Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Nitro

Posted Tue Jun 9th, 2009 9:22pm Post subject: If you could talk to anybody...
...in human History, who would it be? And if you could ask them questions, what would they be?

And just to make it a bit trickier...and maybe more fun...how do you think they'd answer?

Really? Wow.

Maxx England

Posted Wed Jun 10th, 2009 8:56pm Post subject: If you could talk to anybody...
I'd like to talk to my father about his gambling. A small and parochial issue you might think, but profoundly important to me.

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?

PamJH

Posted Wed Jun 10th, 2009 8:59pm Post subject: If you could talk to anybody...
I can think of about a half dozen, so let me toss it around the old gray matter and get back to you.

exoskeleton

Posted Wed Jun 10th, 2009 9:14pm Post subject: If you could talk to anybody...
it would be intimidating to speak with someone who is obviously so important to me I want to travel through time to reach them.
plus if I found out some special moment of history, no one would believe me when I got back.
there's no guarantee that my questions would be honestly answered either.
and I don't speak a common language with the vast majority of humanity throughout the millennia.

although I don't know the person and the year, I'd like to go back and talk to my first ancestor who came to America. from what I can tell it must have happened pretty early on, early 19th century at the latest. hopefully it would be someone from England or else the language barrier would be rather limiting. anyway I'd ask how their life had been, why they wanted to come to America, what they were expecting, and if they had any other interesting stories. nothing too remarkable.

sockdolager.

CollectorManiac

Posted Thu Jun 11th, 2009 12:33am Post subject: If you could talk to anybody...
Until I can think of something more meaningful and interesting
Person: Peter Cook
Question: Will you marry me?
Answer: -something in the affirmative but with his wonderful wit with any luck-

Nitro

Posted Thu Jun 11th, 2009 4:10am Post subject: If you could talk to anybody...
Tango.. X-D X-D X-D

Let's make this easy...since you can travel back in time or the great beyond or whatever, let's just assume your person and you CAN understand each other and there's no 'barrier' in language.

Maxx, you didn't answer one question: How do you think the person would answer?

Really? Wow.

Maxx England

Posted Thu Jun 11th, 2009 3:16pm Post subject: If you could talk to anybody...
There would be excuses like he gave my mother. There would then be strong and short words spoken by me. Many of them would be very short.

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?

forumer

Posted Thu Jun 11th, 2009 5:28pm Post subject: If you could talk to anybody...
I would really like to speak with Galileo Galilei... I problably would ask why he denied and betrayed his work and himself. Answer would be a little disappointing I think... perhaps sth like "I don't want to die and I was afraid"

Nitro

Posted Thu Jun 11th, 2009 5:31pm Post subject: If you could talk to anybody...
There would be excuses like he gave my mother. There would then be strong and short words spoken by me. Many of them would be very short.

I think Peter O'Toole wrote a book, an autobio I think..gosh..anyway, he talks about his dad being a betting type...

Over here gambling's seen as an addiction like heroin or cigarettes ( poor cigarettes being lumped in with those two, it ain't fair! )...it's an addiction of obsession I guess...but they show chemical changes in the brain that take place that would produce a 'high' and then, like with drugs, one is always chasing that high....not an excuse just an influence on judgement and choices really...

Anyone else Maxx? Ceasar? Don Quixote? Oh wait, he was fictional right?

New rule: NO fictional characters!

Really? Wow.

4orty2

Posted Thu Jun 11th, 2009 5:48pm Post subject: If you could talk to anybody...
I've always wanted to know what Douglas Adams thought of the latest (and probably last) Hitchhiker's movie. So if I had a chance to talk to him I would probably ask him that question ... and if there's a life after death. But the question about the movie is more important ...

Nitro

Posted Thu Jun 11th, 2009 11:20pm Post subject: If you could talk to anybody...
I've always wanted to know what Douglas Adams thought of the latest (and probably last) Hitchhiker's movie. So if I had a chance to talk to him I would probably ask him that question ... and if there's a life after death. But the question about the movie is more important ...

I never saw the first one they made. Strike that, I saw part of it. Which is like not seeing at all I guess. Anyway, I wasn't even aware they were making another. Is it a sequel or a totally new story? Hitchhikers was just one book, wasn't it?

Oh dear, my Adams-ignorance is showing :-//

Really? Wow.

Desdemona

Posted Thu Jun 11th, 2009 11:56pm Post subject: If you could talk to anybody...

I never saw the first one they made. Strike that, I saw part of it. Which is like not seeing at all I guess. Anyway, I wasn't even aware they were making another. Is it a sequel or a totally new story? Hitchhikers was just one book, wasn't it?

Oh dear, my Adams-ignorance is showing :-//

Nice one 4orty2, also.. whats the meaning of life? and why 42.

O__O Nitro.
4 books my dear [= they are brillaint.

I would ask to speak to Edgar Allan Poe, just before he mysteriously died under mysteriouse circumstances and ask what inspired him. I would probably get a nonsence answer because i hear he was 'loosing it' towards the end.

Skip Life and come with me?

MarthaPants

Posted Thu Jun 11th, 2009 11:59pm Post subject: If you could talk to anybody...
Oscar Wilde, no question there. Only that I wouldn't actually talk to him. I would just sit there, staring with awe.

ginj

Member *

Posted Fri Jun 12th, 2009 12:38am Post subject: If you could talk to anybody...
I think, Thomas Jefferson. I know he is not without his controversies, but he was such a brilliant man in so many different areas. I remember going to Monticello when I was 13 and being amazed at all of his inventions (I already had a bit of a crush on him even before I went there). He really did have a great mind. And what would I ask? Hmm...I am not sure. Probably the same thing I would ask Mr. Fry, "blub blur blub blub" as liquids escape from several orafices at once. X-D I don't think I would be able to put together a coherent sentence. Oh wait I know, I would ask if I could follow them around and watch how they did things and how their minds work, so that I could learn things from them.

PamJH

Posted Sun Jun 14th, 2009 3:53pm Post subject: If you could talk to anybody...
Ok, I've though about it. I'll bet you were just on the edge of your seating waiting for me to respond, Nitro.

1. Benjamin Franklin. I know a ton has been written about him already, but I would ask him about the source of his conviction. Why would a man who obviously would have been successful under either government risk his life for the revolution? What would he say? Probably the same things I've read, but I would hope for a little more insight. Perhaps he was looking years and years into the future. And that leads to another question I'd ask. What do he think America would look like in 100 years? 200 years? Not that I think he'd predict the internet, but I'll bet he'd come to the conclusion that the world would become a very small place and that the US would somehow find its place in that world. Now I'm babbling. Perhaps I would just hope for a freewheeling conversation with one of the greatest minds in history.

2. My great-grandfather who emigrated from Alsace-Lorraine in the early 1900s. I say Alsace-Lorraine because that's what my grandmother told me. I'd ask him why he came. And then I'd also ask him how he managed after my great-grandmother died shortly after the birth of her 12th child, my grandmother. He never remarried. The older kids were farmed out, I know, but what else happened? My grandmother never said anything except that everyone had a very hard life and that she preferred not to talk about it. I'm sure he'd say he came here for opportunities he couldn't find in Europe. Then I'd ask if he was satisfied with his decision. I'm guessing he'd say yes. But then I'd want to know about the old country, the one I'll never see.