Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

A_Nurse

Posted Tue Feb 10th, 2009 9:29am Post subject: Ian Brady: A fight to die

Senior Labour spokesman and MP for Highbury and Islington, Grace Shepherd has reacted strongly to suggestions that British judges are contemplating the possibility of allowing Ian Brady to starve himself to death.

Brady has for many years argued that he should be allowed to die if he chose to, ‘abstain from food over a prolonged period of time’. Claiming that his life was not worth living, he said that he should be “permitted to leave this life for possibly a better one else where”.

One psychiatrist, Tony Madden, supported Brady in court saying his decision to starve himself to death was “unimpaired by his mental illness”.

For the first time high court judges in Britain are beginning to debate whether or not he should indeed be granted his request.

However the possibility that Brady should be allowed to kill himself has drawn a hostile reaction from several politicians notably the Rt Hon Grace Shepherd, MP for Highbury and Islington. Talking to our home affairs correspondent she said,

“The thought that in this day and age we should actually be discussing the possibility of allowing another fellow human being to starve himself to death is totally abhorrent to me. I’m sure we could be looking at ways of helping this man to live rather than assisting his death. Quite how he has managed to get himself in this state of mind I don’t know. It just shows how some people’s lives can take a turn for the worst when you least expect it. For me he is still the greatest player to ever have put on an Arsenal shirt and, as an aging Gooner, I will always be thankful to him for that. ”

.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

obsidio

Posted Tue Feb 10th, 2009 11:18am Post subject: Ian Brady: A fight to die
To be honest I find this weird rather than funny and its not because I lack a sense of humour.

gadgetgirl

Posted Tue Feb 10th, 2009 12:15pm Post subject: Ian Brady: A fight to die
http://www.bitethenews.com/2008/12/31/ian-brady-a-fight-to-die/

That would be me.

Nitro

Posted Tue Feb 10th, 2009 1:43pm Post subject: Ian Brady: A fight to die
How far do we go to legally support the complete autonomy of the individual?

Too many terminally ill people are expected to suffer relentless torment till their very last breath because doctors are unwilling to or not allowed to assist them in leaving this world peacefully and with dignity.

Really? Wow.

obsidio

Posted Tue Feb 10th, 2009 1:46pm Post subject: Ian Brady: A fight to die
Ok so this is a real news article. In that case I think its even worse. Why on earth would anyone write an article about a man who shares his name with one of the most egregious child molestors in recent history and not make the distinction early on? Am I supposed to be aware on beginning to read that both an infamous convicted criminal and some obscure aging football star with issues share the same name?

Thanks for posting the link.

obsidio

Posted Tue Feb 10th, 2009 1:48pm Post subject: Ian Brady: A fight to die
I do think it raises an interesting question and I have some strong opinions on people having control over their own lives but this is a writing forum and not a general discussion forum. Technology is only as good as the people who use it.

A_Nurse

Posted Tue Feb 10th, 2009 5:17pm Post subject: Ian Brady: A fight to die
http://www.bitethenews.com/2008/12/31/ian-brady-a-fight-to-die/

The blaggard has nicked my story.