Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Mushroomoid Miss

Posted Tue Feb 10th, 2009 6:33pm Post subject: I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
I just finished reading this for my English Literature GCSE, and I think that, once again, I'm the only person in my class who enjoyed it. I thought it was really good. Has anyone else read it? What did you think?

I've rather misunderstood Burt and his bat sperm.

PamJH

Posted Sat Feb 14th, 2009 6:40am Post subject: I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Would you recommend it for a 15-year-old? My daughter is studying modern history this year and I add literature appropriate to the times.

Mushroomoid Miss

Posted Sat Feb 14th, 2009 7:18pm Post subject: I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
I thought it was brilliant, but as I said, I was the only one out of about 30. It's a really well documented account of Maya Angelou's life and it covers some 'hard hitting' issues. So, yeah, I think I would recommend it.

I've rather misunderstood Burt and his bat sperm.

PamJH

Posted Sat Feb 14th, 2009 10:17pm Post subject: I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
I thought it was brilliant, but as I said, I was the only one out of about 30. It's a really well documented account of Maya Angelou's life and it covers some 'hard hitting' issues. So, yeah, I think I would recommend it.

Good enough. She'll be reading it.

Shyamz

Posted Mon Feb 23rd, 2009 6:36pm Post subject: I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
I read it ages ago (I was about 17 I think) and I liked it.

As for PamJH's request, how about To Kill A Mockingbird? which covers themes still relevant today.

There's a book I love called The Good Women Of China, by Xinran.
She hosted a radio phone in show (called Words on the Night Breeze) in China, when all forms of broadcasting were highly regulated (and still are I suppose).
She invited women to call in and tell their stories of life as a woman in China, and their personal experiences.

Despite the difficulties she encountered in putting on such a programme, the show became a huge success, as women from all over the country began calling in and sharing their stories with the World for the first time.
In the book she describes how the show began, some of the stories she heard and how the women came to share them with her.

Excellent.

PamJH

Posted Mon Feb 23rd, 2009 9:51pm Post subject: I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
I read it ages ago (I was about 17 I think) and I liked it.

As for PamJH's request, how about To Kill A Mockingbird? which covers themes still relevant today.

Oh, yes. She'll be reading that sometime in April. Right now she's reading "Grapes of Wrath" and studying the 1930s. It's taken us a while to get to this decade. There were so many good books to read about the 1910s and 1920s. She just finished "All Quiet on the Western Front" and was inspired to write her own story about war. I haven't seen it yet, but her brother said it's good.

We homeschool so I'm always eager to hear about good books for my kids. Thanks for your other suggestion, too.