Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Fryed Pigeon

Posted Tue Dec 16th, 2008 12:59am Post subject: ice storm across USA
hi, i heard about the ice storm in the usa and i was suprised to see pictures of twigs with a coating if ice whicker than the twig itself! wow... i've been to canada and it gotto minus 35 but the twigs there never got that frozen over. i know this might bea bore but how cold isit over there? today in london i wore a t shirt and didn't shiver!

gjhsu

Posted Tue Dec 16th, 2008 4:12am Post subject: ice storm across USA
Got to a mighty high of 35F in Austin, TX today. Quite pleasant, actually, and a departure from the norm. Perfect hat and coat weather!

Katrina

Posted Tue Dec 16th, 2008 6:51am Post subject: ice storm across USA
I don't know the exact temperature, but when after I got inside from walking around, my face was bleeding all over. Whatever, it's winter! It's not really about the temp, though, it's the WIND!

Side note: the locks on my freaking car were frozen, so I had to run to the sorority house, get some hot coffee-water, and run back and pour it on the locks. And it took about a half hour to feel all my fingers again. I've concluded that 30 seconds without gloves=30 minutes of thawing. So there's my example of the icy-ness in Indiana. X-D

EDIT: Okay, I checked: it's 11 F, but apparently it feels like -1. I trust weather.com's judgment, because I sure as hell am not going outside to check!

Open to suggestions as to what my sig should consist of...

Nitro

Posted Tue Dec 16th, 2008 12:39pm Post subject: ice storm across USA
I have freinds in Indiana and they are not too happy about the cold either.

I think earlier this year the Farmers Almanac predicted not necessarily a ton of snow, but a longer and colder winter than usual.

Freinds in New England have lost power for several days. The ice freezes and weighs heavy on power lines and trees break and it's generally a cold mess. In certain light, the ice is kind of pretty. Living where I do, I can think like that for another month

X-D

Really? Wow.

Maxx England

Posted Tue Dec 16th, 2008 1:24pm Post subject: ice storm across USA
I think the American power line failures are due to their pylons being a different (cheap) design to UK. If we get a broken cable, it's only broken with no damage to the pylons or the rest of the line. My understanding is that when a US cable breaks, it takes so much tension off the pylons either side of the break, they collapse and so, sequentially, do a lot of others. This makes repairs slow and expensive as you're not dealing with just one fault.

Correct me if I'm wrong though.

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?

michael

Posted Tue Dec 16th, 2008 9:30pm Post subject: ice storm across USA
happens in oklahoma almost every fucking winter. or at least every-other.

i finished up chopping up last winter's damaged trees this june.

sorry for the eff word.

it's just nothing new to me, and this one isn't as bad as some previous.

i don't know anything about if what you said is true maxx. but i imagine getting trucks out to do repairs is difficult, cause the roads are an ice rink, not a snow wonderland. as are the poles the technicians climb, etc.

"HELLO I'M TACTILE !" is an anagram of my name

IdeaCollector

Posted Wed Dec 17th, 2008 6:13pm Post subject: ice storm across USA
skidded round a bit yesterday on the roads but today things look a bit better. will check on the way to the post office.

yesterday had a bit of madness as well when i came out of the bank to find lovely freezing rain. nothing like being pelted with tiny tiny bits of ice to set the day in motion.

I used to be EternalStudent on these forums until the switch over. So don't get excited..I'm not someone new and exciting. I'm just me :P

TobiasMonk

Posted Thu Dec 18th, 2008 3:05am Post subject: ice storm across USA
I think the American power line failures are due to their pylons being a different (cheap) design to UK. If we get a broken cable, it's only broken with no damage to the pylons or the rest of the line. My understanding is that when a US cable breaks, it takes so much tension off the pylons either side of the break, they collapse and so, sequentially, do a lot of others. This makes repairs slow and expensive as you're not dealing with just one fault.

Correct me if I'm wrong though.

I wouldn't say it's because they are cheaply designed, but that their design has to take into consideration worst case geographic conditions and distance. I think that the size of the U.S. together with these many varied geographic conditions have more to do with failure than cheap design. And it isn't one design being used, there are a lot of different pylons across the U.S. so it isn't likely that they're all cheaply designed.....but then again I'm not an electrical engineer.

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

Maxx England

Posted Thu Dec 18th, 2008 1:41pm Post subject: ice storm across USA
As previously mentioned, getting repairs done under adverse conditions can be so hard as to be impossible. Designs of pylons: America, for all the complaints by Americans, appears to be less heavily regulated in many areas of business and life than Britain and europe. This is a probable reason for the variety of designs in use, and there may well be no federal or state directive about storm survivability.

Your mission Tobias, should you choose to accept, it is to find out the facts. This tape will lose it's substrate in 35 years.

michael

Posted Thu Dec 18th, 2008 5:00pm Post subject: ice storm across USA
deleted cause i don't really know what i was trying to say

i'm all wierd today sorry.

Maxx England

Posted Sat Dec 20th, 2008 12:55pm Post subject: ice storm across USA
It's sort of humorous commonplace here for people, when considering a task either impossible or pointless/tedious/undesirable to say "Your mission" etc. That's what it's about.

The other thing is that sometimes you can be having a light hearted conversation, and something serious is raised in the middle of it. That happens, and sometimes, right in the middle of something serious, there is laughter. That's how it is.

TobiasMonk

Posted Sat Dec 20th, 2008 5:26pm Post subject: ice storm across USA
As previously mentioned, getting repairs done under adverse conditions can be so hard as to be impossible. Designs of pylons: America, for all the complaints by Americans, appears to be less heavily regulated in many areas of business and life than Britain and europe. This is a probable reason for the variety of designs in use, and there may well be no federal or state directive about storm survivability.

Your mission Tobias, should you choose to accept, it is to find out the facts. This tape will lose it's substrate in 35 years.

I wish I had time for this mission Maxx, but I'm afraid I'm at risk of losing my own substrate in considerabley less than the aforementioned 35 years X-D

You've made a valid point though about the regulation aspect, because here there are a lot of variables to consider. Our federal government may not play a big role, if any, when it comes to pylon design, construction etc. unless it is on federal land. Those determinations most likely fall to our individual state governments which have different needs, agendas and let's face, it incomes. I will say this though, give Texas or Oklahoma the best built non American made pylon and put it anywhere out here in tornado alley and I guarantee you it won't fare any better because to date nothing can. So then the question becomes, do we spend a lot of money on something that's only going to need replacing anyway? Probably not, so until we come up with something that can withstand extreme weather conditions, or is indestructable, we're better off making them less expensively. Mind you, this is speculation on my part because I haven't researched it, but if I were a betting man I'd say that this is the most probable reason for cheaper construction or design, if indeed that's what the issue is.

Again, due to heavy work load and the time constraints which inevitabley go along with it, I simply don't have the time to do the required research.
Regards,
Mr. Moneypenny

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

ysabella

Posted Sun Dec 21st, 2008 7:21am Post subject: ice storm across USA
It's been very snowy here, and another storm is blowing in tonight. There may be an ice storm in the more southwest part of Washington state, but hopefully not around my house.
Still, best plan is to stay in tomorrow. This level of snow and iciness is very unusual in greater Seattle; there aren't enough snowplows, etc. Although when I was out today, I was pleased at how carefully most people were driving.

Katrina

Posted Sun Dec 21st, 2008 10:14pm Post subject: ice storm across USA
Okay, so I woke up this morning and walked downstairs, where, to my surprise, I saw...

I mean, come ON! REALLY? This is, like, the third time our deck has been smashed/broken because of various stormy conditions.

Here's another icy photo of our yard, if you're at all interested:
http://i427.photobucket.com/albums/pp358/kgaltb00/12-21-08/DSCN0243.jpg

It's like that everywhere, and trees are falling down all over the place and ice is constantly being flung at our windows, causing me to look around confusedly. I've seen bad winters and driven on really dangerous roads, etc., but I've never seen anything like the last few days! The funny thing is, we still have power... for now!

So yeah, there's my visual contribution, and I can attest to the fact that it is icy and wintery here.

Open to suggestions as to what my sig should consist of...

michael

Posted Mon Dec 22nd, 2008 4:19am Post subject: ice storm across USA
Those determinations most likely fall to our individual state governments which have different needs, agendas and let's face, it incomes. I will say this though, give Texas or Oklahoma the best built non American made pylon and put it anywhere out here in tornado alley and I guarantee you it won't fare any better because to date nothing can.

yup...that would make it difficult to even start trying. the money's best spent on a good storm cellar....otherwise the proposed "superstrong" highline wire poles will fly around and pierce the shelter.

nah, i don't know if that's true.

hope my comments didn't make you mad maxx, weren't intended to. of course i'm lighthearted and serious back and forth (oh god am i... ) but i do get kinda too self-reflecting, wondering for hours why i don't understand another person, worried if they'll like me if i don't talk or act like they do...when the simple answer is, well, we're all different.

days have been all over the place lately and sometimes even i don't know what i was thinking.