Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

what's going on??

Posted Thu Jan 10th, 2008 5:15pm Post subject: i'm so confussed
well actually i think most of us are confussed but my confusion lies in the world of choosing a career. i mean this is a lifetime choice what career will i like what will i earn planty of money doing. i mean doesn't it just suck when life kicks you up the ass and say's you've gotta lock up your dreams and live in the real world, well what if i don't want to what will happen then i'll probably be locked up in a mental hospital, and it seems to me that you are only alowed dreams if you have plenty of money to pay for them. i dunno i guess i'm just a bit synnical at the moment. what do you think?

ClareBear

Posted Thu Jan 10th, 2008 5:27pm Post subject: i'm so confussed
I'm hardly one to give advice, trained as an advertising designer and photographer, and I'm stuck in retail

Red Raven

Posted Thu Jan 10th, 2008 5:57pm Post subject: i'm so confussed
It basically boils down to this...do you want the job that you would enjoy and live a modest life making ends meet, or do you want to work a job that will make you miserable just so you can have a nice car and a big house to store the things you'll forget you have?

Very few people are lucky enough to get the job of their dreams, but isn't it worth trying? Life is short and you only get one chance at it. Do what feels right to you.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Thu Jan 10th, 2008 6:52pm Post subject: i'm so confussed
I'd go for the job of my dreams. I'm still trying, I can't just give up now. Being miserable just isn't worth it, what's the point then?

Assuming direct control...

AxmxZ

Posted Thu Jan 10th, 2008 7:38pm Post subject: i'm so confussed
Rubbish. Very few choose a career forever and ever. Even a lawyer can retrain herself into a doctor - and vice versa.

TobiasMonk

Posted Thu Jan 10th, 2008 8:01pm Post subject: i'm so confussed
I'd go for the job of my dreams. I'm still trying, I can't just give up now. Being miserable just isn't worth it, what's the point then?

You can do it!

tobypushesamylupthehill

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

alley

Posted Thu Jan 10th, 2008 8:02pm Post subject: i'm so confussed
i agree with axmxZ
Life is full of possibilities. who guarantees you that you'll like the job of your dreams for the next 30 years or so?
i chose the job of my dreams and usually have 2 weeks of the month to go when the money already ran out but i'm happy.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Thu Jan 10th, 2008 8:17pm Post subject: i'm so confussed

You can do it!

tobypushesamylupthehill

Awww thanks.

Life is full of possibilities. who guarantees you that you'll like the job of your dreams for the next 30 years or so?

Or alternatively you might not be happy with the specific place you end up working but you might be happier doing the same job elsewhere. It's amazing the difference the dynamics of the staff and environment can make. Anyway there's bound to be some bumps along the way. Don't think you have to manage to achieve your goals within a certain set time limit or within the same time span as your friends or what your tutors/careers advisors say.

Assuming direct control...

flookwit

Posted Fri Jan 11th, 2008 11:10am Post subject: i'm so confussed
Edited

Pseudo_lawyer

Posted Fri Jan 11th, 2008 7:05pm Post subject: i'm so confussed
Well, I'm speaking as someone who is going through something similar...I spent three years and borrowed over $90,000 to get a law degree, and now I think that I don't really want to be a lawyer. Oh, I will do it for at least a few years, but I feel called to do something else. My mom becomes annoyed with me when I talk about doing something else because she thinks I ought to use my law degree, for which I worked so hard and for which I incurred so much debt. My husband (also a lawyer) wants me to make a bunch of money. But I feel drawn to do something else...I won't go into it in detail, but I want to be a writer.

My attitude is basically this: if I'm willing to work hard enough, I can establish myself as a writer while I have the security of a job in law. Then if I'm good enough to be a full-time writer, I can live on money that I've saved. I don't think you have to give up your dreams because you don't have enough money, but you may have to find ways to ensure financial stability before you can really pursue your dreams. My uncle was a microbiologist, but he was always interested in making wood furniture. After 20 years in medical labs, he was able to leave his career and he started his own business where he repairs furniture and makes antique reproductions. If you don't insist on having expensive material things, then you can save a lot of money while you're working at a job you don't love, and you can use that money to finance your dreams.

Anyway. Confusion will pass. Remember to live in the moment as much as you can. You never know what you will discover tomorrow--you might find something (a job, a field) you like that you never thought you would like.