Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Maxx England

Posted Sun Jun 14th, 2009 11:11pm Post subject: If you could talk to anybody...
Mohammed. Find out what he actually said and what the words actually meant. As with all information transmitted over long distances or time via many links, I have a feeling that what much of what is said in his name today is often a profound distortion.

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?

PamJH

Posted Mon Jun 15th, 2009 5:38am Post subject: If you could talk to anybody...
Mohammed. Find out what he actually said and what the words actually meant. As with all information transmitted over long distances or time via many links, I have a feeling that what much of what is said in his name today is often a profound distortion.

That's a good one, Maxx. I wish I'd thought of it.

Maxx England

Posted Tue Jun 16th, 2009 10:21pm Post subject: If you could talk to anybody...
We have many immigrants in this city, and they quite naturally want to live close to their family and friends and work, so the all congregate in one area. This means, and it's a common reaction to living in a foreign land for most people, they look inwards to themselves rather than outwards to their hosts. We then have eejits like the BNP regarding them as hostile parasites and causing trouble.

It would be better to bring people together and have a damn good time rather than continue a downward spiral of isolation and rejection, and you can't do that without getting face to face and breaking bread together.

Nitro

Posted Wed Jun 17th, 2009 12:46am Post subject: If you could talk to anybody...
When ideology and reality collide, there's always a broken heart or two in attendance.

One would think ( maybe ) that in a small area being shared that those with profound differences in behavior, socially anyway, would somehow become one group. But have a look inside NYC as it is, and you'll see that human beings tend to stick with those they identify with most. There were plenty of cultural clashes as people from different countries settled there ( and sometimes there still is ). It seems to be that those who appreciate all the differences and manage to move themselves easily in and out of all the different groups are in the minority, not the majority.

Human beings huh?

Really? Wow.

PamJH

Posted Wed Jun 17th, 2009 8:46pm Post subject: If you could talk to anybody...
When ideology and reality collide, there's always a broken heart or two in attendance.

One would think ( maybe ) that in a small area being shared that those with profound differences in behavior, socially anyway, would somehow become one group. But have a look inside NYC as it is, and you'll see that human beings tend to stick with those they identify with most. There were plenty of cultural clashes as people from different countries settled there ( and sometimes there still is ). It seems to be that those who appreciate all the differences and manage to move themselves easily in and out of all the different groups are in the minority, not the majority.

Human beings huh?

I guess we go with what we know, don't we? I like to break out of my comfort zone now and then, though. I keep thinking I'll miss something important if I don't.

philly452008

Posted Wed Jun 17th, 2009 11:22pm Post subject: If you could talk to anybody...
No doubt about it.Winston Churchill.Possibly the best politician of all time.
I wouldn't talk or ask questions,rather just sit and listen.

Maxx England

Posted Thu Jun 18th, 2009 4:53pm Post subject: If you could talk to anybody...
A complex man, and often much maligned by people who actually owe their life, liberty and freedom of thought, speech and action directly to him. Not an angel by any standards, but still a heroic figure.

Britannicus

Posted Tue Jun 23rd, 2009 1:28pm Post subject: If you could talk to anybody...
Someone from about 75,000 ya, when our species had that bottleneck event that brought us down to less than 10,000 people, maybe as few as 2,000. He or she might not be able to give me advice directly relevant to today or to my life, but damn, what a different world.

"Your room...it's CLEAN!!!"
"I prayed to God...and...it happened...but...where's my million dollars and horse!? Damn it!"

MoonLightSpiral

Posted Tue Jun 23rd, 2009 3:12pm Post subject: If you could talk to anybody...
No doubt about it.Winston Churchill.Possibly the best politician of all time.
I wouldn't talk or ask questions,rather just sit and listen.
Hahaha, I kind of agree with this. I named my pet chinchilla - Winston Churchilla, when I was 8. Kind of sad really?

But who I would really want to go back in time to see would be Salvador Dali, just to ask where he got his inspiration, especially for "Clocks".

Well, now I've expressed all of my opinions.. I'll just mosey along now...

RobertBruce

Posted Tue Jun 23rd, 2009 4:33pm Post subject: If you could talk to anybody...
Among many, I'd like to speak to Andy Warhol to ask just one question.

Andy, why a Campbell's soup tin and not Heinz?