Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Lauz

Posted Sat Aug 30th, 2008 6:56pm Post subject: I need some gift help
Hi all!

My friend is off to university this coming October and it's her birthday on Saturday. We have a tradition of getting each other gifts that are half a joke but can also be useful. Seeing as she is going to uni i was hoping to put together a small university survival kit. Since i have no experience with uni i was hoping if you guys could give me some ideas for things to include.

Thanks in advance.

Soupy Twist

Posted Sat Aug 30th, 2008 7:23pm Post subject: I need some gift help
nice idea!
you could include bog standard school stuff like pencils, pens, rubber, pencil sharpener, ruler etc. Then maybe cereal bars, a can of Red Bull, beer, canned soup, chocolate, pasta. In Germany we call a trail mix "student's food" (Studentenfutter), so this might be a good idea, too. I'd also include something personal, maybe a photo or something like that. Rumour has it that students are especially fond of partying, that's why you could also give her a few aspirin to nurse her hangovers.

TobiasMonk

Posted Sat Aug 30th, 2008 7:32pm Post subject: I need some gift help
Yup, Red Bull and condoms

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

Soupy Twist

Posted Sat Aug 30th, 2008 7:53pm Post subject: I need some gift help

ClareBear

Posted Sat Aug 30th, 2008 8:08pm Post subject: I need some gift help
Don't forget the Pro Plus!

amyl_nitrate

Posted Sun Aug 31st, 2008 1:56pm Post subject: I need some gift help
You could give her something to put up on her wall to brighten the place up a bit. Rooms in student halls can be a bit dull looking and need to be personalised a bit. You could get her something special and meaningful or personalised or something funny.

Assuming direct control...

Lauz

Posted Sun Aug 31st, 2008 3:23pm Post subject: I need some gift help
Thanks for the replies. I like the food and aspirin suggestion, those are going in. I now have to think of a way to decorate the box, trust me not to be creative in the slightest way.

joan

Posted Mon Sep 1st, 2008 1:06pm Post subject: I need some gift help
Wrap it in a giant spotted handkerchief, for when she needs a good cry 'cos she misses her friends....

Lauz

Posted Mon Sep 1st, 2008 5:30pm Post subject: I need some gift help
Aww i hope she doesn't miss us that much. She will only be a two hour drive away so it's not too bad, her partner on the other hand is a few more hours away.

Sidthespid

Posted Thu Sep 4th, 2008 11:17am Post subject: I need some gift help
You could write or print out inspiring quotes about studying (and if poss, the subject she's reading) and stick them all over the box. My home is dotted with such things. I love quotes.

“I always wanted to be somebody. I see now I should have been more specific.” (Lily Tomlin )

"To err is human, but when the eraser wears out ahead of the
pencil, you're overdoing it." (Josh Jenkins)

"I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once." (Jennifer Yane)

“It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong”. (Voltaire)

Oh crikey, look where I'm off to now. Tangent central. Once I start quoting, I just can't stop.

I stopped fighting my inner demons, we're on the same side now (unknown)

heeeeeelp I'm drowing in a sea of other folk's talent!

Good luck with the prezzie and I hope she really likes it. Friends that thoughtful are rare.

acidcat

Posted Thu Sep 4th, 2008 11:41pm Post subject: I need some gift help
How about decorating the box with photos of her and you and all her friends?

amyl_nitrate

Posted Fri Sep 5th, 2008 12:08pm Post subject: I need some gift help
How about decorating the box with photos of her and you and all her friends?

I like this. The personal touch will make it all the more special and unique Lauz.

Assuming direct control...

Lauz

Posted Fri Sep 5th, 2008 5:03pm Post subject: I need some gift help
I took the quote idea and made a quote cube, i looked for quotes concerning work and university. I went with a gift bag in the end, the personal touch will come from the letter that i've included.

Thanks for all the suggestions, i'm going to see her tomorrow. Fingers crossed she'll like it.

Sidthespid

Posted Tue Sep 9th, 2008 4:33pm Post subject: I need some gift help
Did she like it?

Lauz

Posted Tue Sep 9th, 2008 7:32pm Post subject: I need some gift help
She did thank you.