Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

WhyGenTom

Posted Mon Dec 22nd, 2008 10:26am Post subject: ice storm across USA
Got to a mighty high of 35F in Austin, TX today. Quite pleasant, actually, and a departure from the norm. Perfect hat and coat weather!

Damn metric system... what's 35f when it's at home? lol.

It's nice to see it being wintery in winter... can't really complain, and once more you can't blame Jeremy Clarkson.

Maxx England

Posted Tue Dec 23rd, 2008 1:07pm Post subject: ice storm across USA
I see footage of Tornado Alley when you get a more-nasty-than-normal one, I'm just surprised you don't all live at least partly underground.

I suppose there are constraints about putting the power lines underground where rain nor snow nor glom of nit (Pratchett reference, if you know it) can get at them.

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?

Katrina

Posted Tue Dec 23rd, 2008 9:28pm Post subject: ice storm across USA
I see footage of Tornado Alley when you get a more-nasty-than-normal one, I'm just surprised you don't all live at least partly underground.

The memory of our last tornado makes me giggle because half our school was at the mall when it happened, so they all had to stay there forever and a day. And plus, the entire Kohls was destroyed! Noooooooo! I don't know where I was, but apparently it didn't make too much of an impression on me.

Open to suggestions as to what my sig should consist of...

michael

Posted Wed Dec 24th, 2008 9:53am Post subject: ice storm across USA
the main constraint is the $500,000 per mile pricetag. they are burying some, but burying it all is impossible.

storm cellars aren't attached to houses here, but seperate "bunkers" out in the backyard. cause around here anything like a basement or cellar will get water seeping into it. you have to pump the water back out every spring before storm season starts. (i was all childlike giddy the first time i lived in an area of the country that could handle a regular basement...i'd never seen that before) so yeah...we wouldn't live underground.

besides, that would be hella boring and depressing. you'd miss all the fun of seein the storm appear. you're not chicken are ya?

"HELLO I'M TACTILE !" is an anagram of my name

michael

Posted Wed Dec 24th, 2008 10:05am Post subject: ice storm across USA

The memory of our last tornado makes me giggle because half our school was at the mall when it happened, so they all had to stay there forever and a day. And plus, the entire Kohls was destroyed! Noooooooo! I don't know where I was, but apparently it didn't make too much of an impression on me.

heh.heh....i can hear it now..."no not the kohls!"

most recent one was this spring when i woke up and it sounded like some giant threw the house into a dishwasher....kathunkathunkathunkathunka...and sounds like swirling water.and we couldn't see anything, it was middle of the night and the power was out....by the time i cranked up the free play radio and turned it on we'd already been under a warning for some time. i gotta get the weather radios that wake me up for it! hahaha. becoming too sound a sleeper!

Corona

Posted Wed Dec 24th, 2008 1:35pm Post subject: ice storm across USA
I think I like it here. We can get floods and things but our wether doesn't try to kill us.

TobiasMonk

Posted Fri Dec 26th, 2008 2:26am Post subject: ice storm across USA
most recent one was this spring when i woke up and it sounded like some giant threw the house into a dishwasher....kathunkathunkathunkathunka...and sounds like swirling water.and we couldn't see anything, it was middle of the night and the power was out....by the time i cranked up the free play radio and turned it on we'd already been under a warning for some time. i gotta get the weather radios that wake me up for it! hahaha. becoming too sound a sleeper!

I can see I'm going to have to send you that public alert/weather emergency radio.

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

Katrina

Posted Fri Dec 26th, 2008 7:07am Post subject: ice storm across USA

Dude, for real, the Kohl's is pretty much our most patronized business. Well, it used to be... X-D And I never know when there's a warning/watch, either (I don't even know the difference, even though I make people explain it to me EVERY time).

Open to suggestions as to what my sig should consist of...

michael

Posted Sat Dec 27th, 2008 3:45am Post subject: ice storm across USA

Dude, for real, the Kohl's is pretty much our most patronized business. Well, it used to be... X-D And I never know when there's a warning/watch, either (I don't even know the difference, even though I make people explain it to me EVERY time).

HAHAHA! easy: watch=go about your business. until sky turns black or green.

warning=if you're near sirens, you'll hear them. and i can hear the NWS announcement in my head..."go to the northwest corner of your basement or lowest floor of your building, stay away from exterior walls and windows and turn on your battery powered radio...." they don't say "jump in the bathtub" but that's not a bad fix either....

corona, i understand what you're saying...but after growing up here, i feel wierd living or even visiting anywhere where nature is not dangerous. it just doesn't feel right.

Nitro

Posted Sat Dec 27th, 2008 4:34am Post subject: ice storm across USA
The unpredictable power of Nature fills me fairly frequently with a humble sense of sincere awe.

Earthquakes, hurricanes, floods, snow storms, sand storms, tornados, we can't put a bit in Natures mouth and control it, it won't be dominated or dictated to and feels no sentiment nor guilt. for obliterating utterly the high works of humans in seconds flat.....Respect, yo X-D

Really? Wow.

Shader

Posted Sat Dec 27th, 2008 4:37am Post subject: ice storm across USA
Got to a mighty high of 35F in Austin, TX today. Quite pleasant, actually, and a departure from the norm. Perfect hat and coat weather!

Damn metric system... what's 35f when it's at home? lol.

It's nice to see it being wintery in winter... can't really complain, and once more you can't blame Jeremy Clarkson.

Fahrenheit to Celsius Converter

Don't know if anyone ever did the conversion

35F = 1.67C

Shader

Posted Sat Dec 27th, 2008 4:39am Post subject: ice storm across USA
The unpredictable power of Nature fills me fairly frequently with a humble sense of sincere awe.

Earthquakes, hurricanes, floods, snow storms, sand storms, tornados, we can't put a bit in Natures mouth and control it, it won't be dominated or dictated to and feels no sentiment nor guilt. for obliterating utterly the high works of humans in seconds flat.....Respect, yo X-D

Don't forget landslides/mudslides, forest fires, and volcanoes!

We have everything!

Nitro

Posted Sat Dec 27th, 2008 4:44am Post subject: ice storm across USA
Thanks for the addition Shader. I'd thought of mentioning solar flares and meteorites as well but decided to try to reserve the disasters for this atmosphere. . X-D

Really? Wow.

michael

Posted Sat Dec 27th, 2008 11:42pm Post subject: ice storm across USA
hahahaha!!! now i'm really cracking up.

i guess there's not anyplace we can't be overpowered by nature, and i love that. but places like....tokyo....make me feel really strange, like that's all out of balance.

this might sound wierd, but when i think about dying i'd rather an animal eat me than have some human murder me or be run down by a car. i don't really want to be buried OR cremated, when i could help somethin out by being dinner.

btw, this morning we had that dishwasher sound again and ALmost a tornado warning. then the power was out for most of the day.