Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

blackadder

Posted Mon May 7th, 2007 10:46pm Post subject: I'm hooked
Today celebrates two milestones, the first is my 49th birthday and the second is my first submission onto the forum, I have decided that all my entries will be addressed to Stephen in the hope he may read some occasionally and even reply, and so to business;

Lets start with Kingdom, what a brilliant series, a gently drama well written, well acted in beautiful locations, living only a few miles from where Stephen lives and the series was made I have to say its about time the beauty of North West Norfolk was shown for all to see, most dramas on TV are usually about strong northern accents so its nice to see a rebalance, OK Kingdom has had its Norfolk dialects slightly criticised but what do you expect, the Norfolk accent is historically one of the most difficult to mastered even by those fine character actors and actresses which have appeared, most of the country don’t really know a what a proper Norfolk accent sounds like, they probably thinks is a cross between the Wurzels and Jethro,
Anyway, the characters are well played and believable I especially like Celia Imrie who plays Gloria who I think has a very good accent of a middle-aged woman who has worked in a solicitors for years and who has tried to smooth out her accent, Celia plays Gloria very well, I know a few ladies like her who speak the same, Tony Slattery’s portrayal of Sidney Snell is lovely, Tony is a good comic actor and does the character proud, as every community has a Sidney Snell, but of course the character of Peter Kingdom is superbly played by Stephen, a kind, caring solicitor who would have thought a character like that could work but Stephen make it work brilliantly
The series will go from strength to strength, well done Stephen. Well done all!

You can take the man out of Norfolk but you can't take the Norfolk out of the man.

jemmo

Posted Wed May 9th, 2007 5:34pm Post subject: I'm hooked
I absolutely agree with blackadder.

And happy birthday for 2nd !!!!

girlracer

Posted Mon May 14th, 2007 12:11pm Post subject: I'm hooked
Me too! I love this programme, an English drama that only we know how to do! My mate Nick is art director, and I really envy his job- I want to work with Stephen Fry and Tony Slattery (among the rest of the totally fab cast).
One thing I really enjoy seeing is the beautiful Norfolk coast and skyline- I used to live in Norfolk as a child until the early 90s, and although there are a lot of things I DON'T miss, the sea and sky I certainly do (London doesn't have much sky!!) The accents are bearable, the Norfolk accent is a tricky one to get right and not one we're used to hearing on TV.
Oh Mr Spehen Fry, I love and adore you!! Thanks for bringing this to our screens and brightening up Sunday evenings again!

Patricia

Posted Mon May 14th, 2007 4:15pm Post subject: I'm hooked
I don't suppose any of you guys know who writes the legal stuff for the show? It is pretty funny!

blackadder

Posted Mon May 14th, 2007 10:04pm Post subject: I'm hooked
Hi Girlracer,

Glad there are people like you who appreciate good british drama when its made, being a norfolk man born and bred the accents on the whole are OK, some of the actors are actually pretty close, the coastly scenes are filmed in Wells -next -the -sea a beautiful place well worth a visit, Peter Kingdom's office is part of the old Grammer school building in Swaffham (Market Shipborough), the Town sign is the origanal they have only changed the name, it depicts the Pedlar of Swaffham, incidentally Stephen lives only a few miles from Swaffham so must have been nice to go home at the end of a days shooting rather than stay in a hotel,

Blackadder

PS
I liked your web site

You can take the man out of Norfolk but you can't take the Norfolk out of the man.

Norfolkian

Posted Sun May 20th, 2007 2:46pm Post subject: I'm hooked
I too think Kingdom is great! Very compelling, humorous and touching - all the things one could hope for in a drama.

I've recently moved from Norfolk and it makes me miss Norfolk so much! I only lived there for three years, but I feel it captured a part of my soul. I dearly hope to move back one day.

ClareBear

Posted Sun May 20th, 2007 6:41pm Post subject: I'm hooked
Thought I hadn't seen you about for awhile....

Norfolkian

Posted Sun May 20th, 2007 7:51pm Post subject: I'm hooked
Ah, no, sorry about that - got caught up in finishing my degree, being ill and moving home. Also I'm rubbish at remembering to check messageboards sometimes...