Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

pebbles

Posted Fri Aug 13th, 2010 6:46pm Post subject: If its not too rude to ask...

I'm 27 and currently in a state of "Is that it?!". I know very well that I never left the idealistic world of pirate stories etc., and that I don't get along (and mostly don't want to) with people who have. However, I can be interested in most of the topics that I once thought were meant for "adults", alongside the things that I've always been interested in. So is this "adulthood"? *headscratch* If it was I'd be very relieved, because the greyness and the dust haven't come. The questions didn't go away, it was the certainties that did. That could keep the rusting at bay for a while .
Anyway, I still feel like there's an "adult" world that I'm not a part of, but it's maybe more to do with the culture these days. People often don't seem to be interested in much, unless it starts with "self-", "health-", "safety-" or (better or even worse?) "celebrity" . Practically everything worth living for is still very much OUTSIDE that bubble, as far as I can see.

joan

Posted Sat Aug 14th, 2010 12:37am Post subject: If its not too rude to ask...

I'm 65 and have enjoyed all the Harry Potter books and films. I got a good honours degree from a leading university at the age of 60, so I've not gone into my 'second childhood' or anything.

I'm also still a leftie, quite militant sometimes, and nearly got arrested at a demonstration against a racist MP in my late 50s.

I have a husband and two grown sons, so I am not an alternative life-style person: I love gardening and taking my dog for a walk, and photography. But I do have a slight 'senile delinquent' side of me. My husband and I recently broke into a derelict building and took a lot of interesting pictures. Then we drove home in our normal little car and cooked tea

You can have it all - be grown up but still be young inside.

Stepherweps

Posted Sun Aug 15th, 2010 12:33am Post subject: If its not too rude to ask...

I'm 19.

If you are a tweeter, and wanna follow me, I'm @Stepherweps on twitter.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Sun Aug 15th, 2010 1:45pm Post subject: If its not too rude to ask...

joan said:
I'm also still a leftie, quite militant sometimes, and nearly got arrested at a demonstration against a racist MP in my late 50s.

It's good to see there are those who don't start shifting right the moment they start earning a wage and 'grow-up' (whatever that means). Age alone should never be the only factor in shifting your political views.

Assuming direct control...

merryway

Posted Wed Aug 18th, 2010 7:49am Post subject: If its not too rude to ask...

It would be quite interesting to make a statistic out of this and see how old is ordinary flluffete. But I fear there's no such a thing as ordinary flluffete.

Jeremy Dylan

Posted Wed Aug 18th, 2010 1:55pm Post subject: If its not too rude to ask...

20. 21 in March.

King of Australian Country Music, by decree of S Fry.
Benjamin Sniddlegrass and the Cauldron of Penguins

Goldie

Posted Wed Aug 18th, 2010 5:25pm Post subject: If its not too rude to ask...

I'm 67, 68 in three mths time. Blimey am I the oldest here?
So does maturity come with age, or does it depend on an individual person's thought process?
You can get some older people who seem immature for their age, and youngsters who seem mature beyond their age.

Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter. Mark Twain.

Gertrude Susanne

Posted Thu Aug 19th, 2010 1:29pm Post subject: If its not too rude to ask...

Welcome, Goldie!
One is only as old as one feels!
Since you have been following Stephen´s career through the years, we can learn a LOT from you (especially people like me, who grew up in a different corner of the world).
And hey, another November girl Would you like to go on our Fluffettes Birthday List?

LeJeunesse

Posted Thu Aug 19th, 2010 11:56pm Post subject: If its not too rude to ask...

joan said:
I'm 65 and have enjoyed all the Harry Potter books and films. I got a good honours degree from a leading university at the age of 60, so I've not gone into my 'second childhood' or anything.

I have a husband and two grown sons, so I am not an alternative life-style person: I love gardening and taking my dog for a walk, and photography. But I do have a slight 'senile delinquent' side of me. My husband and I recently broke into a derelict building and took a lot of interesting pictures. Then we drove home in our normal little car and cooked tea

You can have it all - be grown up but still be young inside.

You sound awesome!

Its excellent to know that theres hope I'll remain a leftie when I'm older

"that woman...of dubious and questionable memory." :P

@twitter

Goldie

Posted Fri Aug 20th, 2010 9:15am Post subject: If its not too rude to ask...

Gertrude Susanne said:
Welcome, Goldie!
One is only as old as one feels!
Since you have been following Stephen´s career through the years, we can learn a LOT from you (especially people like me, who grew up in a different corner of the world).
And hey, another November girl Would you like to go on our Fluffettes Birthday List?

Thank you for your welcome Gertrude Susanne And yes I would like to have my name in the 'Fluffettes' Birthday List. Its the 6th of November, a Scorpio yes, but the sting in the tail has reduced in its potency somewhat over my later years.

ACSarahAC

Posted Sat Aug 21st, 2010 11:30am Post subject: If its not too rude to ask...

I turned 34 in June. Got a ticket to Stephen Fry's Sydney Opera House show as a birthday present!

\\\\\\\"When you look at Velazquez, listen to Mozart, read Dickens or laugh at Billy Connolly you are aware that what they do they do for the world and the results are, of course, magnificent. When you look at Blake, listen to Bach, read Douglas Adams or watch Eddie Izzard perform, you feel you are perhaps the only person in the world who really gets them.\\\\\\\"

kat1970

Posted Tue Aug 24th, 2010 10:52pm Post subject: If its not too rude to ask...

I'm 40 in September, my birthday present to myself is a ticket to see Stephen at the Royal Festival Hall in London on the 13th.

ACSarahAC

Posted Wed Aug 25th, 2010 9:01am Post subject: If its not too rude to ask...

Hooray for Fry-related birthday presents!

\\\\\\\"When you look at Velazquez, listen to Mozart, read Dickens or laugh at Billy Connolly you are aware that what they do they do for the world and the results are, of course, magnificent. When you look at Blake, listen to Bach, read Douglas Adams or watch Eddie Izzard perform, you feel you are perhaps the only person in the world who really gets them.\\\\\\\"

Don Wells

Posted Sun Jun 9th, 2013 12:20am Post subject: If its not too rude to ask...

Ever since reading auntyjoan's post on another forum thread (she admitted to being 70), I began to wonder if I might be the oldest Fry fan, at least on this site. In July 2069, to borrow someone else's yardstick, I shall be 135. (Come on, work it out!)
No, Goldie, maturity does not necessarily come with age. I'm still trying to achieve it before senility kicks in.
Just realized, these posts are nearly three years old. So is anyone going to read this? And you'll all be three years older and possibly too mature to bother with irrelevant questions like age.

joan

Posted Mon Jun 10th, 2013 8:53am Post subject: If its not too rude to ask...

I'm in a writers' group called 'Writers in the Library', and we meet every Wednesday morning. Most of us, but not all, are knocking on a bit. Anyway, we try to learn something new and write something different every week. I've done standard poetry, sonnets, short stories, a play, part way through two books, and last week i tried my hand at slam poetry, because one or two of the group had experienced being patronised, and they were very cross. Here it is (It is meant to be performed, with gestures and an angry tone etc):-

Beware the Baby Boomers

Don’t call us elderly
Don’t call us old
Don’t think for a minute we’re sweet.
We’re still the same people
Still feisty and bold
Who rocked to the Merseyside beat.

Don’t think for a minute
We’re shocked at your deeds
Or your radical ways are so new.
We might have looked sweet
In our sandals and beads
But our ways turned the atmosphere blue.

Our parents were sure
We’d be pure and so good
As we started to grow up and date
But we smashed all the barriers
Fought and withstood
While our ways won the freedom debate.

But new generations
Have no damn idea
That their absolute right to be free
Did not come from God
And did not just appear
It was fought for by people like me.

And that spirit remains
Though we might appear strange
And you find there’s no easy connection.
But the grey power we hold
Has the power to change
The results of the next big election!