Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Fri Aug 21st, 2009 11:30am Post subject: I just don't get it...

anyway whatever - going back to the other part of Fryland

IdeaCollector

Posted Sat Aug 22nd, 2009 5:09am Post subject: I just don't get it...

Tis ok Dormouse...I'm in the U.S. things go differently cross the pond.

Although I fear the calling people gay meaning they are dumb is universal. Alas.

I used to be EternalStudent on these forums until the switch over. So don't get excited..I'm not someone new and exciting. I'm just me :P

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sat Aug 22nd, 2009 7:27pm Post subject: I just don't get it...

I come over there and have good time yeah ... Chevrolets and black tops and deeper cultural threads and strands theat make the place so alluring from here in Cheltenham.

My friend said after he went there whebn we were school boys "It is a place where there is enough space for anybody to do anything" and that and Jefferson Airplane and the '62 Corvette Stingray Coupe - not the 'roadster' - have made me hungry to go there ever since. May have the chance to go to Colorado in the next year or so.

i am relly grumpy lately so really sorry. i always regret upsetting perfectly nice people

Christamouse

Nitro

Posted Mon Aug 24th, 2009 9:25pm Post subject: I just don't get it...

Dormouse, Colorado is SO beautiful! Although Denver is a bit bland...But Boulder, a nice sort of 'university' town is very pretty. If you enjoy snow sports, Winter time will really blow your hair back! In Spring, there is beautiful hiking to be had and various other outdoor activities.

If you get the chance - GO! Life is too short not to take an opportunity when it comes your way

Really? Wow.

marzgirl

Posted Wed Sep 23rd, 2009 6:29am Post subject: I just don't get it...

Ah, I am from Colorado Springs... Love it! Miss it!!! Anyway...Two random acts of un-kindness today. Driving to a doctors appt. I saw a kid shove another kid into a bush. Then when I got to my son's school tennis match I was told about one teammate throwing tennis balls at another, one of them hitting her in the eye! When the grandparent of another confronted her about it she refused to apologize. The grandparent informed the coach and even after he talked to her she still refused to apologize! She was asked to call her ride to come pick her up. She left in tears, but still would not apologize! I just dont understand, but I think it starts early. The kind of intolerence and unkindness people have mentioned, starts now and earlier. If no one ever does anything about it, then they just grow up like this I guess. I don't know...............We arrived at the match late cause my son had an appt. but I brought some snacks and drinks for the kids after the match and the girl that got hit was so appreciative and told me how nice I was. Perhaps my randon act of kindness helped to negate the random act of unkindness shown to her earlier. I hope.
I hope I did not digress from the topic intended since it started with a gay issue, but I think unkindness and intolerance, regardless of who it is directed towards....."I just don't get it......"

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
~Martin Luther King Jr.~

Nitro

Posted Wed Sep 23rd, 2009 11:13pm Post subject: I just don't get it...

I dunno...I believe everyone is intolerant of someone. Some intolerance is 'good'. Like, being intolerant of the behavior of ill-tempered children Or being intolerant of the intolerant?

I'm mightily intolerant of people sometimes. Like those who are rude or unecessarily caustic to people trying to do a service for them. Like people who have a domestic animal (pet) euthanized simply because they don't want the responsibility anymore. Or people who abuse patients, like the elderly, disabled, or otherwise physically vunerable to attack. I don't mind saying I'm intolerant of that. OTOH, I wonder what influences are in their lives to drive them towards that behavior. I waffle between judgement and compassion all the time...

Really? Wow.

MichelleAbrahmz

Posted Thu Sep 24th, 2009 2:22pm Post subject: I just don't get it...

Its the same round the other side of the world. In Australia, 'gay' has suddenly come to mean something is pathetic/stupid/bad. I think its just a case of teenagers doing whatever they can to annoy the adults.

michael

Posted Thu Sep 24th, 2009 3:20pm Post subject: I just don't get it...

Sage said:
Its the same round the other side of the world. In Australia, 'gay' has suddenly come to mean something is pathetic/stupid/bad. I think its just a case of teenagers doing whatever they can to annoy the adults.

yes that's the language in the U.S. too

however, it's not just teenagers trying to annoy adults... otherwise gay kids wouldn't be getting beat up and kids wouldn't be hanging themselves because of other kids calling them "gay".

that's a bit more than annoying mom & dad.

"HELLO I'M TACTILE !" is an anagram of my name

marzgirl

Posted Thu Sep 24th, 2009 3:26pm Post subject: I just don't get it...

I agree Nitro. There are things we should be intolerant of. I try take the side of compassion initially at least, cause you just don't know. To the by stander in the grocery store someone such as yourself might think my child is "ill tempered", when in fact he is bipolar. I have also had those that thought it was my poor parenting. But I have learned that sometimes I need to jump on behaviors right away, nip them in the bud and other times I need to walk away and give him space. There was a little girl about a week ago throwing a tantrum because her dad told her she could not have another hotdog, she already had two. She walked up ang grabbed another and put it in her mouth anyway. The dad just kind of threw his arms up and did nothing and in my self riteous mind, thought oh no no no! He cant let her get away with that! Well come to find out they had just adopted her from Africa. So obviously they were dealing with issues I could not possibly understand. I think in situations Nitro mentioned for sure we have a responsibility to step up and do something if we see something like that going on. I used to work in nursing homes and hospitals and I reported certain things several times. But in other cases like I just mentioned it might be best to give the benifit of the doubt initially and if you are in the position to, offer to help. If not a simple encouraging smile can make someones day.
Ok, enough cheesiness...............LOL!!

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
~Martin Luther King Jr.~

marzgirl

Posted Thu Sep 24th, 2009 3:34pm Post subject: I just don't get it...

Ugh! Michael, that just breaks my heart!!! Seriously! How would they like it if their first name was the new "gay" or "stupid". Like, that is so "john". You are so "Rachel". I would hope in most cases they dont intend for that person to go home and hang themselves because of their cruel words. I really hope that is not their intent. Shameful and sad. My son gets called gay or fag on a daily bases. We have talked about it, and it is not the words that hurt his feelings, it is the intent behind the words that do. He understands there is nothing wrong with being gay. In our belief God made gay people and to make fun of gay people is to make fun of God's work. But again, although my son understands that, the intent of the kids saying it is what hurts.

~Martin Luther King Jr.~