Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

PamJH

Posted Fri Jan 30th, 2009 5:15am Post subject: I'd like a book of British history
It needs to be one that shows the nation's history, warts and all. I don't want a school textbook, as those usually show the bright side and tone down the dark the way American textbooks do. We have Howard Zinn over here to provide another look at American history, so I'm wondering if you know of an author like him.

The thing is, it has to be understandable for teenagers. I homeschool my kids and they've expressed a wish to learn more British history.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jarus

Posted Fri Jan 30th, 2009 2:22pm Post subject: I'd like a book of British history
Hmm a tall order had it been for younger children I wouldn't have hesitated in reccomending the Horrible Histories books. However as your kids are already in the realms of adolescence I assume they wouldn't be particularly impressed if handed a series of childrens books?

Simon Schama is normally a safe bet and his A History of Britain series seems like a fairly comprehensive look at British history.

Edit: Fixed fail link

Hank Moody

Posted Fri Jan 30th, 2009 3:36pm Post subject: I'd like a book of British history
The problem witht hat, is the particular era of British history and which area; are you interested in a broad range, military, medical or industrial history? are you interested in the history of law?

Maxx England

Posted Fri Jan 30th, 2009 4:00pm Post subject: I'd like a book of British history
AJP Taylor is an author to pursue perhaps.

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?

PamJH

Posted Fri Jan 30th, 2009 7:01pm Post subject: I'd like a book of British history
The problem witht hat, is the particular era of British history and which area; are you interested in a broad range, military, medical or industrial history? are you interested in the history of law?

They're particularly interested in the 20th century, both world wars and the like. They also have expressed an interest in child labor and the servant class. They have learned that wealthy families (years ago) had a raft of servants and they're curious about how such households were maintained and how people were treated.

My son also likes to read about battles, such as Agincourt, the American Revolution from the British view and things like that. I hope that helps. I should have been more specific.

PamJH

Posted Fri Jan 30th, 2009 7:02pm Post subject: I'd like a book of British history
And thanks, Jarus and Maxx, for your suggestions. I'll look into these books and authors.