker on his guitar saying that 'this machine kills fascists' I've chosen to reward myself with tickets to see billy bragg once he's finished the Hope Not Hate tour (Y)
I just don't understand anymore how people can be like that, how people can be so unkind and unfair, and how you can be so against a multicultural society or any other prejudice, I just don't get it

joan

Posted Thu Feb 7th, 2008 6:31am Post subject: I have had it upto here ^ with the BNP
We had to fight something like the BNP and FN here in Australia 11 years ago, called the One Nation Party. It was founded by a spectacularly ignorant woman, who particularly objected to Asians, but also disliked Aborigines. She became the MP for MY area..... I was horrified that 1 in 2 of my neighbours must have voted for her!

Then she made her maiden speech - it was disgusting, but I knew I'd read something like it before. Eventually I remembered - years earlier I'd lived in Vienna for a while and had encountered some residual anti-semitism. In an attempt to understand how Nazism came about, I'd read Hitler's Mein Kampf. Such a load of badly written unmitigated Dreck was almost impossible to read, and certainly didn't help me understand anything, except that racism is impossible to justify, but that will never bother racists.

Anyway, I found 10 things in her maiden speech that matched Hitler's utterences!! I sent my findings to the Australia-Israel review, and our State daily newspaper, and they both published it. Not long afterwards my letter box was set fire to - I felt quite relieved really: two other prominent anti Hanson campaigners had their house set alight, one burnt to the ground.

It's all fizzled now - three attempts to get back into parliament have failed, and the woman is selling Real Estate these days. The anti-racism committee we formed to fight her did the job.

And, for the icing on the cake, we have new government, and a multilingual PM who loathes racism.

CollectorManiac

Posted Thu Feb 7th, 2008 6:50pm Post subject: I have had it upto here ^ with the BNP
I tell you they're everywhere =/
but see that's a good story because it just proves that good prevails in the end, mostly, I just wish the BNP would blow itself out, but unfortunately this crisis that was promising such a thing seems to be loosing momentum =/
but thankfully they are yet to gain a seat above council level, here's hoping it stays that way, although 42 councillors is a bit worrying

joan

Posted Thu Feb 7th, 2008 8:54pm Post subject: I have had it upto here ^ with the BNP
In 1998 we had 11 State MPs from One Nation Party. They proved themselves to be a complete waste of space. One of them physically attacked a lovely kind MP of Greek origin, outside parliament!.

There are none now - all that's left is the memory of a bad smell.

CollectorManiac

Posted Thu Feb 7th, 2008 10:13pm Post subject: I have had it upto here ^ with the BNP
jeesh! that's not good, not good at all
see atleast the BNP, for the moment anyway, are trying to appear a little more moderate than there old image as the 'New National Front', so are playing it low, unfortunately too many people falfor it =/

joan

Posted Thu Feb 7th, 2008 11:43pm Post subject: I have had it upto here ^ with the BNP
Well, if you want to fight them, what we found with ONP was that there was far more that they DIDN'T do that you could attack them on.

Politicians at all levels are supposed to be there for their electorate, and sort out problems placed with them by consituents. For this they need knowledge, competance, a sense of responsibily, good staff, and contacts. They had none of this, though almost all other MPs, whatever we might think of their parliamentary performance, handle the nitty gritty quite well..

For instance, while Hanson was our Fed MP, if we had a problem with, say, social security which we'd normally take to our MP, we couldn't, because there was simply no-one in her electoral office competant to handle it . We had to go to our Senator instead - a bit like taking it to your rep in the House of Lords.

Of course, the Labour party used this to attack Hanson, quite rightly so.

tta90

Posted Fri Feb 8th, 2008 10:53am Post subject: I have had it upto here ^ with the BNP
I understand the frustration of you all. I can't stand racism at all. Generally in New Zealand we have pretty good race relations between Maori and Pakeha (white New Zealanders) because most people have both Maori and Pakeha ancestry (except with the completely stupid anti-terrorism laws they passed a number of months ago). Most racism is against Asians nowadays more than anyone else. Which makes me very sad since we often have Asian exchange students staying at our house who come here to learn English.

Once when we had a 23 year old Korean guy who staying with us who had really good English, had done his military service in the South Korean army and was a really cool guy in general, always polite and helpful. Yet one day when he was cycling back to our place from the English Language Academy and at the traffic lights someone rolled down the window of their car (which had stopped next to his bike) and spat in his face. Whoever it was is very lucky they didn't get broken in two because he easily could have smashed them I'm sure, but he was too nice a person to do that. Instead he came home quite angry and told us what had happened.

I don't mean to offend any Australians but my history teacher said that Australia is a very racist place. One thing she said was that many Australians consider Aborigines stupid because they choose to follow their traditional way of life without Western technology. 2 of the Maori girls in my history class said that they'd felt out of place in Perth, and that a lot of people gave them odd looks. My history teacher replied by saying "Yeah, that sounds right. They were probably trying to figure out whether you were Aborigine, Asian or whatever so they could catagorise you." It's not that she was saying all Australians are racist, we all know that's not true, but it surprises me that there are these prejudices in so many Australians.

There is nothing to justify racism, and it makes my blood boil just hearing racists speak about their perverted views on the human race and knowing that I'm living on the same planet as they are. The fact that I am the same species as these wretched individuals scares me.

joan

Posted Fri Feb 8th, 2008 12:00pm Post subject: I have had it upto here ^ with the BNP
The problem with racists is that they really dont seem to believe we are all the same species!!

I've encountered 'anti-Pom' in both NZ and here in Australia: it just means I found out who the rubbish people are sooner rather than later, because there is no such thing as a nice racist.

I was once refused a job in Auckland because, quote "You are English and won't be able to pronounce the Maori names" I pointed out I was tri-lingual and that Maori was a phonetically logical language which I had started to learn, but that just made her angry!!

it must be awful for Asians and others who are identified by skin colour too - at least with me I have to open my mouth before they know I'm not quite acceptable!!

We just have to refuse to accept racism, and fight back at racist organisatiions, but without beeing too sensitive - sometimes people take offence when none is meant.

CollectorManiac

Posted Fri Feb 8th, 2008 3:43pm Post subject: I have had it upto here ^ with the BNP
we just have to fight against it, it just enfuriates me it really does, all these prejudices really
argh
Mark Collett [a high ranking BNP member] came out with this quote not thatlong ago which I think does quite a nice job of demonstrating why I hate these guys so much
"Aids is a friendly disease because blacks, drug users and gays have it"
=@
and apparently these people are intelligent, and try to become 'more moderate'
=|
roll on march, hope not hate protests (Y)
even their feeble attempts to justify what they say just don't make sense
they claim that they're not racist, on the bas that there are groups to represent EMGs in this country, which is just like saying 'well he started it', yeah very mature
and the simple fact that they use Operation Black Vote as an example really does highlight how wrong they are, this is a campaign to get black people to vote, simply because it isn't democratic that such a huge proportion of our population isn't hve a say, now simlar things occur to encourage young people to vote, that isn't 'agist' ffs
anyway I'm rambling
*stops*

tta90

Posted Fri Feb 8th, 2008 9:58pm Post subject: I have had it upto here ^ with the BNP
Yeah we have to fight it. But the problem is when they see opposition as proof that they are speaking an unwanted truth, if you get what I mean. Like the Westboro Baptist Church. There's no real way to convince the completely pig headed racists that they're wrong. And what's more stupid is that they often get more airtime and make better news stories.

I'm glad that we don't have such extremist racist politicians (or at least none that I've encountered yet) although there was one incident last year when there were all these stupid leaflets that someone put in letterboxes around the city rambling on about "Arise White New Zealand" and with a swastika on the front. But I think it was just some pathetic high school students who thought it would be funny, rather than a serious racist politician.

The problem with racists is that they really dont seem to believe we are all the same species!!

I've encountered 'anti-Pom' in both NZ and here in Australia: it just means I found out who the rubbish people are sooner rather than later, because there is no such thing as a nice racist.

I was once refused a job in Auckland because, quote "You are English and won't be able to pronounce the Maori names" I pointed out I was tri-lingual and that Maori was a phonetically logical language which I had started to learn, but that just made her angry!!

it must be awful for Asians and others who are identified by skin colour too - at least with me I have to open my mouth before they know I'm not quite acceptable!!

We just have to refuse to accept racism, and fight back at racist organisatiions, but without beeing too sensitive - sometimes people take offence when none is meant.

I am really surprised to hear that you were refused a job because they didn't think you would be able to pronounce the Maori names. Most Pakeha (including my parents) mis-pronounce Maori names so I don't get why they would be able to ever use that as a reason to deny you work.

I've never really seen any real prejudice against the English personally, and my the English immigrants I know have never complained about prejudice. Well, except for one, but it was her fault. She came here at the start of last year and went to my school. Yet she always complained about how stupid New Zealand was, and how England was so much better than this place. And that living here was like "living in Planet of the Apes". So as you can imagine, she made no friends, a few people (including myself) tried being nice to her, and at least always remaining polite but even I lost my temper when she started ranting about how New Zealanders are all arrogant, lazy and stupid.

But of course I have never used this as a basis to judge other English people. Since the only thing that makes us Kiwi, Aussie, English, Chinese etc. is which lump of dirt we were born over. So how can anyone ever claim that someone is better than another nationality just because they were born on some dirt which they deem more important than the dirt of the other person. I'm proud to be a New Zealander but that doesn't mean I consider myself better than anyone else, even if the Australians claim they invented pavlova

Sorry for the long rant, being 17 means I can't really do anything about racism no matter how much I want to.

Crazy_in_a_box

Posted Fri Feb 8th, 2008 10:38pm Post subject: I have had it upto here ^ with the BNP
Sorry for the long rant, being 17 means I can't really do anything about racism no matter how much I want to.

Nothing in this world will change unless the first step is made... if you personally live by your anti-racisit beliefs then you will make a difference. even if its just to one person.... because to you its one person but to them its hope that the world is a just place. all it takes is one person to be racist to you for you to be affected. all it takes is one person to stand up to it for you to feel accepted as the true person you are.

tta90

Posted Sat Feb 9th, 2008 8:44am Post subject: I have had it upto here ^ with the BNP

Nothing in this world will change unless the first step is made... if you personally live by your anti-racisit beliefs then you will make a difference. even if its just to one person.... because to you its one person but to them its hope that the world is a just place. all it takes is one person to be racist to you for you to be affected. all it takes is one person to stand up to it for you to feel accepted as the true person you are.

Thanks, those are wise words. And yes I do live by my beliefs, I find the huge diversity of the world a great thing. I love learning little bits of different languages from foreigners and finding out about their countries. I hope to travel the globe visiting everywhere from France to Mongolia to Tunisia to Argentina to Nepal (especially Nepal thanks to Sir Ed (May he rest in peace :'()) etc.

I'd go anywhere no matter how remote or poor it may be. Because there's great peoples and cultures everywhere (completely unrelated but I feel I should say that I'm against religious missionary charities who use their aid to convert the local people to their religion, I believe foreign aid should be secular rather than used as an incentive to convince native peoples to change their beliefs, sorry for any offense caused but I think that if everyone in the world were to be "converted" into westerners it wouldn't be a good thing). I've been thinking that maybe I'll sign up for Volunteer Service Abroad after I get back from Europe.

Sorry for dragging this discussion way off topic.

Shyamz

Posted Sun Feb 17th, 2008 2:55pm Post subject: I have had it upto here ^ with the BNP
I agree.

If you guys haven't already seen it, I can highly recommend the film "This Is England".

As well as been one of the few truly excellent films set in the 1980's, it shows just what lengths the far right would go to to recruit members for their hideous groups. Picking out the poor and vunerable youth in their community, and taking advantage of them, under the guise of Skinheads (who were originaly just groups of black AND white kids who hung out together and loved Ska and Reggae).

It's deeply sad to watch, but brilliantly made.